• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You could have frowned a bit and said slowly, "Well... It's probably a little light for deer, but it might do for coyotes. I dunno... will you take $350?"

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    I understand your thinking and I would have sprained my wrist reaching for my wallet but sometimes the "shut up and take my money" price in MD is the "sucker price" out in the sticks.

I'll give you $425.

No deal! I've wanted one since I was a kid!

Do they even take CC's at pawn shops way down dirt roads there? :lol2:

I didn't say dirt road, I said narrow road. Yes he took a card.

Seriously... Is this a joke? How in the world did he let that go for 400?

No joke. I was really hoping to find something like old Stanley planes or some other weird but useful tool they don't make anymore. Never know what kind of weird shit you'll find in the old pawn shops or barns down here. Somebody recently found a couple circa 1969 Chargers in a barn in these parts.

You could have frowned a bit and said slowly, "Well... It's probably a little light for deer, but it might do for coyotes. I dunno... will you take $350?"

Nah, price was too good as it was, wasn't gonna risk it.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton

I hear ya. So have I. I totally would have paid it. My first BB gun was a crossman M1 Carbine copy like the pic. I've wanted a real one ever since. Still don't have one.
    928c089a6c817142763f6c325881dabd.jpg

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama

I hear ya. So have I. I totally would have paid it. My first BB gun was a crossman M1 Carbine copy like the pic. I've wanted a real one ever since. Still don't have one.
    928c089a6c817142763f6c325881dabd.jpg

I vaguely remember those BB guns. I've gotten a few of the guns I wanted as a kid: 1911, Luger, .45 colt SA revolver (small c to denote caliber not make but I would like an actual Colt someday), M-1, C-96, M-1 carbine. Ones I will likely not ever have: Thompson, BAR, 1919, MG-34/42, M-3 greasegun, MP-40.

****in' 'ay right he did. :envy:

Neener, neener, neener :party29:

I just looked at the magazine, it's stamped UI.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Congrats! Man, I miss the South!

About 10 years ago I walked into a pawn shop in md and saw a nice Quality Hardware M1. Price tag said $125, I asked if that was right since it was written weird and in sort of a code. Guy told me no, that was what they paid for it so they had to have $250 for it. I was happy to pay that! Went on my way happy for having made that lunchtime stop.

Good finds out there at times. I think more in places with less $$.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    After my oil change this morning I went for a drive on backroads to get lost and see what I could see. Well I saw a rinky dink old pawnshop and popped in to see if they had any treasures. They did...a National Postal Meter M1 carbine with round bolt and 7-43 Underwood barrel for $400. Pics as soon as the camera battery charges.

PS- this was also my first NICS free purchase since they are not required if you have an Alabama concealed pistol permit.

Awesome!! :party29:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Scene: An isolated pawn shop in rural North Alabama. Bubba the Pawnbroker is laughing quietly as he drinks a beer and counts and recounts a small stack of $20 bills. Seeing his partner's truck pull up outside, he quickly stuffs five of the $20 bills in his pocket. Enter Cletus.

Cletus - Say there cousin Bubba, whatcha got there? Money? You done sold somethin!

Bubba - You won't believe it, Cletus. 'Member that flimsy little pop gun you said no one would ever buy? The one you wanted to trade for a $20 Walmart card at the Buy Back? Well some big ol' Yankee come in here 'n' gimme $300 dollars for it! Here's your half. (Gives him six $20 bills.)

Cletus - (Grabs the money eagerly.) $300 for that flimsy little pop-gun? He musta been a damfoolyankee!

Bubba - Well, he weren't no Rocket Scientist, that's for dam sure!

(Both laugh and guffaw for several minutes.)

Cletus - Now ifn we can only find eleven more damfoolyankees we can get rid of the rest of those dam popguns in the back!

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Nice find Bolts. I regularly go on gun runs. Get up early and drive 3 to 4 hours then turn around and hit every gun shop on my way home. I have found several gems over the years.

Feb 28, 2013
    Nice find Bolts. I regularly go on gun runs. Get up early and drive 3 to 4 hours then turn around and hit every gun shop on my way home. I have found several gems over the years.

Next time you're out thataway stop in Steele's on US-9 going into Lewes. He's got some cool stuff.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Congrats! Man, I miss the South!

About 10 years ago I walked into a pawn shop in md and saw a nice Quality Hardware M1. Price tag said $125, I asked if that was right since it was written weird and in sort of a code. Guy told me no, that was what they paid for it so they had to have $250 for it. I was happy to pay that! Went on my way happy for having made that lunchtime stop.

Good finds out there at times. I think more in places with less $$.

I once found Stanley #7 jointer plane made circa 1910 for $5. A bit of cleaning, new paint and new iron and she works like new. I think originals go for around $100 and new production by folks like Lie Neilsen run over $250.

If people think $400 is highway robbery, think of what the previous owner was given. lol

You can't get a new 30 cal carbine for that money, let alone an original.

Was probably there for close to 20 years.

Scene: An isolated pawn shop in rural North Alabama. Bubba the Pawnbroker is laughing quietly as he drinks a beer and counts and recounts a small stack of $20 bills. Seeing his partner's truck pull up outside, he quickly stuffs five of the $20 bills in his pocket. Enter Cletus.

Cletus - Say there cousin Bubba, whatcha got there? Money? You done sold somethin!

Bubba - You won't believe it, Cletus. 'Member that flimsy little pop gun you said no one would ever buy? The one you wanted to trade for a $20 Walmart card at the Buy Back? Well some big ol' Yankee come in here 'n' gimme $300 dollars for it! Here's your half. (Gives him six $20 bills.)

Cletus - (Grabs the money eagerly.) $300 for that flimsy little pop-gun? He musta been a damfoolyankee!

Bubba - Well, he weren't no Rocket Scientist, that's for dam sure!

(Both laugh and guffaw for several minutes.)

Cletus - Now ifn we can only find eleven more damfoolyankees we can get rid of the rest of those dam popguns in the back!

Don't I wish! Most of the pawn shops "in the city" down here would have had it around $1000.

I'll be doing more country pawn shop runs for sure.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    Next time you're out thataway stop in Steele's on US-9 going into Lewes. He's got some cool stuff.

I bought a Mosin there. Very cool little shop and very nice owner. Every flat surface including the floor is covered in guns. Not always clear what is a collection and what is for sale. :-)

What out for free ranging chickens in the driveway though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom