• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I have a fly fishing equipment qustion. I have still new to fly fishing, I have been fly fishing for two years, and am using a white river combo set, i got from bass pro for like 90 dollars or something. Its a good rod and reel, or i just do not know any better. So I want ot get a new rod this spring, and I dont want to go over 100 dollars for the set up.

How good are 40 dollars fly reel off of ebay? Any body ever buy "cheaper" priced fly rods( no reel) from walmart? Can I get a saltwater fly reel and use it at the local stream with the same performance of a non salt water fly reel in fresh water? If you guys have input on a fly rod set up for under 100 bucks please let me know, thanks?

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    What are you using the rod and reel for? Panfish? Trout? Bass? or maybe saltwater. Everything but maybe the saltwater you can get away with a very basic (cheap) fly reel. They pretty much just hold your line and you will usually fight the fish with your hands.
    Depending on your quarry and type of water you will be fishing, will determine what weight fly line you will be throwing. I strongly recommend you look at Temple Forks Fly rods. They are $900 rods for only $190-$250 and are guaranteed for life and BPS sells them.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    It is hard to get any kind of decent rod for the price point you are suggesting. The TFO rods are decent enough for the money. There plenty of decent asian rods in the $150 range. Orvis clearwater series comes to mind. You won't find anything decent at Wally world. It has been awhile since I've been to Basspro but they should let you cast the rods to see what feels good to you. As outrider58 said, what are you going to be fishing for and what do you expect from a rod?

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Forget the Fly stuff and and get into reel fishing.
    www.bassmaster.com
    www.mdbass.com

I does it all. I've flyfished for everything from salmon to tarpon on fly tackle. Spring and summer I spend on the tidal Potomac in my Ranger flipping, pitching and cranking for black bass. I spent my early years guiding people for trout on Maryland streams and before that, chasing blues and stripers on the bay with my granddad. And I ain't done yet!
    I say this, tongue and cheek.:D

Last edited:

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Look at Echo rods and tfo rods you can buy budget combo's for a reasonable price and they will be so much better then anything you can buy at Walmart. Unless you're chassing rockfish or bluefish in the bay put your money into the rod and line because the reel only comes into play with larger fish. Some of the online flyshops like Stillwater fly shop will give you a free fly line when you buy a rod or reel.

DrCatt

A Knight Without Armor
    Mar 11, 2013
    Carroll County
    It'll exceed your budget a little but when I upgraded from your setup to a mid grade TFO rod and Lamson reel it was a world of a difference

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    I bought a cheepo fly setup from WM just to give it a try, the only thing I have managed to do is tie new knots randomly it the tippet as I try to learn to cast

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    I bought a cheepo fly setup from WM just to give it a try, the only thing I have managed to do is tie new knots randomly it the tippet as I try to learn to cast

The dreaded 'wind knot'. Not really caused by wind but, by poor casting technique. It's impossible to give a casting lesson in writing but, a couple things to consider.
    1)Rod tip should travel in as straight a line as possible, not in an arc. You should, in theory, be able to stand in a space between two buildings and cast without hitting either wall.
    2)Just as in casting any fishing rod, the wrist and arm are used to 'load' the rod. As the rod straightens, it throws the line. Don't try to 'throw' the line using arm strength. Let the rod do the work.
    3)Your back cast requires the same amount of time the forward cast takes.
    4)Start your change of direction just before the 'loop' opens up(by the time your brain tells you to change direction, the loop will be open).

Hope I helped and didn't add more confusion.:)

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Nice advice, I want to go fishing really bad. I saw some stuff on Cabelas. I figure my budget is about 150, but I going to try to keep it down to a hundred. Mostly checking out stuff on sale, like $150 down to $99, you know...

I think my old rod was about 8 foot and some change. I like to try a little short, because some of the fishing holes are narrow, or I am just too much of a rookie to use a 10 + footer on tight spaces, off of 29 and gorman rd. Any advice on shorter rods such as a 8 footer?

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Nice advice, I want to go fishing really bad. I saw some stuff on Cabelas. I figure my budget is about 150, but I going to try to keep it down to a hundred. Mostly checking out stuff on sale, like $150 down to $99, you know...

I think my old rod was about 8 foot and some change. I like to try a little short, because some of the fishing holes are narrow, or I am just too much of a rookie to use a 10 + footer on tight spaces, off of 29 and gorman rd. Any advice on shorter rods such as a 8 footer?

8' is perfect for most small streams. I used an 8'3'' for years until I went down to a 7'6'' Powell rod for a 4 wt. I've caught 15# salmon on it too!

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I do not have enough well-rounded experience with fly rods to offer much assistance. By that I mean that I only have two fly rigs- a 4/5 weight graphite and a 7/8 weight saltwater graphite. I only fish floating weight-forward line and tie my own tapered leaders and tippets with fluorocarbon. I pretty much only fish top-waters with my fly rods- popping bugs, waterbugs, things like that. Everything else is fished subsurface on casting and spinning tackle.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

I have three Cabela's fishing rods (one fly and two spinning/casting) and they are all fantastic. Try one of theirs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I fished Big Hunting Creek with a 6' 3-weight bamboo rod, it's a little easier for a short rod (for me) in tight quarters like that. What weight and taper line are you using? What are you having problems with, or are you just looking to buy a new rod?

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    I fished Big Hunting Creek with a 6' 3-weight bamboo rod, it's a little easier for a short rod (for me) in tight quarters like that. What weight and taper line are you using? What are you having problems with, or are you just looking to buy a new rod?

I used to teach/guide on Big Hunting but haven't fished it in recent years. Does it still have a 'rock snot' problem? I still buy a trout stamp every year but, haven't fished it in three or four years.
    I built a few bamboo rods back in the day. Even had one impregnated with acrylic. Now they just hang on the wall.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I always liked longer rods for small streams. Hardly any casting, more of a placing the fly where I want it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom