• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BerBer5985

Apr 3, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I was just curious if anyone has a flat top ar with fixed front and rear iron sights with a scope? Also does anyone have pics using a see thru mount?

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    If it is a flat top you would have to co witness them. With an A2 upper then you would use an see thru mount with the scope on top of the handle.

BerBer5985

Apr 3, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    No handle. It has daniel defense rear BUIS and fixed iron front sight. I haven't really cone across any ar's that have a scope and still have the rear BUIS.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    BUIS = Back Up Iron Sight. If it's a fixed sight, is it really a backup sight? Larry Vickers runs that setup with an Aimpoint. You can do the same thing with an Aimpoint or an EOTECH. When you get to running a scope with magnification, you'll run into problems, mostly with not having enough room to run both, but also the rear sight getting in the way.

Jim

BerBer5985

Apr 3, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    ok...I was just toying with the idea of a scope, but I think red dot is going to be the way I go in the end. Just wondering if anyone uses the BUIS with a scope as a possibility.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I run my Primary Arms M3 and FTS magnifier setup with my BUIS. As long as you're not using the magnifier, co-witness works fine.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ...Just wondering if anyone uses the BUIS with a scope as a possibility.
    Not really a possibility. As pointed out above, "BUIS" means "Back Up Iron Sight", with "Back Up" being the operative portion of the expression. The iron sight is for a backup method of sighting if the primary (optic) goes down or comes off.

The simple answer to your question is also above: You cannot use an iron sight behind magnified optics, nor can the front sight be seen through magnified optics, so your answer is clearly "No, no one uses a BUIS "with" a scope.".

As soon as we add magnification, the focal plane is moved out toward the target and the focal length is shortened, putting the front sight WAY out of focus and usually rendered nearly invisible.

Any backup rear sight mounted on the rifle with a scope must be folded down in order to use the scope. If the scope dies, we chuck it, flip up the BUIS and carry on.

A BUIS can be used in conjunction with an unmagnified EOTech, Aimpoint, etc. and one can be used to zero the other, but one would typically not use both at once to shoot, even if they do co-witness, since it makes so little sense to do so.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I used a Primary arms red dot sight with elevated mount on my BM with fixed front sights.
    Front sight was a non issue.
    Sight could be seen at bottom of red dots veiw but not in the way.
    Now useing a Nikkon 223 scope. Again with fixed front sight that is a non issue.
    If you look for the front sight post on the lower powers you'll see it.
    But it does''nt interfere with the scopes veiw.
    Granted rear carry handle sight is removed.
    But scopes picture with front sight is a non issue:)

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I think the op means having a rear flip along with a magnified scope. Not using both at same time, just having both on the rifle. Which yes it seems the buis does get in the way.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    you could use both, but you'd need to mount the irons on canted off mounts like some people run mini-holo sights.
    miculek canted setup.JPG
    miculek using canted holo.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom