• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RB5082

Mar 6, 2015
    My apologies in if this has been asked before, but I'm somewhat confused on the difference between say a BAR and BAR C&R. What makes them different?

Nabla

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 17, 2013
    Baltimore City
    In my limited experience, I'd say the BAR C&R is amnesty-registered and thus transferable, while the label "BAR" might be ambiguous? Probably means the BAR is either a pre-sample or post-sample.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    No exactly sure what you're referring to, but if it's a Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR), I would assume a C&R BAR is an old\original machinegun that can be transferred strait to a C&R license holder's address, given that they fulfilled all the NFA requirements. I'm sure there were some re-manufactured BAR's, that do not fit the C&R requirement of being 50 years or older, which then must be transferred through a FFL/SOT. C&R machinguns in general typically demand a higher price, as they can be easier to transfer for C&R license holders, and are also inherently more valuable due to their age and collectabilty.

RB5082

Mar 6, 2015
    Thanks all that makes sense. I guess what confused me is I read all Bridgeport Thompsons are C&R and Machinegunprices.com breaks BARs into two categories. Really appreciate the perspective. Thanks again.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Yes thats correct, the C&R MGs are original manufacturer guns.

Non-C&R are people like Group Industries that made BAR receivers and took USGI parts and added them to make a MG.

There are many guns like this. Most often seen are Sten guns. People registered the tubes (Receivers) before 1986 and then put a Sten Parts kit onto them. Its much more rare to see an all original Sten.

Also Maxims and 1919a4s. New made sideplates were added to parts kits before 1986 to make a MG.

So in general C&R guns refer to all OEM receivers. Where non-C&R generally refer to after market receivers and rewelded receivers made from demilled receivers. In turn C&R commands more of a premium where non-C&R are more shooter grade.

RB5082

Mar 6, 2015
    Thanks so much - sorry to miss you all last Saturday. I was actually closing on my new toy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom