• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Been meaning to post this question, well finally here is the question of course with my comment:

Friends paid premium price for a goose hunt on the shore and the outfitter required them to assist in the set-up|take-down of the decoys. I would have advised him to rotate on one of them.

Should one expect to set-up|take-down the decoys, when hunting with an outfitter?

Thanks

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Yes. Especially snow goose hunting where the spread is probably 2 thousand decoys.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    Yes. Especially snow goose hunting where the spread is probably 2 thousand decoys.

:thumbsup: Goose, duck you will more than likely be asked to help out. The premium you pay is mainly for the location. Any jack wagon can call some birds. Hell I have been out with an outfitter who didn't even own a call, decoys and a flag.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    Hunted snow geese for the first time last fall, the guides and the six of us set up together, still took close to half an hour.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Been meaning to post this question, well finally here is the question of course with my comment:

Friends paid premium price for a goose hunt on the shore and the outfitter required them to assist in the set-up|take-down of the decoys. I would have advised him to rotate on one of them.

Should one expect to set-up|take-down the decoys, when hunting with an outfitter?

Thanks
    Yes and no.

I'd have to hear this "premium" price before commenting further. I have a friend who may be offering very reasonably priced morning hunts this year, all inclusive, all you'd do is show up with a gun, shells and a valid MD hunting license.

Fireman51

Feb 18, 2014
    I have hunted the shore a few times...typically the snow decoys are already set up, we just helped with the pick up. When you have a couple thousand decoys and shells, it does take a few extra hands...but it is worth it for the right hunt.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Guess I am from the old school, in my opinion the outfitters job is to have everything ready for the client (s). Some clients might have physical issues and fortunate enough to make it to the blind, to enjoy a day of hunting.

If the outfitter expects the clients to assist, that should be published up front, that way the client can make an informed decision. Not the morning of the hunt, hearing that you must set out the decoys.

Is it normal for the outfitter to also hunt with clients?

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I have been on two guided hunts for waterfowl and each time everything was set up ready to go when we got there. But we were pretty much hunting on the guides back yard so it was easier for them to have everything ready.

I went to a seminar that Sean Mann was giving at the Harrisburg show a few years back. One thing i remember is that he said he had the clients each carry in a dozen decoys or so and had them set them up with him.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Is it normal for the outfitter to also hunt with clients?

Depends on the client's skill level. Sometimes the outfitter/guide is the only one competent to make kills. Nice to have something to take home, even if someone else did the actual shooting vs the whole party being skunked and going home empty handed.

iggy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 26, 2013
    Depends on the client's skill level. Sometimes the outfitter/guide is the only one competent to make kills. Nice to have something to take home, even if someone else did the actual shooting vs the whole party being skunked and going home empty handed.

yep, there are a lot of times that I have taken out novices and let them have the first shots only to have to grab my gun and drop a bird or two as they fly off because the others are out of shells and didn't hit anything. I'm not a guide but I do act like one several times a year.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    yep, there are a lot of times that I have taken out novices and let them have the first shots only to have to grab my gun and drop a bird or two as they fly off because the others are out of shells and didn't hit anything. I'm not a guide but I do act like one several times a year.

And there's the field bag limit laws as well. More legal hunters, more birds can be taken; ie the guide can take his field limit as well.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    No mag restriction on snows.

I believe it depends on whether it is during the regular season or the conservation season. Notice that the two seasons are split. The regular snow goose season applies to all counties. The conservation season is entirely different days than the regular season and it only applies to certain counties. It also looks like the conservation season is the only time when "additional methods" are allowed.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/pdfs/MGB_Flier.pdf

Correct me if I am wrong though, because this has been one hell of a week. Two hours before I normally hit the sack and I can barely keep my eyes open.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Stand corrected on the snow limits. The late season ("conservation") is unlimited with no mag restrictions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom