• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 5amhunt

Dark And Early
    Oct 10, 2014
    Moco - was out on McKee Saturday saw 4 groups of 4 the earliest around 7 the last around 830. No high flying groups like i saw during the second split. The ponds were iced out was still able to decoy two sets but before they landed both groups were shot at by people WAY out of range and they peeled off. I guess that's just public land at its best. Any other reports out there??

iggy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 26, 2013
    Moco - was out on McKee Saturday saw 4 groups of 4 the earliest around 7 the last around 830. No high flying groups like i saw during the second split. The ponds were iced out was still able to decoy two sets but before they landed both groups were shot at by people WAY out of range and they peeled off. I guess that's just public land at its best. Any other reports out there??

We went out Friday and had some large groups of geese show interest but nothing decoyed in. We were hunting over water and there was a guy in a nearby field. He had one set come in and he shot and crippled one. It flew to about 100 yards from our spread and then attracted a few stragglers to that area. We ended up going after the cripple but it flew off.
    About an hour later we see the guy walking the water's edge looking for the bird. A small group started to circle an flew over the guy. When they went over him the were on their way down to us but still about 4-500 feet up. So the guy pops off three rounds, flares the geese, and then walks off. The worst part was that if he had shot one it would have landed in the middle of the creek and he would have had no way to get it. Its not just the public land....

I think we need some more cold.

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    Been seeing geese numbering in the thousands. And enough ducks to keep it fun. Northern Calvert on the pax.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Saw over 1,000 canadas Saturday and probably 10,000 snows on the eastern shore. Shot 2 short of a 5 man limit. A lot of birds staying high and circling then breaking off the decoys. Wary birds for sure. Saw a lot of ducks too but nothing came in.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    On the lower Potomac in St. Mary's there are lots of divers hanging out on the big water and lots of geese in fields. I haven't seen any puddle ducks--they don't seem to come until it's been super cold up north for a for a few weeks.

iggy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 26, 2013
    On the lower Potomac in St. Mary's there are lots of divers hanging out on the big water and lots of geese in fields. I haven't seen any puddle ducks--they don't seem to come until it's been super cold up north for a for a few weeks.

What is funny is that we saw bunches of mallards and black ducks during the early splits. They either all got shot or moved on already

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    So Any new reports? I'm planning in going Tuesday morning outside of chestertown to hunt geese and maybe a duck or two if I'm lucky. Are they flying good down around there? I was down there a little over a week ago but it was so foggy we did not see them till they were right on top of us and they were barely making any noise.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    We're hunting Earleville, yesterday was the first "good" day in 2 weeks. Between blue bird /mile high flying days and simply NOTHING flying days, it's been pretty bad lately. Guys in another pit about 400 yards from us sky busted all morning, some shooting around us but, for down there.... not much.

We killed 6 yesterday, had a lot of groups take second looks and then bug out.

I'm thinking you're gonna see birds. That upper eastern shore is hot, there's days when they're seeing (literally) tens of thousands in a morning.

We hunted the Grove Point public land last year a few times, this is basically across the Sassafras from Betterton. VERY hot spot for Canadas.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Went out Thursday morning at our place outside of Denton on the Choptank and got the only two mallards that came close and didn't see many others, while leaving we did see some woodies. My buddies went to our spot in the swamp by Blackwater Saturday(I've been sick) and limited out on Teal, gadwalls, widgeon, and mallards. They saw lots of ducks.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    We killed two geese saturday morning in baltimore county off harford road. Saw a lot more flying towards the south but managed to get a group of 3 and a single to come in close enough to shoot. We may have jumped the gun on the group of 3 because we didn't think they were gonna commit to land. It was a fun day none the less. We deer hunted until 8:15am then set up the spread which worked out perfectly.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Went out yesterday and only saw a few snow geese flying around. I guess that Canada geese did not like the snow or cold. There was a pond on the farm that had about 150 geese on it but they never left and I'm not one to bust then up and start shooting at them.

Chris0nllyn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 6, 2012
    Calvert County
    I've been wanting to go out lately, but haven't had the chance.

Hoping to get out there soon, but from what I've heard, it's been spotty so far (depending where you are).

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    What do you guys think this colder weather, particularly the extremely cold weather north, means for birds getting down here? I'm heading out on Saturday either way, just curious what people think. I've only been duck hunting for five seasons but it always seems there isn't much action until we get a big cold blast like this.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    What do you guys think this colder weather, particularly the extremely cold weather north, means for birds getting down here? I'm heading out on Saturday either way, just curious what people think. I've only been duck hunting for five seasons but it always seems there isn't much action until we get a big cold blast like this.

Should move new birds down. We're going out to chase snows on Sat. So I'll let you know.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater

I remember the 09/10 waterfowl season where it stayed cold for awhile that the ponds, rivers, and a lot of the bay frozen up. When that happens if you don't have any open water then the ducks go father south, like they did that year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom