• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Seems a few people have been asking questions.

See the attached PDF

View attachment LD-FRS-Bulletin-14-001.pdf

Bulletin 10-2

Last edited:

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    ...a firearm is considered a copy if it is both cosmetically similar to and has completely interchangeable internal components necessary for the full operation and function of one of the enumerated banned weapons.

By this definition, shouldn't a piston AR be kosher?

I wonder how many people will stop reading at "cosmetically similar."

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    By this definition, shouldn't a piston AR be kosher?

I wonder how many people will stop reading at "cosmetically similar."

Yes, piston ARs SHOULD be fine, as long as there is no Colt piston rifle enumerated as an AR15/CAR15/imitation that uses completely interchageable parts.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    The "and" has great weight in that description according to cannons of construction. Is this bulletin binding?

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    I know what that says. I would not have any qualms selling an HK556 tomorrow (if I could afford to have one). They are clearly wrong on a bunch of the firearms in that list.

Now, we get to have some fun with them at least. :cool:

I assume you are leading the charge counselor?

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Looks like a great project for someone! The "AND" is critical to this and should be sufficient to get some of the current "banned" firearms listed changed.

tman

Jan 28, 2013
    'a firearm is considered a copy if it is both cosmetically similar to and has completely interchangeable internal components necessary for the full operation and function of one of the enumerated banned weapons.'

If the lower has incompatible/different size pivot/takedown pin hole, it's legal?

BIGCHRISS197

Jul 4, 2013
    I'm terrible with comprehending law wording. Does this in any way affect HBAR AR15s? Please excuse my ignorance

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    'a firearm is considered a copy if it is both cosmetically similar to and has completely interchangeable internal components necessary for the full operation and function of one of the enumerated banned weapons.'

If the lower has incompatible/different size pivot/takedown pin hole, it's legal?

Hell, any AR with a A5 stock on it would technically be fine. A rifle with a side-charging handle would technically be fine.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    That is-

A- 4 years old

B- moot as there are no longer regulated long guns in MD.

Aren't handguns still regulated firearms?

I am guessing that this is the MSP advisory that came down as a result of the Attorney General's position on .22lr firearms that were cosmetically similar to an AR-15, but with different internals. The Attorney General actually went counter to what MSP was saying in that matter.

The AG's opinion should still be valid. If the firearms are only cosmetically similar, but have different internals, then they are not a "copy" of a banned assault weapon.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    He said regulated long guns. Yes there are regulated firearms. All legal long guns are cash and carry.

hmmmm - might be splitting hairs here, but there might still be regulated long guns, all of which are now classified as assault weapons and banned. You are right though, ALL long guns that are legal to transfer, sell, etc. in Maryland are now cash and carry.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    The memo is dated today. It says they're using the criteria from the referenced advisory. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    The memo is dated today. It says they're using the criteria from the referenced advisory. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Yep, I missed the first link. I had to download the document instead of viewing it on the website. It appears that the MSP has a list of firearms that it considers banned. Anybody take a look at this list yet?

It appears that the MSP is directing people to an FFL or an attorney, and if a person cannot obtain an answer from one or the other, the person may actually submit a form for the MSP to determine if a firearm is banned or not.

Bottom of the page:

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...ngandRegistration/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1oCCLNMq6nRvz_2N9g8FBCBdCFGmy1uvVSauBMvs_peo/viewform

Anybody try submitting one of these yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom