• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cb51

Okay, living in the Peoples Republik Of Maryland, with no CCW on the horizon, who here carries other than a knife for a defensive senerio?

To my way of thinking, a knife is the absolutely last thing I want to use to defend myself for a variety of reasons. A short impact weapon seems more like a good choice, with a cane or walking stick even better.

Any cane/walking stick enthusiasts?

Since it's been almost 40 years since my army pugil stick and bayonet training, I was thinking about up dating my skills. Would kendo or other martial art be good for that? Or one of the Phillipine stick arts?

Is there a place in the D.C area to take lessons?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    kali = filipino martial arts
    hapkido = korean self defense
    krav maga(sp?)
    jujitsu

find some grappling school.. most of the fights now-a-days are ground fighting. finding a good school is another story.. good luck.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Irish Blackthorn walking sticks/clubs are pretty effective, Cold Steel makes a version that's unbreakable. Mercop sells paracord keychains that can turn your keys into a pretty effective impact weapon. And don't underestimate the usefulness of a good can of tear gas, mace, bear or pepper spray. I think having multiple defensive options is a very good thing.

mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    Funny you should talk about OC Spray. I have no confidence in it for the citizenry.

The Problems with Pepper Spray

Like with edged weapons, my research and experience tells me that you much more likely to have peppper spray on you than use it in defense.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Funny you should talk about OC Spray. I have no confidence in it for the citizenry.

The Problems with Pepper Spray

Like with edged weapons, my research and experience tells me that you much more likely to have peppper spray on you than use it in defense.

I still think sprays are better than nothing, they can give you one more option and can be helpful in some circumstances where using a knife or other weapon would not be good. Plus I think it could be useful for dogs and other animals too. Whenever I do carry my Sabre spray can, I always have other things too like knives and your keychain flail.

mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    I agree with your ponts. The problem is that some people think it replaces a gun, just as some think the same about the Taser.

For anyone reading this who carries OC, go to the website of the manufacturer and ask them about cases where it was used.

If you look around the web yourself what you will find is many more cases where it is used as a robbery tool. I worked several of these myself.

Also consider what your would do if you were sprayed as part of a robbery.

cb51

I agree with your ponts. The problem is that some people think it replaces a gun, just as some think the same about the Taser.

For anyone reading this who carries OC, go to the website of the manufacturer and ask them about cases where it was used.

If you look around the web yourself what you will find is many more cases where it is used as a robbery tool. I worked several of these myself.

Also consider what your would do if you were sprayed as part of a robbery.

All good points and why I don't carry pepper spray. If I have to bother going for something not already in my hand, I want something I know works well. I figure my blackthorn stick is already in my hand walking down the street, so if I can't have a gun, then I'll make sure I always have my walking stick.

But I like to layer my defense, so the stick needs some back up. I like to stay with impact weapons if I can, I don't really want HIV infected blood all over me, let alone be cut in a knife fight and have blood from somebody else on me. I carry an AA mini mag with a nite eyz LED conversion to serve as a kuboton. I figure at 8.95 for the light, and 4.95 for the conversion, I can beat the crap out of it, and if need be, stop by Walmart and get another one for little money.

But absolutly last ditch is a knife. I always have a small lockblade on me to fill that role. It's been sharpened up on an old carborundum stone to a very sharp but course edge that rips through cloth and meat well. I hope it never comes down to that.

4MarDiv

Aug 18, 2010
    Fallston
    kali = filipino martial arts
    hapkido = korean self defense
    krav maga(sp?)
    jujitsu

find some grappling school.. most of the fights now-a-days are ground fighting. finding a good school is another story.. good luck.

Krav is the way to go. I've been taking it for a while now and it is useful in many ways. I don't know where you can take it in Calvert but I'm sure if you Google Krav Maga Maryland you will find something that will help you locate something close to you. ... JMO..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom