• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    The title says it all. The Saiga MK-107 will eventually make it to our shores. When it does, who thinks it will be MD legal (assume it does not meet definition of a copycat)? Why or why not? I think/hope that a case could be made that it is legal because the parts are so different from a "normal" AK rifle, that it would not be a "AK–47 in all forms" or "Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle in any format."

image.php

image.php

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    i am unfamiliar with this saiga. is it getting its gas for the piston from the front sight post?

nevermind -

This rifle uses the "balanced recoil system", in which a weight is geared to the bolt carrier group and designed to go forward as the BCG recoils.

balanced_action.gif

i don't think that those pictures are right though. the pics i see for the civi version have a very non-ak like safety...

saiga_mk_107-660x216.jpg

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    1. Folding stock
    2. Bayonet lug
    3. Flash hider
    4. It's a Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle.

Should I go on?

1 - Yes, but you need 2 features to be banned... and I said to assume it is not a "copycat." That's because most copycat features (including folding stock or a flash hider) are easy enough to remove/alter at the point of sale that it really doesn't matter.
    2 - I don't think that's on the list of evil copycat features. It shouldn't matter.
    3 - I believe that's a brake, not a FH... And even if it was, it could be changed or removed in 30 seconds.
    4 - That really doesn't advance the discussion. You're putting the rabbit in the hat. What is a "Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle"? How do you say that it's a Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle when it shares few, if any parts? Why wouldn't the more appropriate analogy be a 9mm AR, or a AR-57? It's still on the same receiver, but all the operating parts are different so it's not regulated?

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    1 - Yes, but you need 2 features to be banned... and I said to assume it is not a "copycat." That's because most copycat features (including folding stock or a flash hider) are easy enough to remove/alter at the point of sale that it really doesn't matter.
    2 - I don't think that's on the list of evil copycat features. It shouldn't matter.
    3 - I believe that's a brake, not a FH... And even if it was, it could be changed in 30 seconds.
    4 - That really doesn't advance the discussion. You're putting the rabbit in the hat. What is a "Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle"? How do you say that it's a Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle when it shares few, if any parts? Why wouldn't the more appropriate analogy be a 9mm AR, or a AR-57? It's still on the same receiver, but all the operating parts are different so it's not regulated?
    Yeah, I'm pissed about this too...

I really wanted to add one of these to my collection down the road. Maybe I will still be able to, but something tells me this will NEVER be "cash and carry."

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Doesn't matter un small arms treaty will most likely keep it out of the us.

It will NEVER be ratified, even Obama signs it. In any case, smart money says that a US version would be built in Vegas... like other Saigas. :innocent0

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    If the parts don't interchange, it's not a copycat. Same logic the AG used to determine that .22 "copies" of military-style rifles were not regulated. While this is obviously an AK-inspired design it's not a direct copy. The tacticool AR hybrid they are talking about importing has even less similarity due to a different FCG.

It remains to be seen how much latitude the MSP/AG will exhibit in banning scary guns not actually banned by SB-281.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    If the parts don't interchange, it's not a copycat. Same logic the AG used to determine that .22 "copies" of military-style rifles were not regulated. While this is obviously an AK-inspired design it's not a direct copy. The tacticool AR hybrid they are talking about importing has even less similarity due to a different FCG.

It remains to be seen how much latitude the MSP/AG will exhibit in banning scary guns not actually banned by SB-281.
    I believe that "tacti-cool" rifle is being dubbed the "AK-12."

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The MK-107 is not an AK. It's based off the AEK-971. Different receiver, and not parts compatible. I don't know how anyone in their right mind could call it a copy of an AK-47, or a copy of an "Avtomat Kalashnikov rifle in any format". It's a much different rifle, despite some external profile similarities. This is kind of like the Vz-58 question, IMHO.

Now, whether it's banned, that's a different question. It clearly meets OAL, so you'd need to avoid having both a folding stock and a flash hider. That's not too difficult. I will absolutely be buying one if they make it to the USA.

You want a hard question, tell me whether the WASR-22 or PAR-1 would be banned. :)

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    "Avtomat Kalashnikov rifle in any format"

Wikipedia said:
    The AK-107 [HT4 NOTE - this is the military version of the MK-107] is a Russian 5.45 mm assault rifle developed from the AK-100-series. It features a "balanced" operating system, similar to that used in the AEK-971. In this case, the designation AK does not indicate Avtomat Kalashnikova but Alexandrov/Kalashnikov. The revised designation indicates the incorporation of a new gas system, designed by Youriy Alexandrov, for Kalashnikov-pattern rifles.

Hmmm... not "Avtomat Kalashnikov" at all.

xdwaiter

Prodigy
    Feb 9, 2013
    hagerstown
    I need a 5.45x39 ak pattern rifle or in this case akish? Rifle either way the should just make a model with a fixed stock and a damage inc brake. But it would be cool if it could take ar mags.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Hmmmm. Different operating system could be the argument to make it not banned. But lord knows what rules the MSP will make up. I was hoping to get a 5.45 AK, but it didn't come through before Monday. Maybe this will fit the bill.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    You want a hard question, tell me whether the WASR-22 or PAR-1 would be banned. :)

dont want to get to far off topic but no, in my opinion they wont be banned. no gas port, barrel is different and the carrier as well. I looked into converting one fwiw

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom