• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    I own three savage rimfires (2x .22lr and 1x 17hmr) with the accu-trigger and wanted to know if the CZ rifles are more accurate out of the box...I'm considering another 17hmr in Savage so that my mags I currently have can be used...but since so many people on this forum like the CZ rimfires, I figured somebody did a comparison.

thanks

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    Absolutely. No contest.

I haven't done a head to head comparison, but have shot both a lot. My gunsmith, who is one skeptical sonuvagun, handed me my CZ after tweaking it for me (unnecessarily) and said "That sucker is accurate!"

The Savage is fun to shoot, I'll admit, but on accuracy there is no comparison, IMHO.

Marginwalker

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 11, 2010
    Maryland
    I would be real curious to see testing to support one or the other. I am alo on the fence for a second 17hmr.

Also considering a sako quad or a annie 1517

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    Absolutely. No contest.

I haven't done a head to head comparison, but have shot both a lot. My gunsmith, who is one skeptical sonuvagun, handed me my CZ after tweaking it for me (unnecessarily) and said "That sucker is accurate!"

The Savage is fun to shoot, I'll admit, but on accuracy there is no comparison, IMHO.

So your gunsmith had to do some tweaks? What were they?
    How is the trigger on the CZ rimfire? Because I really like my accu-trigger. Though one model does have a very slight "play" over my other savage.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Tim Hafer turned me on to the CZ, then Maxicooper helped me decide which model.
    To get an idea of accuracy, go to the CMP webpage and check out the sporter matches.
    The cz is most widely used in rimfire competition, especially since Anschutz is harder to find
    and lots more money.
    One thing to consider that I dug up in my research.The old CZ 452 action which is what I am talking about is being phased out and replaced with the new 455 action which allows changing out barrels to offer .17hmr and .22wmr. While this will probably be a fine shooter, only time will tell so you may want to look for a 452 action while they are still
    around.
    Good Luck

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    okay.
    good to know that CZ rifles are used widely for competition.

What if my rimfire rifles are for varmints, critters, and the like? I could probably just stick with savage with accu-trigger?

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    there are plenty of folks who love their CZs for varmints, hunting, plinking etc. I've not shot a Savage but having compared the 452 FS I just purchased with a Savage AccuTrigger sporting Model 93 w/ Bull Barrel and Mark 1, I found the CZ to be very well balanced, nicely put together, great stock, and for a little more $$, a better value for me.

That's not to say the Savage isn't a good rifle or not accurate, but since the savages were priced in the mid-200s I think i got a much better looking CZ for an acceptable amount more. The fact that they win competitions helped ice my decision, especially since they aren't fragile rifles - good looking, accurate and sturdy...

MaxiCooper fueled my first purchase too -

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    So your gunsmith had to do some tweaks? What were they?
    How is the trigger on the CZ rimfire? Because I really like my accu-trigger. Though one model does have a very slight "play" over my other savage.

he didn't have to do anything. I bought it back when I knew even less than the little I do now, and thought the trigger might be improved. asked him to look at it and he said it was fine. (now that I have more experience with triggers, it is -- breaks like glass at about 4.5lb). I asked him to check operations and accuracy 'cause I'd not seen a CZ before buying my 452 Lux and he did, and told me I was worrying needlessly. He was impressed and I've been very, very pleased.

side note (thread hijack alert...) -- from the factory there was a slight blemish in the stock. Most folks would not have noticed, but I'm OCDC about that kinda thing. I finally decided last winter that I wanted to fix it, but stripping and refinishing got a little more involved than I expected. Decided the rifle deserved better than I had managed so asked CZ for a blank stock. CZ-USA told me they could not provide one. So I wrote CZ HQ in Czech republic and they said possible but it would take a while. After waiting 8 months I wrote CZ HQ again and asked where it was. 5d later CZ USA called and apologized for not having resolved things (fell victim to some staff turnover), said a blank stock would still take a long while, but offered me a free replacement stock, hand picked with guaranteed satisfaction, and a "blemished reject" on which I could practice refinishing. Both arrived 4d later. The "blemished reject" is a beautiful piece of wood with which anybody would be happy. The replacement stock must have been the nicest one in the inventory -- gorgeous tiger striped Carpathian walnut, just about the nicest piece of wood in my safe now.

Moral of the story -- CZ customer service really rocks (in the end). I am one serious fanboy. YMMV

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    From what limited experience I have had with 17hmr, it is an inherently accurate round once the round and cleaning regimen preferred by the rifle is found. There is always a lemon now and then from all makers though. 22lr is whole different story though. You have a better chance of getting an exceptional rifle with CZ than with Savage or Marlin, and just about every CZ is excellent. With Savage and marlin your odds are not as good. 17 hmr to me would come down to price and and personal taste, maybe you like the accutrigger, maybe you hate the cheapo mags of the savage, maybe you like the cz finish and detail, maybe like a little horsey logo, maybe you don't like the plastic on the cz. But as far as killing a ground hog, all will do the job.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Wow, I got my Savage 93 HMR with the accu-trigger tuned down to 2.5 lbs, out of the box so to speak from Dick's, either way, savage or cz, .17HMR is a fun, tack-driving round.

Maxicooper

Sep 16, 2008
    Ellicott City, Md
    Tim Hafer turned me on to the CZ, then Maxicooper helped me decide which model.
    To get an idea of accuracy, go to the CMP webpage and check out the sporter matches.

Join us on 10/2 for the get together, would love to try your nephew's 452. :thumbsup:

You could check out some other models as well. :party29:

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    I have a Savage 93 17hmr and a CZ 452 17hmr and a CZ 453 22 and my nephew has a savage 22.

IMHO CZ with a set trigger or upgraded trigger is very hard to beat and easy on the eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom