• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Truthlesshero81

Sep 30, 2011
    I realize this has been discussed here on MDS, but for my own piece of mind lemme know if I got this right.

So I have a complete lower receiver I purchased pre Oct 1. The paperwork was done for this so it's a registered firearm AFAIK. I'm currently looking at a 10.5" upper. My research seems to indicate I can hit the OAL requirement and be good to go. So,

1). Am I good to go with that upper so long as I hit the OAL?

2). Since it's already registered pre oct 1 there's no additional paperwork to file, since it already technically exists as a firearm?

Thanks in advance.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Like others said if you plan to make it a pistol then OAL requirement is moot since it is only for rifles.

Getting a 16" upper that is HBAR will also clear the 29" OAL requirement easily so that too will be no problem.

So to put it bluntly you do not need to worry about the OAL requirement since it will not be an issue for you.

Truthlesshero81

Sep 30, 2011
    I definitely want a rifle, not a pistol. I'm aware of the sig brace option but with all the confusion surrounding the issue the last thing I need is to get yelled at for shouldering it AGC or worse. AFAIK since I bought the lower pre-oct 1 its registered as a now-banned rifle.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I definitely want a rifle, not a pistol. I'm aware of the sig brace option but with all the confusion surrounding the issue the last thing I need is to get yelled at for shouldering it AGC or worse. AFAIK since I bought the lower pre-oct 1 its registered as a now-banned rifle.

If You want to go short barrel, you can always get a can that is permanently mounted to the barrel. That way you are only paying the tax stamp for the suppressor. It is also easier to move around with a suppressor, in regards to NFA. A buddy of mine did that with his 300BLK rifle. He got a shorty barrel and had a can permanently mounted to the end of the barrel to make it over the 16" minimum. ATF views it as just a suppressor, not an SBR.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    If You want to go short barrel, you can always get a can that is permanently mounted to the barrel. That way you are only paying the tax stamp for the suppressor. It is also easier to move around with a suppressor, in regards to NFA. A buddy of mine did that with his 300BLK rifle. He got a shorty barrel and had a can permanently mounted to the end of the barrel to make it over the 16" minimum. ATF views it as just a suppressor, not an SBR.

See post 4..

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    and put a Sig brace on it.

:innocent0

But don't shoulder it. Lol. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423909098.400662.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    No need to go that long, a pinned 14.5" barreled upper is legal without the stamp.

^^This. And most standard muzzle brakes will meet required minimal length, pinned and welded, of course.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not all "normal" muzzle devices will bring a 14.5 up to 16in , but many will, and there are some made specifically to do so.

Or if you want a shorty look on purpose , or to possably be a cpl oz lighter , there are a plethora of 11.5in bbls with pinned 4.5in flahhiders.

Depending on the origional paperwork , your lower might be a "rifle" , or an "other". Not that it would matter for you if your intention is to build a Rifle.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Not necessarily. MSP won't issue a solid opinion on that. Because if you didn't possess a completed rifle before 10-1, some have postulated putting a now banned upper on it would constitute "making" a banned rifle. Just because you had a lower before 10-1 doesn't mean you possessed the complete rifle before 10-1

Use caution here and consult an attorney IMO.

IANAL.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not necessarily. MSP won't issue a solid opinion on that. But if you didn't possess a completed rifle before 10-1, some have postulated putting a now banned upper on it would constitute "making" a banned rifle. Just because you had a lower before 10-1 doesn't mean you possessed the complete rifle before 10-1

Use caution here and consult an attorney IMO.

IANAL.

^^^ Yes. I've heard this argument go both ways and I would not take a chance on getting it wrong. Just my opinion, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom