• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • racerbob66

Nov 19, 2009
    North East, MD
    I'm definitely interested in the 51 tooth AAC mount version. Shooting my SBR with a Blackout brake is like having a concussion grenade go off in your face.

Last edited:

RW2111

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Industry Partner
    Apr 2, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Well I guess its time to let the cat out of the bag. We have been working on this very thing for the past 3 months. You guys are the first to see this....

View attachment 70263

View attachment 70264

View attachment 70265

The QD Brake Shield comes from a need. I love all the aspects of shooting but running an SBR AR comes with a price, especially when you have a brake on a barrel less than 14.5". The one you see here is for a YHM 5.56 can. We have one for the 51t AAC M42000 but you are right when saying it is a challenge. Our solution for the AAC attachment isnt as elegant as we had hoped for but it works. You will have to wait a week or so to see what we came up with. It is made from 4140 steel and parked. Should last a lifetime! They will be for sale in a couple weeks and you can get them from Weapon Outfitters, they are our distributor. If any industry partners here are interested please contact me and I can put you in touch with WO. After seeing this thread I couldnt hold back any longer. It is awesome to know I am not the one bothered by the concussion, I know the people around me will be happier for sure.

Retail will be well under $100. Finalizing that stuff now.

What do you think?

PM Sent

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Well I guess its time to let the cat out of the bag. We have been working on this very thing for the past 3 months. You guys are the first to see this....

View attachment 70263

View attachment 70264

View attachment 70265

The QD Brake Shield comes from a need. I love all the aspects of shooting but running an SBR AR comes with a price, especially when you have a brake on a barrel less than 14.5". The one you see here is for a YHM 5.56 can. We have one for the 51t AAC M42000 but you are right when saying it is a challenge. Our solution for the AAC attachment isnt as elegant as we had hoped for but it works. You will have to wait a week or so to see what we came up with. It is made from 4140 steel and parked. Should last a lifetime! They will be for sale in a couple weeks and you can get them from Weapon Outfitters, they are our distributor. If any industry partners here are interested please contact me and I can put you in touch with WO. After seeing this thread I couldnt hold back any longer. It is awesome to know I am not the one bothered by the concussion, I know the people around me will be happier for sure.

What do you think?

Looks great! If I could make a suggestion: I would add a half inch to it so it can be used on 5.56 and .30 QD mounts.

geichel

May 4, 2012
    Perry Hall, Md
    I dont have a SBR so I dont really know about the problem ya'll are having but im a mechanic and a tool nut and i have been thinking about making a flash hider from a large deep well socket... this looks a lot like what i had in mind and I would probably get one just because its cool looking !

crfakm4

hotel z71
    Jun 8, 2008
    MD
    Looks great! If I could make a suggestion: I would add a half inch to it so it can be used on 5.56 and .30 QD mounts.

The original prototype was about a 1/2" longer. To save weight we trimmed it back. The blast as it leaves the barrel, populates the first part of the brake and moves forward. With that said the blast will still be directed outwards. Make sense?

ETA: The inside of the shield is conical which forces the blast outwards also.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    The blast as it leaves the barrel, populates the first part of the brake and moves forward. With that said the blast will still be directed outwards. Make sense?

I think so... are you saying that most of the need to redirect gases and concussion is at the base of the unit (at the outlets of the first chamber), so a longer unit would have significantly diminishing returns on a .30 QD mount?

In any case, I will likely only be using it with 5.56 (but will still test it out on my .300 BLK upper: this is the gun it will b e used on http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=94888)

Another question: Are you experiencing any resonance when you use it? The one I put together rings like a freaking cow bell!

Assuming you don't jump the price, please put me on the list for your first run. :thumbsup: I like yours better than mine and am to lazy to make another one.

crfakm4

hotel z71
    Jun 8, 2008
    MD
    I think so... are you saying that most of the need to redirect gases and concussion is at the base of the unit (at the outlets of the first chamber), so a longer unit would have significantly diminishing returns on a .30 QD mount?

In any case, I will likely only be using it with 5.56 (but will still test it out on my .300 BLK upper: this is the gun it will b e used on http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=94888)

Another question: Are you experiencing any resonance when you use it? The one I put together rings like a freaking cow bell!

Assuming you don't jump the price, please put me on the list for your first run. :thumbsup: I like yours better than mine and am to lazy to make another one.

Lol, no jump in price coming anytime soon. I noticed no resonance when testing and I put alot of rds through the test mule.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    What you don't like the 556 tuning forks I have on my 7.5 inch upper.

Watch the video and listen closely.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    What you don't like the 556 tuning forks I have on my 7.5 inch upper.

Watch the video and listen closely.

AAC, right? I never used one, but they look just like the Vortex FH I used to have... that lasted one trip to the range.

StillServing

I know NOTHING !
    Feb 1, 2011
    Calvert County
    I would definately be in for one also. What's the outside diameter? I think my handguard is going to overlap the flash holes in the YHM QD and if this will fit inside the Seekins BAR 1.8" ID (I think) that would be perfect to keep on when the cans not installed.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Got mine... Kudos to WO for the great packing job. :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356626498.060503.jpg

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

View attachment 70263

View attachment 70264

View attachment 70265

What do you think?

Im goung to get several ones for 5.56. You guys gonna make longer ones for 7.62 mounts?

Very Nice!

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    The original prototype was about a 1/2" longer. To save weight we trimmed it back. The blast as it leaves the barrel, populates the first part of the brake and moves forward. With that said the blast will still be directed outwards. Make sense?

ETA: The inside of the shield is conical which forces the blast outwards also.

You guys gonna make longer ones for 7.62 mounts?

I hope so, but I think the answer for now is no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mr88

Latest threads

Top Bottom