• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabagool

Jul 11, 2013
    Harford County
    Hey guys,

I just turned 21 at the end of May, so I am new to buying regulated firearms.

I purchased a handgun July 11th and filled out paperwork on the 16th. Unfortunately, being my first firearm purchase, I didn’t go to an FFL that releases after 8 days. I just went to my dad’s place, so it will be a while before I see that gun.

I want to purchase an AR lower receiver, basically because I feel gypped that our governor has only given me 4 months to legally purchase the guns that I want before 10/1. I don’t have any experience at all building an AR, but it would be nice to have the option later on. I really didn’t have the money for the handgun or the lower, but I’ve decided I will just have to save more to replenish my savings account after 10/1.:innocent0

So my questions are:

Since I am not a designated collector, do I have to wait 30 days from the purchase of my handgun, 30 days from when I filed paperwork, or 30 days from when I receive my gun before I buy another regulated firearm?

If I am able to buy an AR lower before 10/1, what is a good make of lower, a good price to pay , and a good place to buy my lower?

Thanks for any help!

Edit: I guess the second question is actually 3 questions...whoops

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Believe it's 30 days from when the paperwork is sent out. If I'm mistaken I'm sure someone will correct me. :)

As for lower's, most of your bare lower's (and bare upper's) are basically made by a small handful of companies. Everyone has their own preferred brand, but if your not looking to break the bank - Palmetto State Armory has done alright by me. Their lower's aren't top tier, but your not paying top tier pricing as well.

As for price, it can fluctuate from maker to maker, and from shop to shop. But for a stripped lower, figure your going to spend about $150 or so, with transfer fees if you get a good price on a lower.

Not familiar with Eastern Shore, so I can't help on who in your area would be good to go thru.

MattFive

Nov 10, 2012
    Gambrills, MD
    Hehttp://http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/14091/s/blemished-psa-safe-fire-lower-and-classic-lower-parts-kit/?utm_source=PSA+Blem+Lower+%26+LPK+Only+%2499.99%2C+Plus+More+Huge+Savings&utm_campaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=emailahttp://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/14091/s/blemished-psa-safe-fire-lower-and-classic-lower-parts-kit/?utm_source=PSA+Blem+Lower+%26+LPK+Only+%2499.99%2C+Plus+More+Huge+Savings&utm_campaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=emaillmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/14091/s/blemished-psa-safe-fire-lower-and-classic-lower-parts-kit/?utm_source=PSA+Blem+Lower+%26+LPK+Only+%2499.99%2C+Plus+More+Huge+Savings&utm_campaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=email guys,

I just turned 21 at the end of May, so I am new to buying regulated firearms.

I purchased a handgun July 11th and filled out paperwork on the 16th. Unfortunately, being my first firearm purchase, I didn’t go to an FFL that releases after 8 days. I just went to my dad’s place, so it will be a while before I see that gun.

I want to purchase an AR lower receiver, basically because I feel gypped that our governor has only given me 4 months to legally purchase the guns that I want before 10/1. I don’t have any experience at all building an AR, but it would be nice to have the option later on. I really didn’t have the money for the handgun or the lower, but I’ve decided I will just have to save more to replenish my savings account after 10/1.:innocent0

So my questions are:

Since I am not a designated collector, do I have to wait 30 days from the purchase of my handgun, 30 days from when I filed paperwork, or 30 days from when I receive my gun before I buy another regulated firearm?

If I am able to buy an AR lower before 10/1, what is a good make of lower, a good price to pay , and a good place to buy my lower?

Thanks for any help!

Edit: I guess the second question is actually 3 questions...whoops

First, find a FFL who will release after 8 days.

Second, buy one of these:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...tm_campaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=email

You likely won't see that handgun for another 100 days. The 30 day wait is in between transfers. So if you pick up the lower after 8 days, you then have to wait 30days to pick up the handgun. You'll likely have 60+ days to spare.

The PSA lowers are decent and the deal is a great one; you don't have to break the bank until you buy the upper(s). Heck, you can get 2 lowers at the same time and then wait 60 days and your handgun likely still won't be ready.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    The 30 days is from date of possession. You can purchase multiple at one time, but have to wait 30 days minimum between each one you pick up.

So go ahead and buy your lower wherever you want. When you pick up your pistol, make a note of the date then go and get the lower 30 days later.

Gabagool

Jul 11, 2013
    Harford County
    You likely won't see that handgun for another 100 days. The 30 day wait is in between transfers. So if you pick up the lower after 8 days, you then have to wait 30days to pick up the handgun. You'll likely have 60+ days to spare.

Alright, thanks! I didn't know that you could switch up the order like that. I figured since I bought the handgun first, I had to receive it first.

And to clarify where I am located, I go to school in Towson, so I am pretty familiar with everywhere between Baltimore and Delaware and North of Kent County (if that makes sense)

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    If you fill out the MD Designated COllector form, you will get it back by Sept 1 or so.
    That way, you can pick up as many as you want at one time.

MattFive

Nov 10, 2012
    Gambrills, MD
    I don't see a problem with it. If that handgun magically gets Not Disapproved the day after you pick up the lower, you'd just have to wait 29 days to pick it up.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    You need to get the firearm in your dealer's hands and paperwork in, for as many guns many you want, before Oct. 1.

When the paperwork comes back, or when you pickup is not a factor under the new law as long as the paperwork is being processed.

breimer273

Jul 25, 2013
    SOMD
    The law states the two PURCHASES must happen at least 30 days apart. They do make a distinction between purchase and possession. From what I've read on the forums it seems everyone goes with the 30 days for possession. But maryland law clearly states that purchases (not possessions) must be separated by 30 days.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    No longer an issue as he made the smart choice and "built his own."

This is still a huge issue. I have spoken to 3 FFL's about this and they all say 7 days after 77r is foiled. I don't know where the idea of possession equals purchase, buy as many as you like and pick one up every 30 days came from, but it made one of the FFL's shudder.

I am not dying to be a test case, I am not panicked and I am not youngor any of the other things that have been said about me on when I bring this up.

I just want people to not be given advice that will have them breaking the law

I have also seen all the so called proof about this. Give me a break, I asked for proof, none was ever provided any thing but wordy documents that do not agree from one line to the next.

This would not be an issueif the MSP was doing their job and it works out better for us to buy,buy, buy and pick up every 30 days

That said I also applied for my DC to be sure

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    This is still a huge issue. I have spoken to 3 FFL's about this and they all say 7 days after 77r is foiled. I don't know where the idea of possession equals purchase, buy as many as you like and pick one up every 30 days came from, but it made one of the FFL's shudder.

I am not dying to be a test case, I am not panicked and I am not youngor any of the other things that have been said about me on when I bring this up.

I have also seen all the so called proof about this. Give me a break, I asked for proof, none was ever provided any thing but wordy documents that do not agree from one line to the next.

This would not be an issueif the MSP was doing their job and it works out better for us to buy,buy, buy and pick up every 30 days

Are you saying that someone who buys an 80% lower and finishes it himself is not able to buy a regulated firearm later that day?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Absolutely not. I was referring to the advice given that he should buy as many regulated firearms as he wants and then just pick one up every 30 days

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    The 30 days is from date of possession. You can purchase multiple at one time, but have to wait 30 days minimum between each one you pick up.

So go ahead and buy your lower wherever you want. When you pick up your pistol, make a note of the date then go and get the lower 30 days later.

This is the bad advice I meant to quote

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Where this advice comes from is MSP.

Call Ms. Brock, who runs the division that administers the regulated gun paperwork. She will tell you it is 30 days between PICK UPS. It does not matter how ofter you buy.

And since that is the division that will "catch" you, what they say IS THE RULE.

Many FFLs do NOT know what they are talking about. So they are super conservative and say purchase, as in buy, every 30 days. But one simple phone call will get the proper word.

BTW, I personally talked to Ms. Brock and asked this question. And got the answer I stated.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    There is another thread where the OP said he called Ms Brock about picking up 2 regulated firearms in one week. She apparently said that was okay too.

I have to call her tomorrow about a 4/14 purchase. I'm just going to ask her again. My FFL said I can pick my 7/21 4ifle up 7 days after my 4/14 ND for my pistol comes back.

Just trying to do the right thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom