• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I heard that a bow hunter up in new jersey killed another bow hunter thinking he was a deer. They said it was the first time a hunter was killed with a bow in over 100 years. It was on the radio the other day and I can't find anything about it, my google-fu is not that strong. Anybody else hear about this?

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    saw a bear just killed a hiker in NJ only second reported bear killing in NJ , other one was in 1852

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I know I will hear crap about saying this but I hate crossbow hunters. We are going to start to see more and more of these kinds of reports now that more states are allowing crossbow during bow season. Ten bucks says that this is a guy that was always a gun hunter but wanted to extended his hunting season so he got a crossbow a couple years ago. There I said it, I don't like crossbow hunters and never will.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Experianced bow hunter they say?
    WTF, you don't identify your target and kill zone? Was he a blind experienced bow hunter?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I know I will hear crap about saying this but I hate crossbow hunters. We are going to start to see more and more of these kinds of reports now that more states are allowing crossbow during bow season. Ten bucks says that this is a guy that was always a gun hunter but wanted to extended his hunting season so he got a crossbow a couple years ago. There I said it, I don't like crossbow hunters and never will.

Vertical or crossbow, doesn't matter. To counter your argument: crossbows normally have scopes.

No matter how you dare to slice it, it was a blatant violation of the safety rules:
    "Be sure of your target and beyond"

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008

I won't go as far to say I hate crossbow hunters but I basically agree with you.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

IH8 people who H8 crossbow hunters. :)

This guy was a tool that didn't know how to use his tool.

The only difference between a bow and a crossbow is about 150 fps. And they're better because they are scoped and aid in dropping the deer more efficiently.

This is like saying some guy sitting on a ridge with a .308 150 yards away from a deer isn't hunting. It's target shooting.

Just my personal opinion, but hunting should be up close and personal. Where if you make any mistake at all and the deer hears or sees you, Bambi be gone.

RebelYell

Aug 30, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    Vertical or crossbow, doesn't matter. To counter your argument: crossbows normally have scopes.

No matter how you dare to slice it, it was a blatant violation of the safety rules:
    "Be sure of your target and beyond"

^This

A poor shot can be made with a compound bow, crossbow, rifle, shotgun, etc. However, it is inconceivable to me how someone can be within arrow/bolt range of a human and mistake it for a deer. I cannot wrap my head around that.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    IH8 people who H8 crossbow hunters. :)

This guy was a tool that didn't know how to use his tool.

The only difference between a bow and a crossbow is about 150 fps. And they're better because they are scoped and aid in dropping the deer more efficiently.

This is like saying some guy sitting on a ridge with a .308 150 yards away from a deer isn't hunting. It's target shooting.

Just my personal opinion, but hunting should be up close and personal. Where if you make any mistake at all and the deer hears or sees you, Bambi be gone.

Bowie Knife!!! :party29:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    You guys do know there are people/nutjobs out there that shoot other people and then claim it was accidental.

This will be investigated fully just to make sure it was a real mistake.

Like someone else pointed out, hard to mistake a human for a deer at bow distances.

mdunphyjr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2010
    North point / Dundalk
    Been a proud & dedicated Mathew s owner for MANY years, tore my rotator cuff and have to shoot a crossbow now. Perhaps I should have sworn off hunting so others wouldn't have to hate a cross bow hunter????

mdunphyjr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2010
    North point / Dundalk
    I would also mention , my best friend and hunting partners wife works in the surgical dept of shock trauma and I will tell you with confidence there are more people then you realize shot with vertical or compounds. She is very aware of the difference between a bolt and an arrow.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The only plausible explanation I can think of: the idiot was "scoping" the other hunter out of curiousity, and let one fly cause he had his finger on the trigger.

No matter what, three safety violations occurred:
    1) Arrow/muzzle in a safe direction
    2) Keep finger off the trigger until ready to shoot
    3) Be sure of your target and beyond

This is the reason why, rifle scopes should not be used as a monocular. Spend $20 and get one that won't kill anyone when you get curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom