• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    On a side note.. I don't really know how I want to spec out a few SBR's I plan on building. Can I just submit them all as the same (MK18 upper) 10.3", 29.875" OAL, then decide on a different upper at some point in the future?

As long as I always have at least 1 MK18 upper, I am good to go - right?

Im actually wondering about this. Was the lower bought before Oct 1st? If so, as long as you include your proof, OAL doesnt matter. If bought after Oct 1st, via form 1 an HBAR rifle to an SBR, must comply with 29"OAL and etc.

Now here is my question. If you go under the 29" OAL by putting on a shorter upper, even temporarily, are you breaking MD law?

How does MSP enforce this must be 29" OAL or longer rule? Especially since like one said, what is on the form in just the initial configuration.

doofoo

Dec 28, 2009
    Im actually wondering about this. Was the lower bought before Oct 1st? If so, as long as you include your proof, OAL doesnt matter. If bought after Oct 1st, via form 1 an HBAR rifle to an SBR, must comply with 29"OAL and etc.

Now here is my question. If you go under the 29" OAL by putting on a shorter upper, even temporarily, are you breaking MD law?

How does MSP enforce this must be 29" OAL or longer rule? Especially since like one said, what is on the form in just the initial configuration.

All of my lowers are prior to Oct 1st, so no worries there. I just wanted to have at least 1 known configuration that I already have an upper for. I'll just submit them all like that and decide on final configuration later.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I just resubmitted my Form 1 for SBR... Lets see how it goes for the 3rd time.... I put my purchase order and a letter with it, along with the last disapproved document.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Screw Mr. Cook and the 77r BS. When you build your own gun I dont see how im gonna have a 77r for it.

In my case. I am applying for a 300BLK SBR 10.5 Barrel, OAL 29". If/When the stamp comes back ill bring an 80% receiver to be engraved, then ill drill out the rest. That way it never was a banned ALG, it started its life as an SBR. And as long as i pass the copycat test, im not breaking any laws. MSP cant do sh*t about.

Left my card at home, but once i have it hand, consider it submitted.

excuses!
    Was wondering about this.. I have a few lowers completed prior to 10/1/13 that I would like to SBR, but not sure how as there is no PO for them, I made em myself and finished em myself. I can always crank out another 80% or three and submit the form 1 and then engrave and finish, if that works...

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    probably will be added tomorrow during the scheduled down time. We can start submitting by thursday if i had to guess. Too bad, i just mailed one yesterday. REmember to scan in your 77r or mr cook will send it back.

This is good news. Forms all confuse me so I'll have to ask what the 77r is.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I have 3 lowers purchased in 2012 or earlier. The only proof I have is my pink form from MSP that has disappearing ink so what are my options? They will never scan well.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    This is good news. Forms all confuse me so I'll have to ask what the 77r is.

77r is just your Maryland background check paperwork (you have the pink copy).

I have 3 lowers purchased in 2012 or earlier. The only proof I have is my pink form from MSP that has disappearing ink so what are my options? They will never scan well.

I’d just send in your purchase receipt too. Little more circumstantial than a pink but it seems to be working for some.

The application number is pre-typed in large, dark font on part 2 of the 77r. Usually scans well even if everything else is a blurry mess.

If that’s all I had I’d probably contact someone through “Ask the Expert” in eForms. I’d ask if it’d be acceptable to include a cover letter requesting the examiner contact MSP and verify the date of application/transfer, etc using the application number.

No idea if it’d work but that’s what I’d try.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    TBH, until MSP provides BATF something in writing, our SBR Form 1's will not get approved (feeling Im getting). I was just able to talk to Mr. Cook and he was very helpful, but with as confusing as MD is, he wants some clear guidance as to what MSP is expecting so that the ATF doesn't risk putting us in non compliance with SB281.. I can't blame them for wanting something in writing..

ktigerJ

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2013
    Glad I found this. I have one Pre Oct 1 Stripped Lower I've been debating on making into a SBR. If I follow this correctly all I really need is my 77r from the FFL I filled out. I've not gotten any documentation about being "not disapproved" though? I feel like I should have now. Is that going to cause problems if I submit a Form 1?

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Glad I found this. I have one Pre Oct 1 Stripped Lower I've been debating on making into a SBR. If I follow this correctly all I really need is my 77r from the FFL I filled out. I've not gotten any documentation about being "not disapproved" though? I feel like I should have now. Is that going to cause problems if I submit a Form 1?

You wouldn’t receive anything unless you were disapproved.

If you had an on-time release (and an examiner noticed there wasn't an NTN and date written in on your 77r) I suppose it would be up to that examiner to follow up with MSP to confirm a not-disapproval.

In reality there's no established ATF procedure yet. Even providing a 77r isn’t really part of a protocol. More like an informal standard at this point.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    TBH, until MSP provides BATF something in writing, our SBR Form 1's will not get approved (feeling Im getting). I was just able to talk to Mr. Cook and he was very helpful, but with as confusing as MD is, he wants some clear guidance as to what MSP is expecting so that the ATF doesn't risk putting us in non compliance with SB281.. I can't blame them for wanting something in writing..

Can you PM Mr. Cook's direct number?

It was suggested I ask him about my plan first before going through with it. Just to see how they would handle it in this current climate.

A recap for those who dont want to go through a thread:
    -Plan is to apply for an ar-15 SBR off of a non-completed (80%) lower
    -If/When stamp comes back, take it to have it engraved, then once engraved complete to 100%. That way it started its life as an SBR and not a banned ALG
    -As long as it passes the copycat features (29"OAL, etc.) I dont see how it could be illegal or denied.

Why do I think this SHOULD work?
    -my second SBR was on a self made lower (before 10/1) I provided no blueprint, schematic, etc. For the Manufacturer, I was advised to put "FORM 1 REGISTRATION", put the barrel to appropriate length to get to 29"OAL. It was approved in around 2 months (April eFile) amidst all the confusion.

I will look through the denial threads again to see if I see any that were denied even though they were over 29".

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Did anyone notice the email address they provide is not an "address"? I would like to know if I can re-file the paper form I sent in 3 weeks ago?

navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    Its already on there. Already submitted one. :) I did include my receipt and 77r though. Plus a cover letter explaining why i attached them.

ETA: Also just created 5 new ones and saved them as drafts. I was able to submit drafts even during this last outage, so figured why not create some more.

Just got my approval for the one i did the first day it was back. Submitted 24 June, approved 04 August. :party29:

xgaspx

Pennsylvania Ex-Pat
    May 31, 2013
    Maryland
    Same thing happened to me. :thumbsup:

Me too. I assume the approval marked "DRAFT" is not the final, legally-binding approval. Anyone know how long it takes to get the final approval with the numbered stamp on it? This is my first e-file.

navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    You won't get a numbered stamp. However draft shouldn't be present anymore. Hit the ask the experts section at the top tell them the control number and say that draft is still present on an approved form. They will remove that. Then print and that will be your final form.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Me too. I assume the approval marked "DRAFT" is not the final, legally-binding approval. Anyone know how long it takes to get the final approval with the numbered stamp on it? This is my first e-file.
    Mine was not a Draft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom