Best AR 15 Bipod? (and other LR upgrades)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    I am getting (back) into LR shooting. I currently have the following:

Colt HBAR Match II Lower (all factory) w/ A2 Style solid buttstock, Colt HBAR Match Upper (M4 Flat top style w/ detachable carrying handle)(again all factory). White Oak Armory SDM 20" SS 5.56 Barrel with Wylde Chamber, M4 Feed Ramps, A2 Flash Hider, F Style FSP (http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17565&cat=250&page=2)
    I have place the MOE (black) Magpul handguard and have a rail system on the handgaurd allready.

The glass (at least for now) is a Primary Arms 4-16x54 Illuminated MilDot reticle on the base supplied by PA. https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_4_16X44_Illuminated_Mil_Dot_Scope_p/pa416x.htm

And to top it all off, I have the crappy UTG bipod.

So I am looking for the following (in order):

Bipod Upgrade - I am looking at Harris, but there are so many options, swivel, not swivel, this not that, height? etc.....

Trigger Upgrade - Trying to stay no more that 165$, and is legal for CMP and NRA F Class

Glass Upgrade: I don't want to go too expensive but I am willing to discuss options. I like the current scope but I am sure there are better options out there.

Also, with the current glass, I used a supplied PA mount, but I can't find a reference on MOA; Is there a "ideal" MOA "rise" (extended mounts, 10/20/30MOA etc) for the AR?

Lastly, for the act of hunting and LR Shooting (for Comp) I plan on using 75gr BTHP 5.56mm NATO Hornady Superformance Match Ammunition.
    (Ballistics: Muzzle/2920fps; 100yds/+1.3"; 200yds/0.0"; 300yds/-7.3"; 400yds/-21.9"; 500yds/-45.6")

The goal is sub MOA shooting, F Class is 600 yards, and I am looking for a setup I could (in theory) dial up to 800-1,000 yds (I know its reaching, but it can still be done; hell I've shot it iron sights to 600yds)

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    The Harris bipod works fine for me but I use mine for tactical matches so I prefer the swivel feature.

Bill Springfield can rework your factory fire control parts for $40 to $65 depending on what package you want.

Which mount you get depends on your scope. If you have 35 moa of up travel and you need 45 to get where you want to be you need at least a 10 moa mount.

That ammo is only getting 2673 fps in an 18" barrel. I can't imagine getting 2900fps with an additional 2". In my gun that round goes transsonic right around 900 yards. It does very well for me at 600 yards, which is as far as I have shot it.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I have a Harris bipod and it's been great on my HBAR. Remember the pin sizes are different on HBAR Colts than other lowers. There are options for the trigger, but I havent done any yet.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I have a Harris bipod and it's been great on my HBAR. Remember the pin sizes are different on HBAR Colts than other lowers. There are options for the trigger, but I havent done any yet.

I think it depends on how new/old the lower is.

I believe all new Colt's have standard pin sizes.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    I'm pretty set on harris, now its more a which one? Bench re st? Swivel? 6-9"? Etc....that's more the target topic on bipods.

As far as I can tell, the pins are std, the lower was manuf in 2011. Though I don't have a micrometer.

Back to the mounts, I understad the company recomendations, but that doesn't help with how much moa I need...also bear in mind its a std a2 stock, so no cheek riser option

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I think it depends on how new/old the lower is.

I believe all new Colt's have standard pin sizes.

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!! Mine is a 20" HBAR 2 with A3 upper. I got it in 2008 used so I'll look up the serial number and see when it was manufactured. I can find that info right?

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Choose one: http://www.laruetactical.com/bipods

LaRue Tactical makes some awesome stuff. They basically make their own mount, and stick the Harris or other hardware on it, making it lighter weight and more adjustable depending on your needs. Post up some groups once you get it running well!

Also, I see you posted what ammo you want to use. You're going to want to try several brands and see what shoots best out of THAT barrel. I don't care if your buddy or the competitor on the bench next to you is shooting with the same type of barrel, made by the same manufacturer, on the same day - chances are your rifles will shoot the same exact load a little bit differently. Even though we have amazing CNC machines these days, and even chambering by hand - you can never have 2 identical barrels, they're like snowflakes. For the BEST results, you're going to have to load your own ammunition, but picking one load off the shelf for any reason is not likely going to give you the best results

ETA: I'm not an experienced long-range shooter, but basically the differences in the bases that are graded in different MOA are to compensate for matching your line of sight (a straight beam through your sights or scope) to the trajectory (not a straight line, as your bullet is changing speeds, rising then falling to the ground) of your bullets. There are a bunch of fancy calculations you can do to figure out which one you need (ask someone who has more experience, but there are also free on-line ballistic calculators). If you mount your scope directly to your upper, you're only going to be able to adjust your scope up or down so much. Depending on your load, distance you're shooting, etc. you may need to adjust your sight line up a few MOA in able to be able to get your rounds on paper, especially at long distances.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your rifle :)

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I'm pretty set on harris, now its more a which one? Bench re st? Swivel? 6-9"? Etc....that's more the target topic on bipods.

As far as I can tell, the pins are std, the lower was manuf in 2011. Though I don't have a micrometer.

Back to the mounts, I understad the company recomendations, but that doesn't help with how much moa I need...also bear in mind its a std a2 stock, so no cheek riser option

Harris 6-9, swivel with notched legs.

You need to see how much travel you have in your scope. If you are using the one you have, sight it in at 100 yards and count the clicks up you have left. Or pick a new scope you are going to buy. This question can't be answered accurately until you have that information.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Reactivating this dead thread, as I am interested in putting a bipod on my HBAR

Are there any new suggestions?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I am sticking with the Harris Bipods. The Atlas is obviously the best one, but the high price puts it out of reach for a shooter like me who enjoy this as mainly a fun activity.

But if you can afford it, go for the Atlas.

Praeger

Apr 7, 2014
    Howard County
    For the money you won't go wrong with the Harris. Get the "S" swivel version, it's worth the small cost difference. You won't be going nuts try to level the rifle on an uneven surface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom