The Assault Weapon Myth (from the New York Times?!)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robert2888

Nov 5, 2013
    Westmoreland,VA
    This is just another tactic out of the Alinsky play book, reframe the argument. Remember you only need to get one slice at a time. Just make sure to never give it back. That is how they have done this since the beginning.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    More:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...k-tank-admits-assault-weapons-bans-wont-work/

This is from Center for American Progress (a liberal think tank). Looks like a concerted effort to give Dems cover ...

What that CAP "report" indicates is that the FSA 2013/MD Gun Ban will be expanded in the near future to cover "hunting weapons." The HQL process is just greasing the skids for the Firearm Qual License/FQL coming down the track in 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    What that CAP "report" indicates is that the FSA 2013/MD Gun Ban will be expanded in the near future to cover "hunting weapons." The HQL process is just greasing the skids for the Firearm Qual License/FQL coming down the track in 2015.

Expanded to everything except shotguns, HBAR's ('cause they are "target rifles") and .22's - and all ammo except waterfowl loads and shotgun slugs

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD

Tie it up in legislation like 2013 and hope that we're able to elect Hogan so he can veto it at the end.

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    This is just election time theater. Vulnerable democrats need relief but can be easily attacked with the party/liberal message of gun bans. This would let them say they changed their mind about gun and assault weapon bans until after the election.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Nice “Liberals aren’t anti gun” article, and conveniently right before election season. Let’s see how long talk like this last after elections. The best we can hope for is that the Senate goes red in 2014, the POTUS goes red in 2016, and the SCOTUS goes red 6-3 by 2018.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I think the last 5 paragraphs of the article are the best. I have been saying it for a decade. The problem isn't guns, but unemployment and lack of education in specific areas. These kids/young adults need to be given a reason to value their lives. They need education and opportunity. Thing is, it is tough to do in cities that are poor as can be and when the parents can barely get food on the table.

It really is a catch 22, that I have no idea how to solve other than with additional help from surrounding areas. Thing is, that would mean higher taxes and Lord knows I don't want to pay higher taxes.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I just read the article, and I think you are all missing the point on something very important. The writer seems to be laying the groundwork for handgun restrictions.
    The writer still wrote that the failure of the background check bill was due to the Republicans. He seemed to miss the part where Dems in the Senate couldn't garner enough votes even though they are in the majority.

Yep. They are not going to get a nationwide bill passed regarding assault weapons, so now it is time to address handguns. However, I think the bigger point is that made in the last 5 paragraphs. The writer might be trying to address poverty in craphole cities like Baltimore, Detroit, Compton/Watts, etc.

I am willing to bet that the vast majority of gun homicides occur in the poorest areas of the country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom