• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    bores are difficult. To increase depth of field on an image, you increase your aperture (f) number(resulting in a smaller aperture). The downside to this is that less information is now going through the aperture, so you've got to slow down shutter speed and possibly increase your light sensitivity(ISO). Because your shutter may be open for 15 seconds or more, it's important to set up your camera and the bore in a very stationary setup that won't wobble or vibrate from anything.

It's also going to be difficult to properly focus at the correct depth, so you're going to likely have to manually focus till you get a depth you like. If properly set up, you'll be able to take multiple shots, changing depth of focus for each one, and then you'll be able to layer them in a composite image with some software like photoshop to get a more complete image of the bore. Here's some bore-shots of mine so far...
    My AR-15
    View attachment 110676
    My browning BAR
    View attachment 110677
    The M&P45
    View attachment 110678
    Marlin 795
    View attachment 110679
    Walther p99AS
    View attachment 110680
    KelTec PF9
    View attachment 110681

oh, forgot to mention....for lighting, I diffused the light a little by placing a little paper towel on one end of the bore and bounce light off of it. Direct light never really works that well, it creates a hot spot that blanks out the detail in the lower-light areas.

why am i suddenly reminded of a James Bond movie?:innocent0

There are a number of reasons people hide the serial number for a firearm

1) To prevent the possibility of someone (ex-spouse, pissed-off friend, or just some jerk) to call in that serial number as stolen. Which will case all kinds of problems for you when it pops up on a serial number search run by a dealer or police department.

2) To prevent someone from using the serial number for a false insurance claim. Since they more than likely have photos of the firearm also, they have even more evidence of ownership.

3) To prevent someone from using a legitimate serial number on a stolen gun of the same type by restamping the that firearm with the legit serial number.

4) To prevent someone from restamping a serial number that adds value. Case in point restamping a Remington 1903A3 receiver with a serial number for a 1903A4

They are probably more reasons...

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    There are a number of reasons people hide the serial number for a firearm

1) To prevent the possibility of someone (ex-spouse, pissed-off friend, or just some jerk) to call in that serial number as stolen. Which will case all kinds of problems for you when it pops up on a serial number search run by a dealer or police department.

2) To prevent someone from using the serial number for a false insurance claim. Since they more than likely have photos of the firearm also, they have even more evidence of ownership.

3) To prevent someone from using a legitimate serial number on a stolen gun of the same type by restamping the that firearm with the legit serial number.

4) To prevent someone from restamping a serial number that adds value. Case in point restamping a Remington 1903A3 receiver with a serial number for a 1903A4

They are probably more reasons...

Don't forget about government employees scouring all these forums and making a database of all of our firearms based on the pics we post. :innocent0

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    I didn't see this covered but... when I shoot on white, I try to raise my subject from the actual paper/muslin I'm shooting on. It's no different than when shooting people. You wouldn't let your subject sit against a wall, why would you let your gun sit directly on top of your backdrop either? Unless your backdrop is interesting and can hide weird shadows created by your lighting.

This is just my take on it and how I do it. Do it how you think works best because it might spark someone else to try something different :)

The lower below is actually sitting atop three pieces of brass so the shallow depth of field can give way to some background separation. Kind of highlighting the subject in question.
    9616863355_0f8e7254a1_c.jpg

Here I laid the pistol on top of bullets on top of a black background. You can see how there isn't the same level of background separation.
    8162619950_12556a27a1_c.jpg

If your lighting is directional and you're shooting on white, you'll get a shadow if your subject is ON the paper. But unless you're shooting product photography where it's going to be cutout and put on a white background, you might or might not want the shadow.
    5527768455_5049a0b3f1_b.jpg

Sometimes you want simple and black so you use harder lighting...
    8469711940_d265f7e08f_c.jpg

8639495666_d19d2503e2_c.jpg

It's best to shoot with a vision of the end product in mind. Hope that helps!

Nkray

Dec 5, 2011
    Wow, those photos are amazing! It really makes me want to get out and shoot more! Both guns and camera :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2014
    Montgomery County
    bores are difficult. To increase depth of field on an image, you increase your aperture (f) number(resulting in a smaller aperture). The downside to this is that less information is now going through the aperture, so you've got to slow down shutter speed and possibly increase your light sensitivity(ISO). Because your shutter may be open for 15 seconds or more, it's important to set up your camera and the bore in a very stationary setup that won't wobble or vibrate from anything.

It's also going to be difficult to properly focus at the correct depth, so you're going to likely have to manually focus till you get a depth you like. If properly set up, you'll be able to take multiple shots, changing depth of focus for each one, and then you'll be able to layer them in a composite image with some software like photoshop to get a more complete image of the bore. Here's some bore-shots of mine so far...
    My AR-15
    View attachment 110676
    My browning BAR
    View attachment 110677
    The M&P45
    View attachment 110678
    Marlin 795
    View attachment 110679
    Walther p99AS
    View attachment 110680
    KelTec PF9
    View attachment 110681

oh, forgot to mention....for lighting, I diffused the light a little by placing a little paper towel on one end of the bore and bounce light off of it. Direct light never really works that well, it creates a hot spot that blanks out the detail in the lower-light areas.
    Thank you for the great tips on the bore shots! I'm going to give this a try :)

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    For those talking about their "cheapish" or "older" cameras and worrying they're substandard:

I learned on a Nikon D40 with kit lenses. I've taken some pictures I'm damned proud of, largely/entirely because composition usually trumps camera specs. The D40 is basically the FIRST consumer level DSLR. I maintain that I can shoot just about anything with that set up. What you start getting with "better" lenses and bodies is the ability to access settings faster so you don't miss shots. Newer algorithms for focusing and yes...more megapixels. But megapixels don't matter for as much as you may think.

I also have a D90 which is a last generation "prosumer" level camera with switches and buttons for most settings and adjustments and I'd be very confident shooting a wedding or anything that important with it.

For anyone getting into DSLR photography I'd recommend buying used as your money will go MUCH farther than buying new. For $1000 you can get a D90 body, 18-200 lens, 50mm prime and a SB800 flash as well as all the little stuff that you'll invariably need. With that set up and PRACTICE you can shoot anything. The same money would buy you a D5200 with kit lens and you'll cuss and swear as you fumble through menus looking for ISO and metering options instead of pushing a button and spinning a wheel and getting where you need to be.

OP I like the pics. I really like the DoF on the bolt handle one. I think the quickie down bore shot you posted is blown up too big/cropped too much. This is an example of where more megapixels is better. But how often are you really going to be asked to take a half inch center out of a picture and blow it up to 10 inches wide? At that point it's more about zooming in so that half inch is already a majority of the frame, which then requires higher end/specialized lenses.

Reading what others have done, how they've done it and practicing is infinitely more important than having the newest D4 and 70-200vrii lens. I like kenrockwell.com and have learned a lot of stuff from him. I'm Nikon over Canon ONLY because it's what I learned on...I have a feeling that's how a lot of people pick one over the other...their friend who is into photography showed them on a ____ so they got a ____.

Keep tinkering man but yeah, get out of the basement and get some life into those pictures!

Apr 28, 2014
    Montgomery County
    here's one I made after posting in this thread today....again of the m&p45.
    View attachment 110707

I set the camera to f8(highest mine goes to), ISO 100, shutter 3.5 seconds and laid the gun down on it's side on some books to elevate it to the centerline of the camera lens. I moves the camera till I had a relatively straight shot down the bore, and shined a flashlight on to the breech through the ejection-port side. Light from the witness hole at the top created a noticeable hot line down the centerline of the breech that washed away some detail.

I changed over to manual focus and took two shots, one from 2"(the closest focus setting, which put the focal plane just inside the bore) and one where the breech was in focus. The struggle was to remain still with the light on the gun and to not move the camera for the whole 3.5 seconds the shutter was open. Some techniques with breathing I learned in shooting guns transferred nicely. I still got some motion blur on the breech shot.

Here are the two shots as taken...
    View attachment 110708
    View attachment 110709

I opened up both pictures in photoshop, and dragged one over on top of the other. I changed the opacity of the breech image and moved it until it perfectly overlaid the rifling image. The primer hole made that pretty easy. Next, I rotated both images 90 degrees left and cropped the image down to a square frame around the muzzle. From there I created a layer mask on the breech image and masked over the out of focus rifling, leaving the more focused breech to cover the out of focus breech of the rifling image.

The image had some blue and cyan color-casting, so I went into the adjust color tab and shaded the blue and cyan tones -41. Next I adjusted the levels to remove some extra highlights and bring out more detail. Since the breech was still slightly motion-blurred, I sharpened that image a bit. There were also some small dust particles in the bore that annoyed me, so I did some spot-healing and clone stamping to remove them. Here's what that part looked like...

View attachment 110710

I saved the photoshop version so I could make changes later(like adding borders and such) and also flattened it to a jpeg to post here.

here's an example of an untouched rifle bore image. ...
    View attachment 110711

Excellent shots! What type of lens did you use?
    Thanks for the detailed tips

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    I have similar lighting problems photographing silver coins, direct lighting creates horrible hot spots and massive overexposures. I'm just beginning to experiment with indirect lighting and using mirrors to get the focus correct over various distances. Photograph the reflection in the mirror to get full focus at varied distances......Hitchcock used that little trick with moving subjects or cameras on many occassions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom