• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I've been eyeing a M1 Garand from CMP, and I have a couple questions:

Background: am not a collector. I have no plans currently to purchase this or any other firearm for its period correctness, or potential for increase in value. I'm looking for a semi auto rifle that will mount a modern scope and allow me to do long distance target shooting and hunting. I am also willing to consider modern firearms. what I really want is an M1A, but MD has deemed that a no go.

The questions:

1. If I select the 'Special" grade in 308, do I still use the standard en bloc clip or is a custom clip required?

2. Is there any real functional difference between field grade and service grade? From the CMP description it sounds like the primary difference is in the condition of the wood stock.

3. From my understanding, if I am purchasing online as a MD resident, I simply need to include a photocopy of my MD drivers license with the order. Am I missing anything?

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    I'm looking for a semi auto rifle that will mount a modern scope and allow me to do long distance target shooting and hunting.

I think you will find mounting a scope on a Garand difficult at best. For around the price of a 'Special" grade in 308 you could find a 308 AR.

If you really want the action/look of the Garand you could always get a mag fed conversion done. It will cost a little more and it will still be difficult to scope, just easier than scoping an enbloc clip feed rifle.

http://shuffsparkerizing.com/services/mag-fed-garand/

You should still get a Garand just to have one.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    service grade will have better ME/TE numbers than a field grade.

If you want an accurate shooter go ahead and get one w/ a new criterion barrel. Less collectibility but thats not what you're after.

For a scope consider a M1D. As I understand its a lot easier to get a mount for one of these since they were designed for it. An M1C would work too but they cost a lot more than the D.

A dpms pattern AR10 will cost less and be more accurate in the long run.

Though if you want the look of an M1A maybe consider an argentine FN49 in 7.62x51? They can be scoped (has a side dovetail IIRC) and mine gets mistaken for a M1A just about every time I've had it at the range.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Model_1949

dendog

Mar 5, 2011
    Howard County
    Fulton Armory in Savage Maryland does a great job of turning those M1's into match grade shooters. I had one done back in 2001. Scope mounting the M1's is not the greatest.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    To purchase from the CMP you have to belong to a affiliated club and have marksmanship proof. For me it was my Maryland hunter education course I took years ago and I joined the M1 Collectors club. For info on the club go here www.m1collectorsclub.com and check it out. The CMP special runs over $1,000 and that could get you a AR10 if you look. Some vendors have had the Smith & Wesson AR10 new for $999.99 lately. You could probally find a good used semi-auto riffle for a good price in AR10 or something else like a Browning BAR http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/finder.asp?f1=002B
    I got a Remington 742 Woodsmaster in 308 that works good but only holds 4 rounds in the mag/clip that I use for hunting.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    There is some overlap between field grade and service grade. In general, field grades will have more wear and tear on parts, and will have higher muzzle wear and throat erosion, which affects accuracy. Field grades will almost always have GI wood, which may be worn and loosely fitting to the action, which will affect accuracy. Service grades will have better fitting stocks, and in some cases, will have new manufacture replacement stocks.

Clips are the same whether .308 or 30-06.

The driver's license is only needed to show your notary when he/she notarizes your certification form (page 2 of the ordering form). You will need to provide a proof of citizenship document with your first order (subsequent orders don't require resending these). Passports or birth certificates work for proof of citizenship and age.

Scope mounting is problematic on a Garand because of the top-loading magazine design. But scout scope mounts work well as long as you use a long eye relief scope. The Leupold FX-II Scout IER works pretty well on an Ultimak Garand scope mount with quick-release mid height rings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom