• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    For my latest compact AR build I wanted a compact optic and had been looking at Aimpoint, but the Pro is larger than I wanted and the T1 was just too freaking expensive. I put hands on the ACOG minis too, but couldn't justify the expense. I had recently being hearing buzz on the interwebz about Holosun Optics. Starting with erwos's thread here on the HS403C. After looking at the different models I bought the HS403A.

Specs from their site (no I don't think english is their first langauge):
    OPTICAL DATA

Light source LED (Light Emitting Diode) totally eye-safe wavelength: 650 nm red light
    Red Dot Size 2 MOA -- 1 minute of angle = 30mm at 100 meters / 1.04 inch at 100 yards
    Parallax Parallax free: No centering required, aiming with red dot anywhere inside window.
    Eye Relief Unlimited
    Night Vision 3 brightness setting for night version, Setting 1, 2, 3 is for night vision, From setting 4 to 9 are day time setting from dim to bright.
    Coating Multi-layer coating for all lens.
    magnification 1X

ELECTRONIC DATA

Battery CR2032
    Battery Life 50,000 hours. Base on setting 6. current is 5uA(micro Ampere). the battery capacity is 250mAHour. 250mAHoursX1000/5uA=50,000 hours
    Auto Shutoff 8 Hours. After sight turn on 8 hours, it will automatically shutoff.
    Setting 12 brightness setting include 3 night vision setting from 1 2 3. all setting current reading(from 12 to 1) 179uA 36uA 22uA 13.1uA 8.8uA 5.91uA 4.92uA 4.53uA 4.25uA 4.13uA 4.06uA 4.02uA

MECHANICAL DATA

Housing Material Aluminum
    Housing Finish PEO/MAO housing finish: Plasma electrolytic oxidation (PEO), also known as microarc oxidation (MAO), is an electrochemical surface treatment process for generating oxide coatings on metals. It is similar to anodizing, but it employs higher potentials, so that discharges[1] occur and the resulting plasma modifies the structure of the oxide layer. This process can be used to grow thick (tens or hundreds of micrometers), largely crystalline, oxide coatings on metals such as aluminium, magnesium and titanium. Because they can present high hardness[2] and a continuous barrier, these coatings can offer protection against wear, corrosion or heat as well as electrical insulation.
    Housing Color Black

ENVIROMENTAL DATA

Storage Temperature -40C to 70C
    Working Temperature -10C to 50C
    Radioactive None.
    DIMENSIONS
    Dimension 133X54X72mm
    Weight 120g

Here it is on the rifle:

It is very low profile and hardly obstructs field of view:

Here is the dot in focus, it is surprisingly crisp and the glass is clear for the price point:

The optic is very solid feeling and comes with a low mount and a lower 1/3 AR mount. The largest problem with it is the fact you need to remove the optic to replace the battery and the mount does not ensure a return to zero. Though with a 50,000 hour life and the 8 hour shutoff feature, the battery should last 10+ years. The auto-shutoff/motion activation works wonderfully. If the rifle is laying on the floor and you pick it up, it will not turn on. But anything more will activate it (actively shouldering it, seating a mag, charging the firearm, two fingered 'tap' of the magwell, etc).

I have had it to the range multiple times and it functions perfectly with positive adjustment clicks and holding zero.

As I am currently living in a house without kids I am keeping the rifle with me at all times as an ongoing test. It follows me from floor to floor and I toss it in the corner or on the couch or onto the safe as I go about my life. After almost two months the sight is still going strong.

As a sub $200 red dot sight, I think this is hard to beat. At this point I would highly recommend it to anyone, but will update this review as needed.

Noroar1

Jul 20, 2013
    Nice write up, I was looking to get one myself, had good luck with primary arms red dot in the past

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The new PA micro is an up-spec'd Holosun 403D (battery compartment on the outside, but takes Aimpoint Micro mounts and no auto-off). IMHO, it's going to be a serious Aimpoint Micro competitor once more people get experience with them... I think the debacle with the T-1 and T-2 pricing is the last straw for some folks.

I have a 403C, which is the solar-powered version. It's pretty damn awesome, but had the image distortion issue that plagued the first few shipments of sights. They're supposedly getting another batch in that doesn't have it.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    The new PA micro is an up-spec'd Holosun 403D (battery compartment on the outside, but takes Aimpoint Micro mounts and no auto-off). IMHO, it's going to be a serious Aimpoint Micro competitor once more people get experience with them... I think the debacle with the T-1 and T-2 pricing is the last straw for some folks.

I have a 403C, which is the solar-powered version. It's pretty damn awesome, but had the image distortion issue that plagued the first few shipments of sights. They're supposedly getting another batch in that doesn't have it.

One of my complaints was that it didn't fit on the Aimpoint mounts... might have to get a second one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom