• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Looks to be CMP but I'm not sure what grade, I would suspect a very nice Service Grade as the receiver looks to be reparked. The Springfield stamp is not crisp like one that has not been.No big deal, the vast majority of Garands have been reparked. Picture is the heel of my 5.8 Correct, you can see the difference.

Whatever grade it is you traded for a very nice rifle, I think you did well. You can get a letter from CMP that will give you the details if they originally sold it, I think it is 25 bucks, If their research comes up with nothing you still pay the fee.

Attachments

• IMG_1356.jpg
      IMG_1356.jpg
      52.5 KB · Views: 418

MRA

Dec 10, 2010
    Damascus
    CMP had been selling H & R's with new CMP stocks that look like this. I heard that recently they are shipping Springfield's in similar shape as the H & R's. My recommendation is to take it out and shoot it. Have fun.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I don't know how much you paid but it looks like a nice M1 in new wood. Barrel and receiver dates match up. Receiver dates to 1955. Looks like original park. Is the chamber in the white or parked?

Looks parked. But here is a picture...

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      37.8 KB · Views: 265

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    Looks like a USGI CMP shooter. Arsenal refinished, parts replaced as necessary. A good value because this rifle hugely historic and will never be made again. That said, take it out and shoot it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Damn, I just realized your rifle has a WWII trigger guard. Not a Service Grade Special, then, but a really nice Service Grade.

100_2146.jpg

The milled trigger guard on top was replaced by the stamped version in the middle in 1944.

The bottom version is post war.

My Special has the WWII trigger guard

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    My Special has the WWII trigger guard

The Special is a complete rebuild with mixed parts, a Criterion barrel, and a new walnut stock.

The Service Grade Special was a late-production rifle with unmixed parts, a USGI barrel, and no stock at all when the CMP found them in the crates. Being such nice rifles, the CMP put them in new stocks and sold them at a premium.

The OP's rifle appears to be a very nice Service Grade, apparently reparked by somebody somewhen, and given a new stock by the CMP. It looks like a better-than-average Service Grade. All Service Grades should have mixed parts. This gives them Mongrel Vigor: a Good Thing.

Thread about the unfortunate practice of "correcting" Garands:
    http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=178807&page=2

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Don't know what you traded for it but that looks like a very nice rifle. Go out and shoot it and you'll never want to touch a Mosin again.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The CMP has good prices on Garand ammo but there is a ten can per year limit. If you order ten cans/cases before December 31st then you can order another ten in January or any time next year. The Greek HXP ammo, either in spam cans with or without clips or the loose ammo, shoots well and has good brass for reloading.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Pull it out of the wood and see if there are any markings in pencil or chalk on the receiver legs, with that nice park job it might be an unused 60's rebuild that ended up in a CMP stock.
    Looks to be a pretty nice rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Imetthevarmit

Latest threads

Top Bottom