• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I put a stamp on mine and dropped it in the box. If it gets lost, mail another one. Most banks will notarize for free anyway. no money involved.

or did you omit your sarcasm icon?

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    I put a stamp on mine and dropped it in the box. If it gets lost, mail another one. Most banks will notarize for free anyway. no money involved.

or did you omit your sarcasm icon?

I generally omit the sarcasm icon, but this was a serious question. Last year there were people recommending sending registered w/ return receipt due to the sheer volume, but I see that isn't the case now.

Got mine notarized at the LGS. I call that service!

Rob Jones

Jul 19, 2013
    White Plains, MD
    I filled out and had notarized 2 each for me and my wife. We mailed on and held the other in case it got lost. Now we each have one notarized copy of our application along with our approval letters.

It is easier to have them notarize at least 2 in case one gets lost for any reason you have a back-up.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Nope. there is a box on the 77r that gets checked if you are a DC. MSP will check when they get the paperwork,

But keep the original where you can find it.

Last year when 7-day "early" release was just starting, some IP's would not release early without the original - so it was useful in keeping it handy.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Yep. I keep a copy in my car with my other "I'm innocent" paperwork for possible use if need be. Keep a copy of FOPA and a few others too.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Yep. I keep a copy in my car with my other "I'm innocent" paperwork for possible use if need be. Keep a copy of FOPA and a few others too.

This. Since the DC status allows more than just purchases more frequently than every 30 days, I carry a copy of the letter in my truck, as well as range bag, in case I'm in someone else's vehicle.

And fwiw, when I sent mine in, I did send it registered/return receipt. I figured if they had to sign for it, they might pay a little more attention to it. I don't recall the turn around time, but it was days as opposed to weeks.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It might assist you in establishing an affirmative defense of a violation of 4-203 by helping you prove your claim of being a "bona fide" collector if stopped while moving part or all of your "collection". That and an FFL 03 would be very helpful too.

4-203

5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector's gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It might assist you in establishing an affirmative defense of a violation of 4-203 by helping you prove your claim of being a "bona fide" collector if stopped while moving part or all of your "collection". That and an FFL 03 would be very helpful too.

4-203

Never been shown to do so.

And a DC with one pistol is a bona fide collector?

How about a non-DC with 20 various flavors of Garands?

Designated does not equal bona fide.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Never been shown to do so.

And a DC with one pistol is a bona fide collector?

How about a non-DC with 20 various flavors of Garands?

Designated does not equal bona fide.

I never said it was. Read my posts. So because it's not been shown to help in a possible future legal issue it's reason not to? What would it hurt? Your argument doesn't really help solve or prevent a potential future problem. Why not avail yourself of any and all tools to keep your self out of court? Spare tires aren't used by most people. Still most have one.

I got a DC letter with one pistol purchase. Now I have lots more. If you don't feel it might be helpful, I don't care. I said it might help you out in a legal entanglement. No guarantees. I didn't ever say it equaled bona fide did I?

I said:

It might assist you in establishing an affirmative defense of a violation of 4-203 by helping you prove your claim of being a "bona fide" collector if stopped while moving part or all of your "collection".

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    BTW, this did not start with your post, but someone elses.

Also, none of my cars have a spare tire. :)

HauptsAriba

Feb 16, 2014
    Anne Arundel
    Bona fide?

With all of the scuttlebutt in this post about what makes you bona fide or not, had anyone called MSP or the AG's office for a clarification on the matter? I would be of the opinion that since it is MD law that makes the quote/statute, and MD law has a designation for designated collector, that it would go without question that obtaining this status would most certainly comply or jive with the statutes revolving around ( designated collector) I would not rely on having a C and R and said designation, as this is a Federal designation, and it is a State law being examined. State law, State designation as collector. Seems to be consistent. Having a C and R in addition to the State designation would only add to ones claim of being bona fide, but I would not rely on the C and R alone.

We should get written clarification from MSP and Dougie, as he is more co operative than MR. Frosh is going to be.:sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom