• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Got the email today! Submitted two electronic Form 1's on 24SEP to create a 9mm SBR and chop my PS90 and they were approved today. Of course, it's so fast, I'm not ready for the expense and obviously don't have the materials yet.

BTW, if anyone can direct me to 9mm upper parts (in stock) for a CMMG lower, I'd appreciate it.

Now if my snail mail Form 4 for my .22 can would hurry up...

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Welcome to the club!

Not sure about anyone with local parts instock. But you can usually find a ramped 9mm bolt and a 9mm hammer on Gunbroker. The best mag block that I've found is the VM Hytech mag block that uses standard Uzi mags. They don't make them anymore so you have to find one used on GB, AR15.com, etc.

The PS90 should be fun as an SBR. And if you want to really burn through some of that 5.7 ammo, I have a full auto bolt coming for my AR57. :)

PresentArms

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2008
    Middle River
    Got the email today! Submitted two electronic Form 1's on 24SEP to create a 9mm SBR and chop my PS90 and they were approved today. Of course, it's so fast, I'm not ready for the expense and obviously don't have the materials yet.

BTW, if anyone can direct me to 9mm upper parts (in stock) for a CMMG lower, I'd appreciate it.

Now if my snail mail Form 4 for my .22 can would hurry up...

How long did it take to get to go head from the time you submitted the forms?

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    For the 9mm upper go with a CMMG ramped bolt. You won't need a 9mm hammer since the bolt is ramped to use a standard hammer. For the mag block I prefer Hahn Precision. They have two models which allow for last round bolt hold open using colt style mags. For mags I prefer Metalform. To put it simply, no other colt style mag comes close to them.

CMMG Bolt
    http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_66&products_id=427

Hahn Precision
    http://shop.hahn-precision.com/AR-15_c11.htm

Metalform mags
    http://www.brownells.com/magazines/...15-m16-9mm-colt-style-magazine-prod38850.aspx

Hahn Precision Bottom Loading Mag Block (what I use)
    http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...kits/ar-15-9mm-conversion-block-prod1548.aspx

Hahn Precision Dedicated Mag Block
    http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...dedicated-9mm-conversion-block-prod24937.aspx

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Thanks for the links Flipz. I had my own brain fart despite proofing my post. The CMMG lower is a dedicated 9mm lower and it's complete. My bad. All I need is, I assume, an upper, a barrel, a 9mm bolt (not ramped) and a hand guard.

FrankOceanXray: I haven't decided who's going to do it except not me!! I'm not screwing it up. I asked an IP about it but they deferred to places like Tornado Tech. I'll either use TROS USA or TT. TROS seems good and they replied promptly to my questions but I don't know much about them. TT is expensive for their complete service with engraving but of course they have a great reputation.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have a 3 lug 5" TROS barrel on my 9mm AR (still waiting for Form 1 :mad54:). It is a very nice barrel, you won't be disappointed.

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    Here's my greedy question. Where are you having engraving done? I've had a hell of a time finding someone to do an AR lower for me. Should be getting the stamp sometime next week.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    TROS does excellent work. :thumbsup: I've bought about 8 thread adapters from them and they are top quality. In addition Mark has done some custom threading for me that TT said could not be done. Don't get me wrong, TT is good also, I have them threading a barrel right now. But TROS is always my first choice.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Thanks for the links Flipz. I had my own brain fart despite proofing my post. The CMMG lower is a dedicated 9mm lower and it's complete. My bad. All I need is, I assume, an upper, a barrel, a 9mm bolt (not ramped) and a hand guard.

Get the CMMG bolt I listed above. Its made to work with your lower. Any stripped upper will do, it doesn't need to be marked "9mm" or have the shortened ejection port. For the barrel I'd go with an Adco, YHM, or TROS. If you go with a 5" barrel go with a pistol length handguard/forend. And don't forget a flashider. Make sure it's for 9mm and has a matching thread pitch to the barrel you choose.

This is my YHM 5.5" factory 9mm SBR.
    IMAG0314.jpg

BTW, I live pretty close to you if you need any help putting things together. I've built many AR's, including 9mm's, and have all the proper tools.

rcpd34

Peoples Republic Maryland
    Jan 29, 2009
    MD
    Here's my greedy question. Where are you having engraving done? I've had a hell of a time finding someone to do an AR lower for me. Should be getting the stamp sometime next week.

Are you near Rockville?

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I had my engraving done by Ident Marking Services. I had it done inside the trigger guard. Ident and Orion are the only ones I know of that offer engraving in that location. It looks incredible. Very clean, straight, and inconspicuous. Only downside is they aren't local. But turnaround time was about 10 days which isn't bad at all.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Congrats on the stamps!

Now you just need a safe to store everything in.....:innocent0

No kidding. I feel bad with you holding those. This damn contractor is killing me. Know anyone who can finish up a basement bathroom and a little other basement stuff for a good price?

I have an idea to run by you though. I'll send you a PM when I get back to the iron curtain (loving my two weeks in free Murica - Texas).

TROS does excellent work. :thumbsup: I've bought about 8 thread adapters from them and they are top quality. In addition Mark has done some custom threading for me that TT said could not be done. Don't get me wrong, TT is good also, I have them threading a barrel right now. But TROS is always my first choice.

I have a 3 lug 5" TROS barrel on my 9mm AR (still waiting for Form 1 :mad54:). It is a very nice barrel, you won't be disappointed.

TROS it is for chopping the PS90 and getting the 5" barrel.

Get the CMMG bolt I listed above. Its made to work with your lower. Any stripped upper will do, it doesn't need to be marked "9mm" or have the shortened ejection port. For the barrel I'd go with an Adco, YHM, or TROS. If you go with a 5" barrel go with a pistol length handguard/forend. And don't forget a flashider. Make sure it's for 9mm and has a matching thread pitch to the barrel you choose.

This is my YHM 5.5" factory 9mm SBR.
    IMAG0314.jpg

BTW, I live pretty close to you if you need any help putting things together. I've built many AR's, including 9mm's, and have all the proper tools.

Thanks Flipz. I appreciate the offer of help. I will take you up on that. I'm a visual learner. Teratos and I come from the school of see one, do one, teach one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom