• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I would use an MD attorney. TO make sure that the trust complies with all the requirements of THIS state.

Leper Messiah

Aug 18, 2014
    I was talking to a guy at the range the other day who used nolo.com for his trust. He said he has purchased four suppressors through it with no problems. The only reason i want to create one online is cost, the suppressor is gonna set me back enough itself.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Ok, now you all have me thinking about a trust and I'm too lazy to search and go through a lot of posts. I have one question:

Besides buying suppressors and MG, can the trust include your regular collection so that when you pass it makes it easier on your family to inheirent your whole collection without doing paperwork on each firearm?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Curious, because I want one as well, but being that I am in the service, I am going to need something that works in most states.

Far as I know, trusts are state specific. When you move to another state, you have to create a new trust. Is that correct?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    AFAIK that is correct. However your "new" trust can reference the old one and just change the provisions that need changing for the new state.

All advice I have seen says to NOT put non-NFA items into your trust. Make them subject to confiscation over NFA issues.

And inheritance of other firearms (even banned ones in MD) is not difficult.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    I was talking to a guy at the range the other day who used nolo.com for his trust. He said he has purchased four suppressors through it with no problems. The only reason i want to create one online is cost, the suppressor is gonna set me back enough itself.

According to NOLO this is not recommended.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/can-i-nolo-living-trust-gun-trust.html

I have been thinking about getting a trust myself and already looked at the online option.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia

Most apps are approved if the trust superficially meets ATF's requirements. That doesn't mean ATF verified your trust was correctly written to protect you down the road.

If a future legal situation crops up, it'd usually be after-the-fact that a prosecutor or civil attorney would look for flaws to challenge or invalidate it.

Just something to think about.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Besides buying suppressors and MG, can the trust include your regular collection so that when you pass it makes it easier on your family to inheirent your whole collection without doing paperwork on each firearm?

Generally, yes. You simply add each individual to the trust as co-trustees, which gives them the right to possess any of the firearms owned by the trust. Then, when you pass away, any of the co-trustees can take possession of any or all of the firearms. But, as is always the case with legalese, it's best to ask a lawyer.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    The argument against adding non-NFA items to a trust is that you are putting all your eggs in one basket... if anything on the trust got challenged, the trust's entire property is at stake.

Right now inheritence laws, even in this crappy state, still allow for fairly easy transfer of ownership of non-NFA firearms. If MD passes new laws and you don't plan to move, then it might be time to put banned but otherwise non-NFA items into the trust.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Ok, now you all have me thinking about a trust and I'm too lazy to search and go through a lot of posts. I have one question:

It's hard thinking about your own death. When I turned 60, I realized there was no possibility I was immortal. At the big 5-0 I could remember snippits of lying in my crib and going to see the doc before my tonsillectomy at age 2. I figured I could remember 48 years in the past and had a chance of having 48 future years. At 60, I could still remember 58 years ago, but there is almost no chance I will have another 58 years of life. So it goes.

Don't be so lazy, it is worth your while to look up Rusty Shackelford and his posts on gun trusts. I am not a lawyer and I am not sure all lawyers agree with him, but it is a start.

There is a lot of misinformation, including right in this forum, that the state will seize you guns and NFA items if you don't have a trust. Not true.

If you have enough stuff to leave to your heirs, you need a will. If you even remotely think some of your heirs may be PO's about who gets what, you need to specify who gets what, if fact no one may be PO'd but if you leave everything to your wife, the now banned AR-15 you promised your son will have to wait until she checks out, so put it all down on paper. If you want to leave all your firearms to one person, they (the guns) do not have to be individually specified.

After you leave the forum and the planet, the transfer for regulated firearms isn't that bad. I expect NFA items require new transfer taxes unless you have them in a trust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom