• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I'm looking at getting a free float upper for my Spikes 16" midlength. Some young friends of mine are suggesting a key mod. Are they just for looks or do they serve some purpose. I've been looking at Midwest Industries 9"-12" SS Gen 2 fore ends, with the long oval openings. I don't put much of anything on my fore ends. Just looking for a reasonable priced and light one. These come with 3 rails attachments I think. The prices are in my budget range also.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Some buy them for looks, some buy them for being able to add a 1913 rail section for attaching just what they need on the rail - without having the weight and ergo hit of a full 1913 rail system.

I bought mine for both reasons. The quad-rails get a little rough on the hands, and they can add a bit of weight. May not mean much if your just casually shooting at the range, but if your going to be handling the rifle for a few hours on end, then the weight and ergo advantage comes into play.

In weight terms, the 13" BCM KMR still screws with my mind - it's surprisingly light for a 13" rail system.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I just picked up an Anderson upper for my Anderson lower.

Nice free float setup. Full length rail on top, short rail section on the bottom.

http://www.andersonrifles.com/product/16-complete-300-blackout-upper/

You can also add rail sections at 1:30, 3 and 4:30 on both sides. The rails screw on fromt he outside, so you can add or remove at any time.

I can't find that exact handguard on their parts. They have similar, but without the slots for cooling.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Some buy them for looks, some buy them for being able to add a 1913 rail section for attaching just what they need on the rail - without having the weight and ergo hit of a full 1913 rail system.

I bought mine for both reasons. The quad-rails get a little rough on the hands, and they can add a bit of weight. May not mean much if your just casually shooting at the range, but if your going to be handling the rifle for a few hours on end, then the weight and ergo advantage comes into play.

In weight terms, the 13" BCM KMR still screws with my mind - it's surprisingly light for a 13" rail system.

So do the rails sections attach differently to the key hole fore ends than the oblong hole fore ends? The Midwest Industries come with 3 rail sections to put on wherever you want. All I really need is a top rail and maybe a vertical grip.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    You need different adapters so to speak. I personally have a keymod as well. Got it on an engage rifle. I have small hands so full quad rails are a little bulky, and heavier to boot. If you're shooting offhand for an extended period of time it's loads better than a full quad, at least in my experience.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    So do the rails sections attach differently to the key hole fore ends than the oblong hole fore ends? The Midwest Industries come with 3 rail sections to put on wherever you want. All I really need is a top rail and maybe a vertical grip.

I couldn't say for the Midwest rails - not familiar with those.

But they should attach the same either way. It's supposed to be the beauty of KeyMod, even if they differ in looks, the attachment method should be the same.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    So I guess the key holes help reduce weight? I have an AR with a quad rail and I'm not too fond of it, even with the rubber covers. Would just have to get used to the shelving standard look of a key mod:)

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I'm looking at getting a free float upper for my Spikes 16" midlength. Some young friends of mine are suggesting a key mod. Are they just for looks or do they serve some purpose. I've been looking at Midwest Industries 9"-12" SS Gen 2 fore ends, with the long oval openings. I don't put much of anything on my fore ends. Just looking for a reasonable priced and light one. These come with 3 rails attachments I think. The prices are in my budget range also.

The MI SS gen 2 is pretty light and won't break the bank. Like you, I didn't want to attach anything to it on this rifle. Does the job it's intended to do.

1D37DEF4-7092-4623-B185-E575E3CA144B_zpsj1zjn2jj.jpg

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    I know it's not keymod, but I love my Midwest Industries Lightweight M-Lok handguard. M-Lok hasn't taken off yet, but Magpul is ramping up support. It's light, easy to hold, narrow diameter... everything I wanted.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Taking KeyMod out of the equation entirely. I don't think I've held a lighter aluminum-type rail than the KMR. 7.7 ounces for a 13" rail and barrel nut. That puts my other rail systems to shame on it's own.

View attachment 126641

The carbon fiber handguards may be lighter, but I haven't held one of those yet.

The KMR may feel tiny if you have big ol' bear claws, but if you don't have massive mitts, it's damn near perfect.

Pity I couldn't get one to fit on the .50, that fvcker needs to lose some weight. :)

Last edited:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    The MI SS gen 2 is pretty light and won't break the bank. Like you, I didn't want to attach anything to it on this rifle. Does the job it's intended to do.

1D37DEF4-7092-4623-B185-E575E3CA144B_zpsj1zjn2jj.jpg

So that's the key mod? I didn't see it on their site. I just want the round model with a top rail. I think 12" would be plenty. I have a 16" mid length Spikes upper that came with a Magpul for end. I've seen 15" hand guards and they are way too much.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    So that's the key mod? I didn't see it on their site. I just want the round model with a top rail. I think 12" would be plenty. I have a 16" mid length Spikes upper that came with a Magpul for end. I've seen 15" hand guards and they are way too much.

MI has a few keymod options, but that appears to be the K-series due to the full length top rail.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I believe the PRI carbon tubes are lighter... I personally don't like the key mod rails that much because of how skinny they are. My big hands prefer the Spikes BAR rail.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    There's several options out there for "slick" handguards with the ability to put rails and/or attachments only where you want them. Keymod is one system of them, M-lock is another system, some of the Geissele rails have these options and Geissele makes some keymod and some M-lock, Centurion Arms' CMR is yet another.

I had a Geissele MK4 rail which was nice having rails only at the top and very front. I just got to try some of BCM's KMR rails at an EAG tactical class and they were very light and nicely fit in my hand. I had ordered a KMR equipped BCM upper before that and it came in this week and I'm still very happy with my choice.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    I believe the PRI carbon tubes are lighter... I personally don't like the key mod rails that much because of how skinny they are. My big hands prefer the Spikes BAR rail.

That's a seekins product that spikes puts their logo on and jacks the price up.

Seekins MCSR is keymod and beefy.

Keymod != small diameter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom