• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    I've been giving thought to expanding my collection with a .50 Beowulf upper for my AR, but Alexander Arms comments that this caliber should only be used with particularly heavy duty telescoping stocks. Of my AR lowers however, one has the M4 telescoping stock and the other has a B5 SOPMOD. Are either these going to be strong enough or am I risking breaking them with .50 Beowulf?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    A.A. is full of shyt there.

I've run a basic CTR, and a ACS on my .50 Beo with 0 issues and no sign of impending breakage.

View attachment 122600

I've stopped counting how many rounds I've put down the pipe (over 1500 at least). This upper/round never fails to put a smile on my face.

Don't know if I'd recommend running a SD-3G trigger like I am, bumping this thumper can be a bit of handful - but it's ungodly fun.

Last edited:

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel

I've run a basic CTR, and a ACS on my .50 Beo with 0 issues and no sign of impending breakage.

View attachment 122600

I've stopped counting how many rounds I've put down the pipe (over 1500 at least). This upper/round never fails to put a smile on my face.

Don't know if I'd recommend running a SD-3G trigger like I am, bumping this thumper can be a bit of handful - but it's ungodly fun.

Oh, cool. On a related note, how do you like the pepperbox muzzle brake? I see they have some kind of artillery-looking thing now, which looks so silly on the end of an AR that it's hard for me to take seriously.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Oh, cool. On a related note, how do you like the pepperbox muzzle brake? I see they have some kind of artillery-looking thing now, which looks so silly on the end of an AR that it's hard for me to take seriously.

Significant improvement since the brake was added on.

I got a basic entry upper (unthreaded/no brake), and after about 15 rounds, you definitely had thoughts about hanging it up for the day. Especially with factory loads - A.A. seems to load the 335gr Rainier's pretty stout.

Since the brake, I've been able to shoot this upper all day long. It's still not a 5.56 by any stretch of the imagination, but it's actually something you can shoot for a few hours on end now.

W/out the brake, I'd peg recoil as equivalent to a 3" 12ga slug from a 20" barrel. With the brake (and a light handload), I'd say it's pretty close to a heavy 30-30 load in recoil. The pepperpot does a pretty good job of taming the round.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    I've been giving thought to expanding my collection with a .50 Beowulf upper for my AR, but Alexander Arms comments that this caliber should only be used with particularly heavy duty telescoping stocks. Of my AR lowers however, one has the M4 telescoping stock and the other has a B5 SOPMOD. Are either these going to be strong enough or am I risking breaking them with .50 Beowulf?

I know two people that have used Colt lowers with factory telescoping stocks. They've encountered no problems whatsoever.

jasonk1229

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2013
    MD
    I could feel the 50 beo Shockwave 2 positions over at hap Baker not a neighbor friendly range round. Guy was complaining about his shoulder when we smoked during cease fire lol

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    One thing I like about it is, the ability to run heavy rounds from 245gr solid copper projectiles to 530gr steel-tip projectiles.

It's a specialized caliber admittedly. If your willing to accept it's limitations and work within them, it's a very fun and useable round.

Big sell for me is, the round will take any game in the continental US, makes a hunting trip a little easier to plan out. No packing multiple rifles for me.

ETA: If I want to feel like I'm rich, I'll buy a 338LM and some $7 a round match ammo. By comparison, this is just a plinker.

Last edited:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    View attachment 122962

This is why I like this oddball caliber.

On the left, my plinking round. A 300gr HSM Plated HP.

On the right, something that'll leave a bit more of a 'mark'. 530gr Steel-tip Safari round. :D

Last edited:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I busted a no-name stock on my Beowulf (as well as a DMS-1 and an Eotech 512.) Switched to a F93 a few years ago and no issues since.

So far the only thing I've busted has been a CenterPoint 2x7 scope.

Aimpoint PRO held up beautifully, but sold that off.

Somehow the CenterPoint 4x16 side-focus I put on there for shyts and giggles has still kept together. Shot the mount loose a few times, but some Loctite fixed that issue.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    So far the only thing I've busted has been a CenterPoint 2x7 scope.

Aimpoint PRO held up beautifully, but sold that off.

Somehow the CenterPoint 4x16 side-focus I put on there for shyts and giggles has still kept together. Shot the mount loose a few times, but some Loctite fixed that issue.

I had a DMS-1 and broke it. Sent it back, got another. Broke that one. Put an Eotech 512 on it. Broke that. Sent it back, got another. Put a U.S. Optics 1.8-10X on it. Got hit in the eyebrow. Twice. Took that off, and put an Aimpoint PRO on it; that seems to be holding up.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia

View attachment 122600

Think about the USAMU's TacMod stock instead. Has a limbsaver recoil pad built in.

http://www.gamaliel.com/AR15Accessories/KFS_TacMod_AR15_Adjustable_Stock.asp

I use one on my 6.8 SPC II DMR rifle and I have seen Daniel Horner use one in 3-gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom