• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Thinking about scoping my Marlin 336. I don't hunt (yet) with it, but it would be my go to gun if I had to make a 150-175 yard shot right now. Might get to try something at the lever gun shoot this weekend, but what do you guys recommend for something like this?

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    Lever-Action Rifle Scope
    There is a Cabelas Branded Scope that is calibrated for the "Lever Revolution" ammunition. I would go for that, its a 99.99 scope and can be calibrated for I think up to 300 yards. Its acutally on sale right now for $49.99

rob b

c@r collecting
    I have this base set it uses leupold rings
    if you need a base set

Attachments

• 336 base.jpg
      336 base.jpg
      22.5 KB · Views: 493
    Last edited:

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I've got the one that came with my 336 (not mounted) if you want to try one out before you buy.

I shoot irons on that particular rifle but am saving the scope for impending aging....

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'm going to bump this back up. Would anyone care to weigh in on a good scope for a Marlin 336 in .30-30?

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    I'm going to bump this back up. Would anyone care to weigh in on a good scope for a Marlin 336 in .30-30?

I have an old Weaver K-4 on my Winchester 94 in .30-30. My dad has a Marlin 336 in .35Rem, I'll check what his scope is this weekend (my guess is something cheap).

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    For the relatively close(200 yards and under) ranges a 30-30 is capable of, even with spitzer ammo, a scout setup with a fixed 4X compact handgun scope is ideal, cheap and simple to set up, and allows good periferal vision I like the simmons pro-hunter, cheap, and can stand up to the recoil of my 44mag revolver, so a 30-30 long gun shouldn't be a problem at all, however there are plenty Leupolds, Nikons, and so on that are better if you feel so inclined. If it is chambered in something with longer legs like 308 marlin, and you forsee shooting past 200 yards then a 3-9X scope mounted on top of the reciever may be a better way to go. IMO the 336 is a nice compact and powerful rifle that is at home in the brush, and well suited for fast shots in close, and leverrevolution ammo, or handloading spitzers (1 in the chamber 1 in the tube) has streached it's abilities into the occasional shots not so close. It does not befit it to be mounted onto a rest and shot for groups, or fitted with a cumbersome large scope and bipod for prone shooting, it is at home when fired from a standing position, or can be quite accurate from a supported sitting/kneeling position, or at worst with a walking stick monopod as a front rest.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    While i havnt had a chance to shoot it yet, Mine has a Weaver K-4 on it as well and the guy who i bought it from liked it. Sorry Not sure who makes the rings.

Attachments

• Marlin .JPG
      Marlin .JPG
      22.4 KB · Views: 517
    I have a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm on my 1975 Browning BLR in .308 Winchester. I used the Leupold standard single piece mount and standard medium rings.

My Marlin 1894C sports a Leupold VX-II 1-4x20mm using a a Leupold quick release single piece mount on the receiver. It cantilevers out over the barrel. I used low rings and removed the front and rear iron sights so that I wouldn't see them through the scope.

I hope to sight in the Marlin tomorrow using Buffalo Bore heavy .357 mags that claim a higher energy than a 30-30.

I have a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm on my 1975 Browning BLR in .308 Winchester. I used the Leupold standard single piece mount and standard medium rings.

My Marlin 1894C sports a Leupold VX-II 1-4x20mm using a a Leupold quick release single piece mount on the receiver. It cantilevers out over the barrel. I used low rings and removed the front and rear iron sights so that I wouldn't see them through the scope.
    The Browning is on top, the Marlin is below.

photo.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A fixed 2.5 - 3.0x . For cheap and easy to find, I am notorious for using the Tasco and Busshnell 2.5x shotgun scopes from Wally Word as rifle scopes. The more expensive, yet reassonable by quality scope standards is the Weaver K2.5 . Ideal is to hunt down an older steel tube Weaver.
    Non magnifing red dots are fine for pistol/ shotgun distances, but a little magnification is helpful at 100yds, at dawn/ dusk, in the shadows. Have tried a 1-4x variable,which in reality is more like a 1.5- 3.5x . Lower than 2.5 didn't really allow for faster target acquisition , 2.5 is plenty to hit bambi in the chest out to well past typical .30-30 distances. If you stumble across an older scope in the once popular 2.75x or 3x they will work as well, just they haven't survived into today's variable obsessed world.
    For the really old school option you should use a reciever sight. Either a Lyman or Williams , or a Skiner Sights ( similar to XS rear sight , but substantially improve, yet much better price) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nestor875

Latest threads

Top Bottom