• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OEH

Nov 18, 2010
    29B
    Trying to figure out how to remove the mag catch from my 1945 Star B. The manual I downloaded mentioned pushing in the button from the left and turning the catch lock to the left with the cleaning rod. This must be written for a later model. Mine has the smooth mag release button and the mag catch has what looks like the end of a pin or more likely a screw slightly protruding.
    Any idea how to remove this without buggering it up? I would swear that I have seen others with a slot in the mag button. Does it unscrew from the catch?

Thanks.

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    The screw isn't really a screw...its more of a pin with a post on it. Press in the mag catch, then use a jewlers screwdriver to turn the "screw" slightly. You may have to move it around a bit to find the point where it releases. Then you should be able to push the entire assemly out.

OEH

Nov 18, 2010
    29B
    What you're describing is a cam type system. I think that may have been on later models. I don't think that is what I have. Here are the 2 sides of the catch. There is no slot to put a screwdriver blade in. I'm wondering if the button has a shaft that goes all the way across the frame and into the mag catch. :shrug:

DSC_0337 (Small).JPG

DSC_0338 (Small).JPG

Jul 1, 2012
    The button unscrews from the left side.

As you can see, it's tempting to go after it with pliers (mine is marred).
    I used a thick rubber band and some smooth needle-nose and it loosened right up.

Your results may vary. Good Luck !

Attachments

• MC1s.JPG
      MC1s.JPG
      38.5 KB · Views: 765
    • MC2s.jpg
      MC2s.jpg
      24.2 KB · Views: 779

OEH

Nov 18, 2010
    29B
    Awesome! Man that thing was in there tight. One more question if you don't mind.. How does the trigger/sear bar/interrupter assembly come out?

Jul 1, 2012
    The trigger bar (sear bar) is pinned to the trigger so it comes out as an assembly but I've never had one completely apart.

The last part of the factory manual has a good walk-through of how to do it:

http://star-firearms.com/firearms/manuals/downloads/a,b,m,p,s_manual.pdf

you'll need some good punches, a steady hand, and intestinal fortitude.

Important note: "All the pins are removed from left to right, except the trigger pin which comes out to the left."

Not a bad idea to mark the left side of the pin with a felt pen or something to keep track of which end is which when you remove it.

Jul 1, 2012
    Disassembly (from the manual, with caveat for the mag catch)

1) Remove grips (95 & 96b) unscrewing the four screws (97).
    2a)Holding the pistol in the left hand, depress the magazine catch button (29) with the
    index finger of the same hand far enough inwards to permit the catch lock (28) to be
    turned to the left by means of the cleaning rod. The complete magazine catch assembly
    may now be removed from the frame.
    2b) NOTE: on older Stars, the mag catch button on the left is actually the "screw head" and the assembly unscrews from the left. It's usually not easy to do, take care not to damage or mar the button. A good penetrating oil pre-soaking of the exposed screw end on the right side (in the catch itself) is a good idea.
    3) Remove pin (20) from the trigger (19) and both pieces will come out without difficutly,
    together with the sear bar (23) and interrupter (25), when pulling it downwards.
    4) To remove the sear bar (23) from the trigger (19), push the sear bar pin out, thus
    freeing it as well as the trigger plunger (22) and its spring (21).
    5) Remove sear pin (15) and this will free the sear spring (16).
    6) Using a copper or brass punch, drive out the hammer pin (11) from right to left from
    the hammer (06). This releases both the spring (09) and plunger (10).
    7) Withdraw the thumb safety (36), grasping the thumb piece and turning to the right,
    lift it up. Care should be taken [NOT] to let the plunger (38) and its spring (39) jump away when
    released.
    8) The slide stop (41) has a pin which when removed frees the retaining plunger and its
    spring.
    9) The extractor (66) may now be removed, pushing the pin (67) from below upwards.
    This frees the spring (69).
    10) Remove the rear sight (74) from right to left, drifting slightly with a copper punch.
    11) Push the retaining pin (71) of the firing pin (70) upwards from the slide and tilting the
    slide release this piece and its spring (72).

"Re-assembly is reverse procedure"

Expanded view (this may be copyrighted so here's a link instead):
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Star-33508/B-42119.htm

The diagrams from the manual are open-source.

Attachments

• Parts Breakdown 1.JPG
      Parts Breakdown 1.JPG
      72.2 KB · Views: 632
    • Parts Breakdown 2.jpg
      Parts Breakdown 2.jpg
      79 KB · Views: 674

OEH

Nov 18, 2010
    29B
    Thanks for the info. I had the manual but as you see, what's in the manual isn't really whats on the gun.
    FWIW, I did get the trigger assembly out fine. After determining that there was no way that it was coming out as described in the manual, I nutted up and pressed the sear lever out enough to clear the frame and forced the trigger group straight to the rear. I was worried that the sear lever was going to bend in the process but it came through fine. This was the only way that I could see to remove it.
    Re the mag catch - I used a small piece of inner tube and a long pair of needle nose pliers. It was tight enough that I still marred the button a little. I'm refinishing the whole thing so I will try to "buff it out".
    Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom