• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    What is the deal with transferring an SKS from out of state. I found one in PA but I'm not sure if I would have to have it shipped to my FFL. I looked up the laws on this and it is quite confusing, for me anyway. From what I gather, it depends on the configuration of the rifle (pistol grip, removable mags etc). I'll post a picture of the rifle in case that helps. I was hoping I could drive to pick it up in person. Any help would be appreciated.

-Ryan

sks1.jpg

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    do you have a C&R? If so you can have it shipped to you direct(not those mags though), I was also told that if you have a C&R that you can drive up and get it.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    do you have a C&R? If so you can have it shipped to you direct(not those mags though), I was also told that if you have a C&R that you can drive up and get it.

with C&R you can go get it or receive it either way, except that while in that stock that gun is not C&R, it must be in original configuration.

you can still go and pick it up yourself if you dont have a C&R if it is being sold by a dealer, if not, you will have to have it shipped to a dealer in MD to receive it.

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    Thanks for the quick responses. Unfortunately, no C&R, and this is not being sold by a dealer. Looks like this dashes my hopes of being able to save a few bucks. Just to be clear though, an SKS with removable mags and/or pistol grip is considered a regulated firearm? This was my interpretation.

...OH and FWIW, those are 20 rnd mags.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    Thanks for the quick responses. Unfortunately, no C&R, and this is not being sold by a dealer. Looks like this dashes my hopes of being able to save a few bucks. Just to be clear though, an SKS with removable mags and/or pistol grip is considered a regulated firearm? This was my interpretation.

...OH and FWIW, those are 20 rnd mags.

its the removable mags that make it regulated, pistol grip is fine.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Private seller to private seller across state lines needs to have a FFL involved.

If you know the seller, the 2 of you could meet at a mutually convenient FFL on either side of the line and be done in 5 minutes, if its unregulated.

Detachable mags make a sks regulated, so buy it with the factory non detachable mag installed, and pick up some detachable ones "later".

In regulated form it would have to go to a MD FFL and 7 day wait.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    If it is unregulated would'nt FTF be ok? If you can buy from a dealer out of state OTD why not private? I am pretty much sure it would need to go back in the wood stock/w fixed mag for the handoff technically but other than that PA handoff should be fine.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    If it is unregulated would'nt FTF be ok? If you can buy from a dealer out of state OTD why not private? I am pretty much sure it would need to go back in the wood stock/w fixed mag for the handoff technically but other than that PA handoff should be fine.

A very big No-No. FTF on long guns from another state is violation of federal law. Gun must go through an FFL, unless the buyer is a C&R holder, and the gun meets the criteria for C&R. As the OP stated he is not a C&R holder, and the seller is not a FFL, the gun must be sent to a MD FFL for the buyer to pick up there. I guess the seller could take it to a PA FFL, and the seller go there to purchase, but it seems like a roundabout way to do the same thing.

MH

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    "If the gun were configured in nonregulated status" , the buyer and seller could meet at a PA FFL. Seller hands gun to FFL, he enters it into bound book. 5 seconds later the FFL sells it to buyer.

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    I sure do wish I lived 15 minutes north of here, in PA :banghead:

Thanks for the info fellas

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    your fine FTF no problem with an unregulated rifle. just go up buy it and bring it on back your fine.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    I sure do wish I lived 15 minutes north of here, in PA :banghead:

Thanks for the info fellas

in PA the law would be exactly the same except for the magazine issue, but all you need to do is have the guy ship the mags to your house seperately and theres no problem.

all the other transfer stuff is federal law.

as someone else mentioned, since you're so close to PA, if you drive up there to pick it up, you and the seller could go to an FFL and he could hand it over to the FFL, the FFl then sells it to you like you were buying it from him, basically its a consignment sale with a predetermined buyer.

its easier and cheaper to pay the FFL and leave with the rifle right away than to have the guy ship it to a dealer who you would also have to pay a fee too ontop of shipping cost.

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    Private party pa resident owns sks. Maryland c&r holder. Can the Maryland c&r holder go to pa and buy the c&r sks from the pa resident?

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Private party pa resident owns sks. Maryland c&r holder. Can the Maryland c&r holder go to pa and buy the c&r sks from the pa resident?

Yes. Maryland C&R holder is a FFL and can purchase a C&R eligible firearm in any state that allows it.

The only thing I would worry about in this instance would be if the SKS had a removable magazine installed. If it did I would remove it before bringing it back to Maryland.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Let's assume the buyer takes possession of the SKS in its original configuration, which means it has the non-detachable magazine. Would it not be illegal for him to then convert it to use a detachable magazine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom