• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ruffrocca

KingWayneTheGreat
    Mar 29, 2015
    Baltimore, MD
    For those that care. I just submitted a petition for the Canik TP9v2 this morning. It goes before the board on the 4th of Sept, and was told if everything works out it will be added to the roster and legal to purchase on the 4th of Oct.
    More than likely everything should go smoothly cause it's just a model variant.

Now I'm trying to get Tristar on board... Just waiting on Ryan to call me back.
    ...You're welcome

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    @ruffrocca - thanks for making the effort. You're helping preserve gun rights here by doing so. I also purchased and had a gun (through my FFL) submitted to the roster approval board last year for the first time.

@Waz - depending on their FFL, they may be able to take advantage of the rebate. FFLs can accept shipments of pistols not yet on the roster, and just hold off on the buyer doing the 77R paperwork to obtain the handgun until it is roster approved. So the purchase date could still be in the rebate approved period. (unable to look at your link given the internet network that I'm currently on)

ruffrocca

KingWayneTheGreat
    Mar 29, 2015
    Baltimore, MD
    Well I got word back that there was a bump in the road. The meeting that was scheduled for Sept was rescheduled and I wasn't given an exact date as to when the next meeting will happen but was told that I'd would definitely make that one. When I find out more info I'll keep everyone updated.

As far as the Tristar goes I spoke to the rep (Ryan) and he was apprehensive about helping me. I explained the whole process of needing him (Tristar) to submit a firearm to the Maryland State Police Firearms Board in order to get it approved and legal to sell here. I gave him all the contact info, as well as well as official documents and forms and blah blah blah... basically he said he'll think about... (I'm saying, dude this is the MD state police! They aren't gonna jack you for your piece lol. You're gonna get it back and get some new MD customers out the deal! But sadly Ryan was actin like a little puss) Soooo I said screw that. I did my homework and saw that the Tristar (Canik) T-120 is just a port-less spin-off of the Canik Shark (Which is currently on the list). With that being said I explained it all to the rep at the board, and was given the green light to submit the petition for it without needing to submit the actual firearm with it. Thanks for nothing Ryan @ Tristar... little puss! After this I'm looking to see what else I can get added. Maybe the Canik C-100.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    After this I'm looking to see what else I can get added. Maybe the Canik C-100.

I have the C-100 and love it - mine had about a 2.5-3 pound trigger pull (SA mode) out of the box, and about 5 pound pull in DA. Also have the Shark-FC and the TP9SA. All are great guns.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    For those that care. I just submitted a petition for the Canik TP9v2 this morning. It goes before the board on the 4th of Sept, and was told if everything works out it will be added to the roster and legal to purchase on the 4th of Oct.
    More than likely everything should go smoothly cause it's just a model variant.

Now I'm trying to get Tristar on board... Just waiting on Ryan to call me back.
    ...You're welcome

Isn't this essentially a copy of the Walther P99?

ruffrocca

KingWayneTheGreat
    Mar 29, 2015
    Baltimore, MD
    I have the C-100 and love it - mine had about a 2.5-3 pound trigger pull (SA mode) out of the box, and about 5 pound pull in DA. Also have the Shark-FC and the TP9SA. All are great guns.

I want all three! The Tristar T-120 in the place of the Shark, but they still are pretty similar. I was thinkin about getting the TP9v2 and the TP9SA. After getting all these 9mm's I would definitely have to get some .40 cals and .45's to mix it up. So many guns so little $$$

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD

Regardless of what is said on the web, I personally don't find much in common between the Walther P99 (mine is a compact model) and the TP9 (original or SA). I like both guns, but for different reasons. Trigger pull on the TP9SA is much different and of course, is SA only instead of the P99 DA/SA; the TP9 has the standard American mag release on the grip instead of the trigger guard (like most Walthers and HKs), and the grip to me is different. Both have the pushbutton decocker at the top of the slide.

ruffrocca

KingWayneTheGreat
    Mar 29, 2015
    Baltimore, MD

I see the forums just like you see them. Doesn't mean I agree with them. I don't care what people say. They see a goat but I see a horse and that's fine. But just like the goat and horse if you look closely at both guns Canik TP9v2/TP9SA VS Walther P99 there are differences that are miles apart. But if you really can't see how they're different I'm more than happy to help point out a few.

1) The grips are different
    2) The mag release buttons are TOTALLY different
    3) The trigger guards are shaped differently
    4) The magazines rest in the base of the frame differently
    5) The mags aren't interchangeable between the Walther and the Canik
    6) Looking at the front of the slide it's more of an A shape on the Walther as where the Tp9SA is more a square shape
    7) On the SA the front face of the slide has a slight contour that sticks out. The face of the Walther is flat.
    8) Both the Caniks have ambi decockers and the Walther has just one
    9) The Walter's accessory rail has one notch but both the Tp9v2 and the SA have three.
    10) The Caniks have 3 markings on the rear site the Walther only has two.
    11) Both Caniks have a trigger saftey and the Walther doesn't.
    12) When it comes to breaking the gun down the takedown lever on the Walther locks down. On the Canik the take down lever is held down so the slide can be removed.
    13) The Walther holds 15 rounds the Canik holds 18
    14) The Tp9sa is longer and weighs more than the Walther
    15) The stippling on the grips are different
    16) The loaded chamber indicator on the Canik is on top of the slide. The indicator on the Walther is located on the side.
    17) On each model Walther the serrations on the slide are different than the Tp9sa. As a matter of fact the machining on most of the damn slide is just different.

These are a lot of differences for them to be clones. Maybe you should actually look at some pictures and watch some videos on youtube before you waste your finger strength and time cutting and pasting other peoples opinions. Take a look at a CZ 75 compact and a Tristar C-100 that's a better example of a clone.
    Like I said before if you were just comparing the original TP9 the the P99 then I could have let it ride, but I think you bit off a little more than you can chew on this one.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    I see the forums just like you see them. Doesn't mean I agree with them. I don't care what people say. They see a goat but I see a horse and that's fine. But just like the goat and horse if you look closely at both guns Canik TP9v2/TP9SA VS Walther P99 there are differences that are miles apart. But if you really can't see how they're different I'm more than happy to help point out a few.

1) The grips are different
    2) The mag release buttons are TOTALLY different
    3) The trigger guards are shaped differently
    4) The magazines rest in the base of the frame differently
    5) The mags aren't interchangeable between the Walther and the Canik
    6) Looking at the front of the slide it's more of an A shape on the Walther as where the Tp9SA is more a square shape
    7) On the SA the front face of the slide has a slight contour that sticks out. The face of the Walther is flat.
    8) Both the Caniks have ambi decockers and the Walther has just one
    9) The Walter's accessory rail has one notch but both the Tp9v2 and the SA have three.
    10) The Caniks have 3 markings on the rear site the Walther only has two.
    11) Both Caniks have a trigger saftey and the Walther doesn't.
    12) When it comes to breaking the gun down the takedown lever on the Walther locks down. On the Canik the take down lever is held down so the slide can be removed.
    13) The Walther holds 15 rounds the Canik holds 18
    14) The Tp9sa is longer and weighs more than the Walther
    15) The stippling on the grips are different
    16) The loaded chamber indicator on the Canik is on top of the slide. The indicator on the Walther is located on the side.
    17) On each model Walther the serrations on the slide are different than the Tp9sa. As a matter of fact the machining on most of the damn slide is just different.

These are a lot of differences for them to be clones. Maybe you should actually look at some pictures and watch some videos on youtube before you waste your finger strength and time cutting and pasting other peoples opinions. Take a look at a CZ 75 compact and a Tristar C-100 that's a better example of a clone.
    Like I said before if you were just comparing the original TP9 the the P99 then I could have let it ride, but I think you bit off a little more than you can chew on this one.

I was referring to the firing mechanism. Not cosmetics or ergonomics.

It seems that is the case for the SA.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/12/james-grant/gun-review-cai-canik55-tp-9/

This pistol is a Walther p99 copy and its trigger mechanism is same with its original’s initial production samples except the double sided decocker. P99 has a two arm striker releaser and though this construction is absolute safe against to the impacts and drops coming from the muzzle end, it is only supported by compressed striker spring and friction against to the drops and impacts to come from the back side. In case of an impact occured from that side, the only safety to keep the gun from discharging will be the striker safety. In fact, excepting the Glock, Steyr M and Russian GSh 18, all other striker pistols of polymer kind use the same approach to prevent accidental discharges though impacts and drops as sacrificing weapon’s cocked mode which can not be accepted as a real “Drop Safety”. XD’s have an additional grip safety to prevent accidental striker release without trigger exertion, but in case of an impact happened when the gun is held, they will behave in the same manner

ruffrocca

KingWayneTheGreat
    Mar 29, 2015
    Baltimore, MD
    Dude you originally were reffering to the TP9v2, now you're saying the SA as in the TP9SA . That article you are referencing and quoting is referring to the original TP9 being the clone. That's three different guns. You should re-read our whole convo just to see how mixed up and ignorant you sound. I gave you the way out with the tp9 like two replies ago.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I'm interested too, in their newest model with the improved trigger and no inactivation of the gun after decocking. Just wondering about the mag issue. Not sure if they sell any with a 10-rd mag option, and beyond that, wonder about availability of standard capacity mags when out of state. Probably can't buy in a Cabela's or the like, so need to have an out of state residence to purchase from/ship to.

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    I'm interested too, in their newest model with the improved trigger and no inactivation of the gun after decocking. Just wondering about the mag issue. Not sure if they sell any with a 10-rd mag option, and beyond that, wonder about availability of standard capacity mags when out of state. Probably can't buy in a Cabela's or the like, so need to have an out of state residence to purchase from/ship to.

They're out of stock now, but Classic will ship with the magazines included.
    https://www.classicfirearms.com/tp9-v2-sa-black-new-model-18rd-hg3352n

you'll just need an FFL willing to block the mags to 10. Some of our IPs do it, but they might charge a small fee.

acquiring additional mags might still need an out of state address, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom