• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hjc4604

Aug 1, 2009
    Sykesville
    Well, by then I will be a resident of South Carolina. I'm retiring, leaving the People's Republic of Maryland and taking my money with me. House is already sold.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Well, by then I will be a resident of South Carolina. I'm retiring, leaving the People's Republic of Maryland and taking my money with me. House is already sold.

Hurry before there is an exit tax..

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Doesn't affect MD so your exit is no less affected.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yeah, but the waiting period is only waived for those that possess a California carry permit or a "Certificate of Eligibility" AND already posses at least one firearm known to the State of California. Pretty much sounds like you either have to have a carry permit or the equivalent of Maryland's HQL to avoid the 10 day waiting period. Of course, this is common sense, but as far as I am concerned, passing the NICS should be enough to allow a person to walk out the gun shop with the gun as soon as the NICS comes back.

Guess we have to claw back the 2nd Amendment one little victory at a time as the antis attempt to destroy the 2nd Amendment one little victory at a time.

Only thing that really matters is when SCOTUS decides to hear something. Then, those are big battles and big wins.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    "Certificate of Eligibility" OR already posses at least one firearm known to the State of California.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...o-are-known-to-the-state-to-already-own-guns/

I was just quoting the article that the OP posted, but in reading the opinion you linked you are correct. Journalism really sucks nowadays.

Reading the opinion makes the win even smaller. Essentially, all this is saying is that IF the background check comes back quicker than 10 days, then the person is entitled to pick up the gun at that time. Sounds as though California has its own background check in place, just like Maryland does for regulated firearms, and that the background check the Court is talking about is NOT the NICS check. So, if the California department doing the background check takes 9 days on ALL firearms background checks, then there is a defacto 9 day waiting period.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The opinion says about 20% of firearms purchases are auto-approved within 1-2 hours, but they do not check for existing guns or CCW. For those that are not auto-approved there is an 8 day backlog, but 99% of all purchases are eventually approved.

Unfortunately, "it takes as long as it takes" might be the correct answer, with some exceptions, so long as background checks themselves are ok, and they are not sitting on their hands not doing them. Even with voter registration and ID, not sure there is a right to govt efficiency.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Another issue. CA law is a "cooling off" period. MD is a maximum time limit that the State has to rule on the transfer, or it is allowed to occur.

Different things.

But worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom