• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrgnstrn

Mar 18, 2014
    I am not a lawyer.

But I love seeing what else can be done with the opinion we got.

I found many many many interesting bits within it that might support opening gun rights in other areas, particularly the NFA stuff.

1. Short barrelled rifles
    In United States v. Miller, 307 U.S. 174 (1939), the Court rejected a Second Amendment challenge to the defendants’ convictions for unlawful possession of a short-barreled shotgun because there was no “evidence tending to show” that such a weapon was related “to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia” or was “part of the ordinary military equipment,” id. at 178. Significantly, however, Miller noted that “ordinarily when called for [militia] service [able-bodied] men were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time.” Id. at 179; see Heller, 554 U.S. at 624-25 (“The traditional militia was formed from a pool of men bringing arms in common use at the time for lawful purposes like self-defense. In the colonial and revolutionary war era, small-arms weapons used by militiamen and weapons used in defense of person and home were one and the same.” (internal quotation marks and alteration omitted)).
    Interesting....the Military standard version of the M-4 uses a 14.5" barrel.
    If the standard is "weapons...[that are] port of the ordinary military equipment", why not the standard M-4?
    Hmmmmm.

In addition, although the opinion talks about what weapons *are* considered dangerous and unusual, I'm pretty sure they never once say short barreled rifles are in that camp.
    Hmmmm.

And since we have seen quite an expansion of late with regard to NFA items, I wonder if once could correctly conclude that SBRs are nowadays "usual" weapons.
    Hmmmmm.

2. Machine guns.
    Although the opinion incorrectly states that all machine guns were banned in 1934, and continues to go back to them as THE example "dangerous and unusual" weapons, there is this other part of the opinion that talks to the "unusualness":
    Friedman, on the other hand, ignores the Supreme Court’s specification of present-day focus and asks instead whether certain features of the weapons in question were common at the time of the Founding, effectively elevating a Heller dissent to constitutional canon. Compare Friedman, 784 F.3d at 408-09 (suggesting that present day common use cannot be the relevant
    test because machine guns were in common use when they were federally banned in 1934 and are now uncommon because of the ban), with Heller, 554 U.S. at 720-21 (Breyer, J., dissenting) (same).
    Interesting bit....
    Machine guns are unusual *because* they were "banned", but were usual up to that point. The same might be true of short-barreled shotguns, but whatever.....

Even more interestingly, if one were to correct this to say that they were usual up to 1934, and slightly less usual until 1986, at which point they were banned, and GEE WHIZ look at how many machine guns exist despite these restrictions.
    And the really beautiful part is that (supposedly) the ATF knows *exactly* how many exist, what with the registry and tax stamp records and whatnot.
    At that point, you may no longer be able to state that they are "unusual", despite the fact that the court relies upon them as being "unusual".
    Hmmmm.

(I bet those Hollis v. Holder people are already mulling this over....)

3. Suppressors/Silencers/Sound muffling devices.
    This part is interesting.
    -They are not mentioned at all in the opinion, despite being 1934 NFA items.
    -They are becoming normal military equipment. (see part above about SBRs)
    -They are becoming quite "usual" given the explosion of NFA trusts over the last few years, with exact numbers presumably at the ATFs fingertips.
    -They cannot be dangerous by themselves.
    -BUT....they are not core to the 2nd Amendment (I don't think) because they are not required for the weapon to operate, unlike other parts such as ammo, magazines and firing pins, as the opinion points out.
    Regardless, I think there may be some fruit on this vine for whatever lawsuits are out there today regarding suppressors. (I don't think there are any. Shame that.)

And now.... everybody tell me I'm full of crap.
    But do so constructively..
    :)

-M

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    There is also the public safery argument for suppressors. By muffling the sound from a gun. It makes it hearing safe. There are laws governing mufflers on vehicles for this very reason.

I like the M4 is an SBR so SBRs are normal argument.

Also interesting argument concerning why MGs are not ubiquitous.

I think suppressors have the best chance of coming off the NFA rolls. MGs will never come off. There is too much money tied up in the ones that can still be bought and sold.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    You know you still have to pay the $200 for the suppressor stamp, right...?
    .gov ain' givin' up those $$$...:rolleyes:

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    There is also the public safery argument for suppressors. By muffling the sound from a gun. It makes it hearing safe. There are laws governing mufflers on vehicles for this very reason.

I like the M4 is an SBR so SBRs are normal argument.

Also interesting argument concerning why MGs are not ubiquitous.

I think suppressors have the best chance of coming off the NFA rolls. MGs will never come off. There is too much money tied up in the ones that can still be bought and sold.

Ironic that cars and certain industrial equipment must be muffled/suppressed, but guns must not (without going through hoops), isn't it?

Where are the EPA, HHS, and CDC when we need them?

Feb 28, 2013

People oughta have the right to defend their home with a firearm without goin' deaf afterwards.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I just heard some law professor pundit on WMAL, that this decision has implications for the entire country and, "Gun control will be dead until this is appealed"

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    I don't really think they're making money on the stamps. If they are, it is not very much...

"U.S. Department of Justice
    Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
    Firearms and Explosives
    Assistant Director
    April 16, 2014
    www.atf.gov
    Dear Industry Colleague:
    As a result of recent changes in state laws concerning certain National Firearms Act (NFA) firearms and
    devices and other factors, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) has
    experienced an exponential increase in NFA applications in recent years and months. For example, in
    fiscal year 2005, while ATF processed nearly 41,600 NFA applications, by 2013 that number had
    skyrocketed by more than 380 percent to more than 199,900 applications. The increase is significant
    because of the volume as well as the short period of time in which applications have spiked..."

Ummm... that's just a quick find on the ATF eForm page... I didn't take the time to see how many as of the end of 2015...:shrug:

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    1. Short barrelled rifles

Interesting....the Military standard version of the M-4 uses a 14.5" barrel.
    If the standard is "weapons...[that are] port of the ordinary military equipment", why not the standard M-4?

In addition, although the opinion talks about what weapons *are* considered dangerous and unusual, I'm pretty sure they never once say short barreled rifles are in that camp.

And since we have seen quite an expansion of late with regard to NFA items, I wonder if once could correctly conclude that SBRs are nowadays "usual" weapons.

2. Machine guns.
    Although the opinion incorrectly states that all machine guns were banned in 1934, and continues to go back to them as THE example "dangerous and unusual" weapons, there is this other part of the opinion that talks to the "unusualness":

Interesting bit....
    Machine guns are unusual *because* they were "banned", but were usual up to that point. The same might be true of short-barreled shotguns, but whatever.....

Even more interestingly, if one were to correct this to say that they were usual up to 1934, and slightly less usual until 1986, at which point they were banned, and GEE WHIZ look at how many machine guns exist despite these restrictions.
    And the really beautiful part is that (supposedly) the ATF knows *exactly* how many exist, what with the registry and tax stamp records and whatnot.
    At that point, you may no longer be able to state that they are "unusual", despite the fact that the court relies upon them as being "unusual".
    Hmmmm.

(I bet those Hollis v. Holder people are already mulling this over....)

3. Suppressors/Silencers/Sound muffling devices.
    This part is interesting.
    -They are not mentioned at all in the opinion, despite being 1934 NFA items.
    -They are becoming normal military equipment. (see part above about SBRs)

-They are becoming quite "usual" given the explosion of NFA trusts over the last few years, with exact numbers presumably at the ATFs fingertips.
    -They cannot be dangerous by themselves.
    -BUT....they are not core to the 2nd Amendment (I don't think) because they are not required for the weapon to operate, unlike other parts such as ammo, magazines and firing pins, as the opinion points out.
    Regardless, I think there may be some fruit on this vine for whatever lawsuits are out there today regarding suppressors. (I don't think there are any. Shame that.)

And now.... everybody tell me I'm full of crap.
    But do so constructively..

Your post is pretty much right on. I think by Miller any firearm we posses including SBR are protected by 2A ( goes to supporting the militia)
    . Getting SC and Judges to agree is another issue. I understand 'dangerous and unusual are silencers and machine guns as fully auto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom