• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    I did some searching, didn't really find much. I am currently waiting on my HQL (day 18) and the question came up, am I able to lay-away or "purchase" a handgun before it goes approved? Found a couple that I like locally, and didn't really want to miss out. I understand that I cannot take it with me until the HQL. I don't think it makes a difference but I do own guns prior to 2013.

Thanks!

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    You may be able to put a "deposit" on one, no such thing as starting the paperwork or "purchasing" a handgun in MD without the HQL number.

You won't even be taking it with you with the HQL in hand, you'll still be waiting 7 days after the paperwork.

Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    You may be able to put a "deposit" on one, no such thing as starting the paperwork or "purchasing" a handgun in MD without the HQL number.

You won't even be taking it with you with the HQL in hand, you'll still be waiting 7 days after the paperwork.

Yup, I realize I wouldn't be taking it with me. I was pretty sure the dealer wouldn't start the paper work until without the HQL. I guess the main question was about the "deposit".

stank

Lifes Good
    Oct 20, 2008
    Pasadena
    Most shops seem to be willing to work with people on this. You could even pay in full and just do the paper work when the HQL comes through.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Ask the shop.

Most will take a deposit to hold for a reasonable time. Some may required a "restocking" fee if you get disapproved for the HQL. ASK.

Some will start the paperwork with just the HQL number, but will need to have the actual card to pick up. Some will not. Ask.

clarksvegas

Jul 8, 2011
    Escaped to TX
    Some places have a layaway and might take some proof of application as good faith enough to take a deposit. check with the dealer to see if they'd go with it. otherwise you're just waiting on the response from MSP.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Well you won't be buying a couple as soon as you get your HQL, it's one per month unless you are a MD Collector.

Not true. He is permitted to buy "a couple" (two handguns) in one transaction from the same dealer at the same time… But the stipulation is he cannot buy a third handgun until 60 days has elapsed.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Found a couple that I like locally, and didn't really want to miss out.

Ok, here's my take, and it has nothing to do with the HQL or waiting period.

You may be under the impression that you might "miss out", so you want the security of having a "lock" on something with a down payment.

The reality of the situation is, you are 100X more likely, if you spend any amount of time looking around, to find a BETTER deal, than you are to "miss out" on a deal. If you put money down on a gun, you will most likely lose at least part (possibly all) of your deposit, if you later decide to go with another deal instead.

Trust me, there won't be a shortage of handguns for you to choose from. By waiting and continuing to look around, you increase your chances of getting a better deal. Real, "once-in-a-lifetime bargains" are rare. There's always another gun, another dealer, and another day.

Another thing: If you have a good idea of what you want, and walk into a gun shop with HQL in hand, and CASH IN HAND to pay for it in full, they are a lot more likely to cut you a deal.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Good deal? Where? I haven't found any dealers in MD that sell for less than 100% or more of MSRP. Very rarely you might find a "sale" which is usually a manufacturer sale where they throw in a free magazine. I buy out of state and ship it to my FFL.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You are shopping at the wrong gun stores.

And probably NOT making multiple purchases at the same store to build a relationship.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Some will start the paperwork with just the HQL number, but will need to have the actual card to pick up. Some will not. Ask.

As per MSP L&R; the HQL must be in the hands of the purchaser before the application can be submitted to MSP L&R. If this has changed very recently, I'm not aware of it.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I think Pinecone is alluding to the allowance of starting the application rather than SUBMITTING it.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'll go for the idea that for current production popular pistols, there's always another one around the next corner.

For for older production "seasoned" pistols , you can't always find the particular combination of gun , condition, and price.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    As per MSP L&R; the HQL must be in the hands of the purchaser before the application can be submitted to MSP L&R. If this has changed very recently, I'm not aware of it.

I think Pinecomne is alluding to the allowance of starting the application rather than SUBMITTING it.

Why start the paperwork before HQL arrives when the customer has to physically appear in the shop with the HQL in hand to show IN PERSON to the dealer their HQL??? Doesn't make sense.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Eighteen days? Wow, I had mine in six as well as many others did. Back log or something is up..

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Thanks for the clarification.

I know in the early days, some FFLs would submit the paperwork before the card showed up, but after approval and number assigned.
    I quess MSP stopped that

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom