SBR AK Pistol on state police list? C39 SBR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ProGun

Feb 20, 2015
    So the new law as of 10/13 says no more AK rifles but as the law reads SBR's are considered handguns....correct?

So if I buy a Century C39 (specifically) "pistol" can I then complete a form 1 and mount a stock on it? Has anyone tried? Will it go through?

Any input would be great? Any particular FFL to use or can/should I just do it myself and where should I go to get the LEO sign-off.

Thanks a lot! Would make a great range blaster for plinking and blowing away watermelons:party29:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It would be more accurate to say that the MSP does not consider SBRs to be copies of the named assault long guns.

ProGun

Feb 20, 2015
    Awesome! Thanks, so you think I'll be gtg? An AK pistil is about useless if I can't put a stock on it.

Opps can a Mod move this thread to the NFA/Class III section. My Bad

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    As long as it is > 29" and does not simultaneously have a folding stock and a flash hider, it should be approved and legal.

Engage has done a lot of my previous "make this into an SBR" transactions, so I would recommend them.

Whitey

Collector and involved.
    Apr 5, 2014
    Central MD
    I don't know where you're located, but Duffys in Baltimore county both sells them and has a gunsmith familiar with AKs. They do class 3 and have always been great at answering questions.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    All of those M92 PAP and C39 AK pistols will fall short at 28" when attaching a standard 10" AK stock. The only way to get around that is to pin and weld a muzzle device to make the 29" OAL, but remember that you cannot have a folding stock plus a flash hider or its a copycat.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    All of those M92 PAP and C39 AK pistols will fall short at 28" when attaching a standard 10" AK stock. The only way to get around that is to pin and weld a muzzle device to make the 29" OAL, but remember that you cannot have a folding stock plus a flash hider or its a copycat.

Using a Manticore triangle stock, folding hinge adapter, and 6° shim will get an M92 to 29" OAL without pinning a muzzle device. In fact, it will be 29" on the dot.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Using a Manticore triangle stock, folding hinge adapter, and 6° shim will get an M92 to 29" OAL without pinning a muzzle device. In fact, it will be 29" on the dot.

What's the length on the manticore stock and does anyone have any idea where to get one?

zekers7

Oct 1, 2014
    Based on some calculations seems like a M92 with a retro VZ58/2008 folding stock will just hit 29"

stock is 9 5/16" unfolded. M92 shows a stat of 19.75"

Puts it right at 29.06"

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    A muzzle break is not a flash hider correct ? Who verifies the mfg their device is one one the other ? Does the atf have a test to distinguish one from the other like in the way a device is considered a suppresser if it reduces the report or do they test all comps and flash suppressers to distinguish one from the other. Or do they just accept the mfgs word for it ?

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Based on some calculations seems like a M92 with a retro VZ58/2008 folding stock will just hit 29"

stock is 9 5/16" unfolded. M92 shows a stat of 19.75"

Puts it right at 29.06"

The pistol grip on the m92 extends beyond the rear of the receiver making it the most rearward part on the pap m92 pistol. When measured from the bore to the rear of the receiver it is only 18 7/8 or so inches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom