• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    There are pictures in my link. There's also several hundred guns that Scott Scharf from Scotts Gunsmithing and I'm have seen destroyed when proper removal of corrosive salts does not take place. We didn't take pictures of those examples but in hindsight I'm wish we had.

Just because you don't see corrosion on your example does not mean others wont.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    There are pictures in my link. There's also several hundred guns that Scott Scharf from Scotts Gunsmithing and I'm have seen destroyed when proper removal of corrosive salts does not take place. We didn't take pictures of those examples but in hindsight I'm wish we had.

Just because you don't see corrosion on your example does not mean others wont.

I'm just trying to have fun with a thread that I started about the procurement of non-magnetic ammo for indoor range use.

Was never designed to be a corrosive vs. non-corrosive thread. Though they always turn into that.

Being that you are a religious man, I invite you to march your omnipotent, gunsmithing self (humor) over to my Mug Karma in the WC and add your name to the list.

Or we can continue to sharpen our axes and go after one another with the understanding that I know quite a bit about guns and machining myself.

I, for one, think it's childish and petty, but that's just me.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm just trying to have fun with a thread that I started about the procurement of non-magnetic ammo for indoor range use.

Was never designed to be a corrosive vs. non-corrosive thread. Though they always turn into that.

Being that you are a religious man, I invite you to march your omnipotent, gunsmithing self (humor) over to my mug karma and add your name to the list.

Or we can continue to sharpen our axes and go after one another with the understanding that I know quite a bit about guns myself. And machining too.

Theres nothing childish about giving people soild advice. Thats what I do. If I dont know something about a gun topic, you wont see me opine.

I dont participate in karmas. Not sure what that is supposed to mean, perhaps something about meeting in person? I honestly have no idea what that means.

As far as sharpening an Axe, its not something I set out to do. In your time here, on occasion, you have posted some awful gun related advice. If you had the experience you claim to have they wouldnt have been posted. Age does not = subject expert. Sorry, the advice I have seen you offer in your time here is amateur at best. Being an amateur isnt a bad thing, but an amateur talking with authiority about subjects and offering advice is not an honorable thing to do. Especially when said advice could lead to damaging someones firearm permanently, as in this case.

I dont care about being right, and when Im wrong I admit it. I care about helping people with their gun needs.

FWIW, if you think M67 and other corrosive ammo is not harmful then please explain why so many Yugo SKS and AK Rifles and Parts kits have roached barrels?

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I have toxic sweat. If I don't give my parked or blued guns an exterior wipe-down to remove salts, they will almost ALWAYS flash rust where my grubby mitts have fingered them.

Corrosive primers act the exact same way. Chromed bores, gas pistons, etc will greatly reduce the ability of salts to react with the underlying metal. But eventually, it'll find purchase. Usually in the gas block, gas tube, or even in the bore if there is a defect in chrome application.

Yugo M67 is good stuff. But I've seen what it does to unchromed Yugo AK parts, and even to guys shooting in the humid south on arrival back home. It's so easy to flush out everything with hot water immediately afterwards, there's really no excuse not to.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Theres nothing childish about giving people soild advice. Thats what I do. If I dont know something about a gun topic, you wont see me opine.

I dont participate in karmas. Not sure what that is supposed to mean, perhaps something about meeting in person? I honestly have no idea what that means.

As far as sharpening an Axe, its not something I set out to do. In your time here, on occasion, you have posted some awful gun related advice. If you had the experience you claim to have they wouldnt have been posted. Age does not = subject expert. Sorry, the advice I have seen you offer in your time here is amateur at best. Being an amateur isnt a bad thing, but an amateur talking with authiority about subjects and offering advice is not an honorable thing to do. Especially when said advice could lead to damaging someones firearm permanently, as in this case.

I dont care about being right, and when Im wrong I admit it. I care about helping people with their gun needs.

There was nothing nefarious about meeting in person in my post.

Was simply inviting you to bid on a karma based on your religious beliefs, but you don't do that. Let no good deed go unpunished.

And regardless of what you think about my occasional amateur advice, I've helped more on here than I've harmed on here. Including helping folks who cut me no slack two years ago.

It's called taking the high road and burying the hatchet.

Have a nice day.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I have toxic sweat. If I don't give my parked or blued guns an exterior wipe-down to remove salts, they will almost ALWAYS flash rust where my grubby mitts have fingered them.

Corrosive primers act the exact same way. Chromed bores, gas pistons, etc will greatly reduce the ability of salts to react with the underlying metal. But eventually, it'll find purchase. Usually in the gas block, gas tube, or even in the bore if there is a defect in chrome application.

Yugo M67 is good stuff. But I've seen what it does to unchromed Yugo AK parts, and even to guys shooting in the humid south on arrival back home. It's so easy to flush out everything with hot water immediately afterwards, there's really no excuse not to.

YUP! Hot soapy water.

Treat the entire rifle like it's a black powder piece and corrosive ammo is never a problem.

Of course this is just one amateur's opinion. :)

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    I like to patch clean my bores {after using corrosive ammo} with Simple Green Solution --- then go through my regular copper removal. Gunzilla will also clean out corrosive bores and metal parts {not aluminum} like the insides of gas tubes; because Gunzilla is said to be a cleaner/lubricant and non-explosive.

Gunzilla is vegetable based...but it can remove the varnish on a wooden stock.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I like to patch clean my bores {after using corrosive ammo} with Simple Green Solution --- then go through my regular copper removal. Gunzilla will also clean out corrosive bores and metal parts {not aluminum} like the insides of gas tubes; because Gunzilla is said to be a cleaner/lubricant and non-explosive.

Simple Green seems to be good for a lot of things.

Thanks for the tip.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member

Being that you are a religious man, I invite you to march your omnipotent, gunsmithing self (humor) over to my Mug Karma in the WC and add your name to the list.

Or we can continue to sharpen our axes and go after one another with the understanding that I know quite a bit about guns and machining myself.

I admit that I haven't closely read every post here, but, at least to my eyes, I don't think (1) anyone has predicted the immediate destruction of any firearm that is used to shoot corrosive ammo or (2) anyone has beaten you up over your decision to use the stuff. As far as I can see, people have just posted what they do and don't do and stated information the accuracy of which is not really debatable. I agree that every thread like this eventually turns into a debate on the use of corrosive ammo, but maybe that just can't be helped. IDK.

It is a fact that corrosive ammo will destroy a firearm that is not chromed. This isn't a debatable topic. How long between shooting and irreversible damage? I'll leave that up to the chemists and people with much more knowledge than me.

Personally, I am not afraid of corrosive ammo, use it all the time, and laugh when people turn their noses up at it, because that's just pissing money away IMO. Of course, that just means more for people like me and you. I am very diligent about cleaning, so I never worry that shooting the stuff will harm my firearms. As stated above, though, I choose not to shoot it in my semi-autos, like my Garands and my SKS. It's just not worth the risk to me. I'm sure I'm being overly cautious, but that's what I choose to do. It's "right" for me, and that's all that matters.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    because Gunzilla is said to be a cleaner/lubricant and non-explosive.

One vote for Gunzilla. I absolutely love the stuff. I discovered it last year at the Great Outdoors Show. The owner had a booth and talked me into buying a starter pack. I've never looked back.

Here's a video from Iraqveteran8888 on this very subject. He shot 2,200 rounds of Yugo through an SKS and then let it sit one month. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AyRX58ZHGg

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Was the point indeed.

Things got a little sidetracked.

yeah, JUST a tad... :D

I'm a bad bad person when it comes to cleaning and caring for guns. I'll just err on the side of caution and stay away from corrosive ammo myself. Dang non-mag non-corrosive is $$$ though.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    In cases where a Soldier, Marine, or Sailor didnt do their job and a weapon was damaged by corrosion the Govt just replaces the weapon. Is that the mentality of a collector or shooter that cherishes their firearm? Especially truly collectible ones that cant be replaced?

That's been my take as well.

As an amateur watchmaker, I've had many similar debates regarding the wearing of (now collectible/valuable) vintage diver's watches in the water. Yes, they were made to be worn in the water, but now that replacement parts're getting expensive/rare/costly, you're better off avoiding using them as originally intended. Better safe than sorry....and that goes for guns/corrosive ammo as well.

Sirex