• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Just like the title says. I did some testing after finding some rust on all the firearms that I treated with this stuff, and tetra applied to mild steel plate rusted faster than the control by about 20x

It's been hard to track down the individual components of this stuff, but be aware. I did some cursory investigating and there are stories of it rusting people's guns all over the internet.

What the hell is going on?

If this is a dupe, please delete.

retafshooter

Apr 28, 2014
    West Elkridge
    Tetra gun grease

Wow! That's a big surprise. Tetra was recommended by Mark at James River Armory for my M1 Carbine. I've been using it for almost a year. I'll have to take a closer look at the rifle from now on.

CORRECTION: I've been using Tetra Gun Lubricant, NOT the "grease." That is what Mark had recommended. I have some grease, but haven't used that yet, just the "Lubricant."

Attachments

• IMG_7207.jpg
      IMG_7207.jpg
      38.5 KB · Views: 1,803

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I've used it for years with no issues...but then, I only use it sparingly on higher friction points.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    All I've ever used and have never had a problem.

But I do have some medium and high carbon steel I will try it on and then place the steel outside.

Would be funny if they designed it to rust. Then you'd want to put more on if you saw rust. Causing more rust. Causing you to want to put more on.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I was big user of Tetra Gun Lube and Grease. Both are lubricants but not much of anything else. I found it doesn't cause rust but it doesn't inhibit it much at all. I still use Tetra Gun Grease and some of the TG Lube on all action and high impact/heavy load areas. There has been no rust from its use. I do not use it as a preservative on anything.

Tetra1

Nov 24, 2014
    I can assure you that Tetra Gun Grease did not rust a metal surface, and certainly not in an accelerated fashion. That is not possible as the ingredients can not cause that reaction.

The symptoms are that a surface that was in a condition that was conducive to flash rust, which is caused by high pH, often created by solvent residue.

If you use any synthetic lubricant correctly, follow instructions and apply to clean, dry surfaces. That means removing the solvent residue, which is not only in the way, but opens the door to rust. Use isopropyl alcohol to get beyond your perceived visual condition of the surfaces.

When properly applying Tetra, polish into surfaces until not visible. You will actually draw out fouling. And in this specific case, I will bet that you will come out with brown or amber on your white cotton. That is solvent. When used regularly and properly, I only see black from carbon fouling. Wipe until you get clean white patches.

Please don't jump to unfair conclusions.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Tetra1, your post was good and informative. Thanks.

Most of the posts, however, seem to point toward it being a poor preservative. That was as I had posted.

Perfect example and in line with what you wrote:

Built a pistol and cold blued it (Perma Blue). Followed instructions, 0000 wooled it beyween coats (several). To prevent rusting, and it will rust, I typically use Breakfree. However having used Breakfree before on fresh cold blue, it tends to thin it. So I went down a notch on the preservative strength and chose Tetra Gun Lube. Heavily lubed, wrapped up in the like soaked oily rag overnight.

Next morning the entire pistol exhibited heavy rust through the Tetra Gun Lube. Clean off with solvent, reblast, recold blued it, used Breakfree this time. No rust.

I was a proponent of Tetra Gun Lube up to that point as a regular use gun lube. After that, it is used only to lube heavier load areas once in awhile. I do like the Tetra Grease and used it as indicated in an earlier post as a lube only.

My Python, 1948 built K-22 Masterpiece and all my firearms only get lubed and coated with Breakfree as a preservative.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    I can assure you that Tetra Gun Grease did not rust a metal surface, and certainly not in an accelerated fashion. That is not possible as the ingredients can not cause that reaction.

The symptoms are that a surface that was in a condition that was conducive to flash rust, which is caused by high pH, often created by solvent residue.

If you use any synthetic lubricant correctly, follow instructions and apply to clean, dry surfaces. That means removing the solvent residue, which is not only in the way, but opens the door to rust. Use isopropyl alcohol to get beyond your perceived visual condition of the surfaces.

When properly applying Tetra, polish into surfaces until not visible. You will actually draw out fouling. And in this specific case, I will bet that you will come out with brown or amber on your white cotton. That is solvent. When used regularly and properly, I only see black from carbon fouling. Wipe until you get clean white patches.

Please don't jump to unfair conclusions.

if you are rubbing a "solvent", as you say, into a blude surface of a firearm and see brown or amber on your cotton cloth, remember, proper gun bluing is a rust. try not to remove any finish.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Never had any problem with it but typically only use it on slide rails, high contact points etc. Light lube (either CLP, Hoppes or whatever else I have handy everywhere else). Honestly for "preserving" I haven't seen anything on a cost benefit ratio that exceeds good old Hoppes gun oil. Sure not the best in tests but in the top quartile each time and cheap and easy to apply with little risk of unexpected reactions.

Like tetra as it stays put, dislike that it burns off quickly under heavy fire.

Find it hard to believe it increases corrosion.

Don't doubt, but please repeat and provide photos!

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Interesting. I was noticing the other day how Tetra seemed to be turning brown on my stainless firearms. I've pretty much switched over to 0w50 Enos for lubrication anyway.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I've used Tetra products for quite a while and haven't noticed any problems. I mainly use the lube on friction points. I've had my old Anschutz target rifle stored for decades with a coating of RIG and that has worked well too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom