• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Smoke Wagon and Blackhawk are radically different. The former is classic cowboy style, with fixed sights, a decent factory action job, and no transfer bar safety. The latter is a modern target revolver, with adjustable sights, a large beefy frame, and (on New Models) a transfer bar safety. Be sure to check out Ruger Vaquero if you lean towards cowboy-style revolvers (with the benefit of a safety bar). I love Blackhawks.

hawkeye86

May 15, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Smoke Wagon and Blackhawk are radically different. The former is classic cowboy style, with fixed sights, a decent factory action job, and no transfer bar safety. The latter is a modern target revolver, with adjustable sights, a large beefy frame, and (on New Models) a transfer bar safety. Be sure to check out Ruger Vaquero if you lean towards cowboy-style revolvers (with the benefit of a safety bar). I love Blackhawks.

Thank you for the education. I've been shooting revolvers for a while, all Da/SA modern S&W. in the shopping frenzy I was drawn to the single actions but the only ones on display were Rugers. In the end I may go for a Super Blackhawk and maybe something more traditional in 357.

JWLaRue

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Nov 23, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    List price for the Smokewagon is $540. The deluxe edition, which has the trigger and springs worked on by their gunsmith, lists for $650. The extra $110 is well worth the price....you essentially get an out-of-the-box race gun.

-Jeff

Raylon Rules

I am Groot
    Feb 19, 2013
    C.C.C.M.D.
    Am I the only one who thinks SA revolvers should be C&R or non-regulated/cash and carry. The last time one was used in a crime was probably the Dalton boys or something else a long time ago. Many are primarily used for hunting. Who in their right mind is going to use one in a stick up in 2013?

I think one of my next purchases is going to be an Evil Roy from Cimmarron/Uberti. They are gorgeous. Don't know which I like better: the case colored/blued or the stainless.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    How much are the Smoke Wagons? Been thinking about a Blackhawk but am open to suggestions.

If its your first one, go authentic. Skip the blackhawk. You want those primitive sights on your first peacemaker, not the big fud sights on the blackhawk. (As much as i like ruger)

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I gotta say, I love my Ruger Vaqueros, I have 4. When I get into cowboy action shooting, ill be using vaqueros. But I just picked up a Taylor & Co. 1873 Cattleman(Uberti) from a friend and its amazing. Ill most likely never own a real Colt SAA. This uberti is the next best thing IMHO. Fit and finish is great. I thought quality blueing was a lost art until I saw this gun. The action is smooth with a nice crisp trigger. It's just more fun having at least one "authentic" SAA.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I have my Uberti 4.75" matte blue, my mew vaquero 5.5" stainless, and I want a real 2nd or 3rd gen Colt in the original cavalry configuration. Mmmmmmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom