• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stank

Lifes Good
    Oct 20, 2008
    Pasadena
    Never been in battle or carried a sidearm professionally but I am very fond of Beretta M9- 92 series pistols. That would be my choice as my Battle sidearm.

Feb 28, 2013
    I hated the M9. Very finicky...a little sand on it and the slide gets stuck about halfway. It's heavier than most other 9mms...just about the last sidearm I would choose.

Good info. :thumbsup:

What the hell ever possessed them to design a pistol like that? Heat dissipation?

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    If you could have your choice of battle sidearm, what would it be?

I'm more interested in everyone's take on make and model here as opposed to caliber.

Pros and cons?

I haven't got to handle any of the Euro pistols much, such as the HK's, Sigs, and CZ's, just Glocks and the American mainstays so far. I know it's an outdated platform, but so far at least, nothing has been able to top the way a 1911 feels in my hand and points for me.

What say you all?

I understand the question, but I am wondering if anyone is selecting a firearm they do not own and why? I would stick with my M&P pistols. I have trained with them. Know them and am efficient with them. Unless someone thinks their current pistol absolutely sucks, why would you choose something you don't own?

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    A 1911 ... and a good gunsmith at my side ... rucking tools and spare parts. ;)

Attachments

• IMAG0235a.jpg
      IMAG0235a.jpg
      90.3 KB · Views: 243

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Unless someone thinks their current pistol absolutely sucks, why would you choose something you don't own?

Because they know there is a better firearm available, but for one of many reasons, they do not or do not YET own one.

I have been a fan of the HK USP for many years. But did not own one.

Proven in combat. Nice to shoot (I had shot one). But just never bought one.

Until recently. :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    But again, we need to properly define the questions.

1) SHTF situation - no infrastructure, you are on your own, ammo and parts hard or impossible to find unless you have on hand.

2) Red Dawn situation - infrastructure intact, you are on your own, but ammo and parts are available, but may be some blocks to getting them

3) Battle situation - infrastructure intact, NOT on your own, have support at various levels, ammo and parts fairly readily available.

If MIGHT be the same for all 3. But the first and last differ greatly when it comes to parts and availability of someone to fix it.

lilgibby

"man gotta have a code."
    Sep 17, 2011
    Elkton
    I understand the question, but I am wondering if anyone is selecting a firearm they do not own and why? I would stick with my M&P pistols. I have trained with them. Know them and am efficient with them. Unless someone thinks their current pistol absolutely sucks, why would you choose something you don't own?

I own a Sig p229r in .40. I chose the Sig p226r as my sidearm of choice and I do not own it. Why? Because I love the Sig platform and am very familiar with it. However its not in the chambering I'd prefer it to be in as I'm a capacity over "stopping power" guy and would like to have 18 +1 capacity in a flush fit reliable magazine and have the slightly longer grip as I feel the 229 is a little short for my liking.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    everyday carry, I don't mind a pistol with bells and whistles on it, decocker, safeties, and extra "things" that move gunking up the outside. It's going to stay clean and pretty much guaranteed won't have any issues to to foreign debris.

Battle....out in the field, dirt, fighting, etc.... I would prefer one that is "clean" and free of ancillary moving parts that would easily invite dirt,mud, rocks, etc... possibly gumming up their operation. I would also think I would at some point be wearing gloves. Another thing that a simple, clean pistol ( Like a Glock ) would work in a "battle" situation.

The more pieces of gear I have for something, the more I want most of it to be a simple as possible.

Pretoria78

URX Fan
    Mar 30, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Interesting personal observation; I witnessed more handguns and carbines stop working OCONUS due to a lack of lubrication than for any other reason. Amazing what a judicious application of Weapon Shield can do to a "jammed" M9 or M4.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I have a lot of handguns and have thought about this a lot. Without a doubt I would want some iteration of a CZ 75B 9mm, probably an SP-01 tactical. It's the most accurate handgun that I have ever fired, excluding a really high end custom 1911 (which will most likely be finicky about ammo). The gun has never had a hiccup on me and I used it in action pistol competitions in Wisconsin in the cold. I love the all steel construction as well. It makes a hell of a blackjack if you run out of ammo.

BTW, you can fit 19+1 rounds of 9mm in it. I choose Gold Dot 9mm+P as my defense load.

BondJamesBond

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2009
    Walther PPK, of course!

All kidding aside..if it ever really came down to it, my M & P 9mm with 17rnd mags.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Whats idiotic is getting worked up in a thread about cars, thus the jokes about Subarus. I posted in my friends thread (Sling Blade) and happened across your post.

LOL

I guess that means the dinner and drinks is a no go then.

Admit it, you have a latent lust for a Subaru Outback. Come out of the closet already. :lol2:

Jim1911

Aug 4, 2014
    Essex, Md.
    If you could have your choice of battle sidearm, what would it be?

I'm more interested in everyone's take on make and model here as opposed to caliber.

Pros and cons?

I haven't got to handle any of the Euro pistols much, such as the HK's, Sigs, and CZ's, just Glocks and the American mainstays so far. I know it's an outdated platform, but so far at least, nothing has been able to top the way a 1911 feels in my hand and points for me.

What say you all?
    MY CHOICE IS A BERETTA M9.Has been good enough for the military for 30 some years. I like the extra fire power you have. Of course my backup will be a 1911.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    MY CHOICE IS A BERETTA M9.Has been good enough for the military for 30 some years. I like the extra fire power you have. Of course my backup will be a 1911.

For the most part, any military unit that is authorized to select their own sidearm picks something that isn't an M9. Glock 17/19s, Sig 226/229, or HKs are all popular amongst those who get a choice.

Personally, I'd go with a Glock 17, but I'm probably biased because that's what I own. I've shot Sigs and like them just fine, but I still prefer my Glock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom