Anyone still using the MDS Trust template?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    Just wondering if anyone is still using the MDS trust template to this day without any problems? I edited one to my exact specs and had my lawyer look it over and thinks it's ok. However, he doesn't specialize in those types of things, more so traffic court and some other stuff.

I'd like to submit another form 1 online using this trust eventually.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Just wondering if anyone is still using the MDS trust template to this day without any problems? I edited one to my exact specs and had my lawyer look it over and thinks it's ok. However, he doesn't specialize in those types of things, more so traffic court and some other stuff.

I use a modified version of that template to allow for future unnamed children to be added to the trust. I use it on my home-built NFA items, so it's only Form 1s.

My Form 4s are on a trust Rusty drew up.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena

I too used a modified version of that template for my Form 1. His template did a great job as a starter. But I felt it lacked a bit law sounding jargon to specifically address NFA items.

Justler

Jan 5, 2012

It works, I submitted and received a stamp for my silencer utilizing it in a modified version. I think part of what needs added is what happens in event of your death or you becoming incapable of making decisions for yourself. Successors need to be included I think. At least I felt it did.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    I love how no one here is a lawyer but thinks they can whip a trust up from a template found on the internet. Look guys, I don't mean to be condescending but you need to wake up and realize some facts:

Just because the ATF signs off on your homemade trust's ownership of an NFA firearm, doesn't mean that the trust is valid. The ATF examiners have a checklist, if you meet all of the points on that checklist, then your trust passes through. You could write a one-page "trust" and get it through the ATF. ATF sign-off does not equal legal review of your trust.

Trust law is state-based meaning that any "template" trust is junk unless you know where it was drafted, who drafted it, and does it accord with your current state's laws on trusts. Have any of you had a MD-licensed attorney review your trust to ensure it validity?

I don't care if you get a trust from me or someone else. I'm not writing this bit to sell my services. If you get it wrong and your template is shit, then technically you've been illegally possessing NFA items for however long those items have been residing in your trust. Why? The trust wasn't a valid instrument under state law and, therefore, was void from the start. Only problem is that the firearms aren't registered to you, they're registered to a trust that doesn't exist. Do you know the criminal penalty for illegal possession of NFA items? 10yrs in the federal can and/or $250K fine. There's no parole in federal prison.

You've got to stop being so cheap and thinking that you can get a complex legal document that still requires an element of skill and artfulness in drafting for nothing unless you like playing games with your freedom and financial well-being.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom