• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I used to teach/guide on Big Hunting but haven't fished it in recent years. Does it still have a 'rock snot' problem? I still buy a trout stamp every year but, haven't fished it in three or four years.
    I built a few bamboo rods back in the day. Even had one impregnated with acrylic. Now they just hang on the wall.

I haven't been back since 2006, the bamboo rods are collecting dust.

The dreaded 'wind knot'. Not really caused by wind but, by poor casting technique. It's impossible to give a casting lesson in writing but, a couple things to consider.

Another cause of wind knots is too big a fly for the diameter of tippet used. A size 12 Royal Coachman will spin like a helicopter on an 8x tippet.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I haven't been back since 2006, the bamboo rods are collecting dust.

Another cause of wind knots is too big a fly for the diameter of tippet used. A size 12 Royal Coachman will spin like a helicopter on an 8x tippet.

Try a Dunkin loop and you'll find you won't need such fine tippet on such a big fly. Leave the loop slightly open.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That was an indicator fly :D Had a size 22 Copper John 2' behind it.

Nice. I usually use indicators unless I'm fishing an emerger behind a dry.
    I used to throw big cut winged Green Drakes with extended moose haired bodies. Man, those things would twist the sh!t out of a tippet!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Nice. I usually use indicators unless I'm fishing an emerger behind a dry.
    I used to throw big cut winged Green Drakes with extended moose haired bodies. Man, those things would twist the sh!t out of a tippet!

Heavier tippet to the big fly helps, especially when it's dragging a smaller fly. I found my Bread Fly worked great at Boiling Springs when the kids were tossing pieces of bread into the water. My biggest trout on a fly was caught on that :lol2:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    We used to tie a cased caddis pupa that looked a lot like Purina fish chow and the fresh stickies ate them up on Big Hunting. :brows:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom