• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    I've been going to MSAR but I've just had it with those guys. Won't do Gilbert's since I can't bring my own ammo.
    Anyone got a local range they like? I know there are some great ranges up north and down in VA but I'm hoping to find something that won't take an hour or more to drive to. If I have to drive, so be it. But I'm hoping there's something close by that I just don't know about.
    I'm in Silver Spring just off of 29 and Randolph (Fairland).

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I go frequently to the NRA Range in Fairfax . Rt 66 and Rt 50. 25 minutes from Bethesda.

I'm 10 minutes from Gilbert's but prefer the NRA for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is being able to use your own ammo.

NRA RANGE

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    I go frequently to the NRA Range in Fairfax . Rt 66 and Rt 50. 25 minutes from Bethesda.

I'm 10 minutes from Gilbert's but prefer the NRA for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is being able to use your own ammo.

NRA RANGE

Yeah a lot of people swear by the NRA range. I haven't been yet. I was hoping to find something close-it's kind of a PITA to drive into VA.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    There aren't a lot of alternatives for those of us in MoCo. You could join an Izaak Walton chapter. There are several

Rockville, Poolesville, Damascus are a few.

I go to Freestate in White Marsh with a buddy but that's a haul too.

l730dc

Mar 6, 2013
    Kent Island, MD
    Whats wrong with msar ...I go there sometimes so I know there is stuff thats wrong... Im just wondering what your specific problem was...

im gonna get a membership at agc in marriotsville once it gets warmer

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    MSAR has a reputation for a less than savory crowd that is less than phenomenal with gun safety.

I shoot at Berwyn. It's expensive, but it's also hassle free and I can shoot whatever the hell I feel like up to .50BMG.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Whats wrong with msar ...I go there sometimes so I know there is stuff thats wrong... Im just wondering what your specific problem was...

MSAR is great on the rifle side. Experienced shooters, unlimited shooting time for one price. On the pistol side the "rent a gun gangstas" are the problem. I will not shoot on the pistol side due to the sideways gun holding, pray and spray shooting, amateur, gun renting, wannabe thugs.

l730dc

Mar 6, 2013
    Kent Island, MD
    I dont goto the pistol side... most people on the rifle side have been very nice and friendly... I dont like that I cant shoot bimetal jacketed rounds there.. thats why I wanted to check out agc

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    I use the rifle side only at MSAR, but I'm also looking for an outdoor range when the weather breaks.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I always make mention of 340 Defense in Rippon/Franklintown, WV for the folks who live in the Capital region. I travel to WV a lot to our family farm, and have rode by this place a million times.

Straight up 270 for you, then stay on 340 right before you get to the WV/VA line. Probably 40-45 minutes to get there on a good day?

dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood

I stopped going to MSAR when they started using magnets on my ammo. I can't shoot Tula at MSAR; I can shoot Tula at NRA.

gstaniii

Oct 11, 2013
    Ellicott City
    Made my first visit to Freestate yesterday 2/21- very good shooting experience, friendly staff, unfortunately located on the 'other side of town' from me or I'd go there more often.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    Even though I'm a member of Damascus IW, I still use MSAR during inclement weather. Also due to major medical issues, I'm finding it harder to walk back up the hill on the rifle range at Damascus. The auto target return at the MSAR rifle side is nice.

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    my favorite...
    http://tcandsc.org/
    Thats about right on the hour mark to drive.
    If you are into one of the shooting disciplines like Mosin its open to the public and you can see if you like the range before you join.

Second is the NRA range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom