Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    120 TTSX, 44.0 RL-15, 2.235" Ogive, 7-08:
    20140413_115425_zpsae0e9776.jpg

120 TTSX, 43.5 RL-15, 2.745" OAL, 7-08:
    20140413_124827_zpsde2885d8.jpg

700 short action, Boots tube, VX-3 3.5-10x40 in Talleys, LVSF stock. hair over 6-1/2 with 3 in the mag.

This is the 7-08 that's a product of the overwhelming generosity of some seriously cool dudes. Bout ****ing time I figured out how to load for and shoot the damn thing. :lol2:

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    My only gripe is that the barrel tends to get really pissy when it gets dirty. but at least you know when it's getting dirty; a known-good load will suddenly start stacking shots 1 & 3, with 2 a random flyer in an inconsistent direction (sometimes high right, sometimes high left, sometimes low and in either direction as well). a nice soak with foaming bore cleaner, a few patches, good to go. very VERY EASY to clean....just doesn't like shooting dirty.

pretty sure the groups above illustrate why i'm willing to deal with it....

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    yup. this was the 100 since i was still asplorin loads.

although i had another 6 rounds of each, and after seeing that at 100, all 12 rounds (barrel was hotter'n shit when i got done) smacked the shit outta my 1/4 IPSC steel at 300. given the 15-ish gusts at random, i'm plenty thrilled with that.

adam from lwrci was there and let me play with his 260. sex on a chassis is what that gun is.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Nice groups! I have a Savage 110 in 7mm mag that will do that but ya gotta let her cool after a few shots.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    7-08........ a GROSSLY underrated underused cartridge. just as good as a 270, or 308 maybe even better in some cases. If I weren't in love with the 06 that might have been my #1 choice.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    doesnt really string per se; just opens up predictably to about 2MOA. the steel at 300 is 8x12 plus about 2.5-3" for the 'head'. kept everything on that no problem in a 12 shot string.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Very nice then. Sounds like it is bedded nicely. Normally when the pencil barrels heat up they start touching the stock somewhere along the channel.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    About 1" or so in front of the lug is bedded, and the rest of it is very much free floating...it's a remington MR contour in a LVSF stock, so the channel is inletted for the rem light varmint contour.

it's a spacious layout. :D

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The switch to the A2 profile wasn't really because of accuracy - it was because the A1 barrels were actually getting bent in some combat situations. (And before you object, that's actually info from a first-hand source who was involved in generating the A2 specs.)

I'm a big fan of pencil barrels. The AR just feels phenomenal when you run it light...

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My Remington 700 CDL does open up some after about 5 shots. I let the barrel cool and it goes right back to one hole groups at 100 yards. They're not really made for sustained fire, they're hunting rifles.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    The switch to the A2 profile wasn't really because of accuracy - it was because the A1 barrels were actually getting bent in some combat situations. (And before you object, that's actually info from a first-hand source who was involved in generating the A2 specs.)

I'm a big fan of pencil barrels. The AR just feels phenomenal when you run it light...

That's nice and all but who's talking about AR barrels?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    i run a brux tube*. it really doesn't foul, so that's a non-issue.

but no. rl-15 plain works. no real reason to switch.

* - on the .308. 7-08 (groups posted above) is a Boots tube.

Last edited:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011

That'll happen when you use the mounted bayo to pry open crates, as was done quite often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom