• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    Could some one verify these are m4 feed ramps? Look like it to me but I'm very new to the AR platform

Attachments

• IMG_20150804_154020327_HDR.jpg
      IMG_20150804_154020327_HDR.jpg
      46 KB · Views: 271

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Technically, yes.

But it almost appears as if someone has removed the anodizing from the receiver cuts.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Someone opened up the ramps and did the cuts with the barrel in the receiver.

Walk away.

Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    Too hard to walk away. It was bought new at a local dealer. It is apparently a DPMS Sportical complete upper I picked up.

Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    So I guess my next question is, would it be okay to replace the upper? Would that "take care" of the issue. Since I am assuming (please forgive me) this doesn't effect the barrel. As if someone modified the upper to match the barrel?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    You could replace the upper receiver without issue, I'd guess that someone at some point decided to cut M4 ramps into a rifle receiver - being as it was sold as New, that'd only leave DPMS as the culprit.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Just make sure ramps on the barrel are cut as deep, or deeper than the new receiver's are. If ramps on the barrel are not as deep as receiver's ramps, rounds will hang up on the edge of the bbl. ramp. Figure all this out before mounting the barrel.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    You could replace the upper receiver without issue, I'd guess that someone at some point decided to cut M4 ramps into a rifle receiver - being as it was sold as New, that'd only leave DPMS as the culprit.

or the shop that sold it.

unlike everything on that tv show, that HAS been dun ba-foe.

Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    I had a closer look last night at it, unfortunately it does in fact look like post-finish machining. My Spikes Tactical upper should be arriving today (has M4s). I will have the shop transplant all the parts for me since I lack just about all the tools (apartment living). I am going to point out the feed ramps to make sure the new upper will line up correctly. If it doesn't, I'm not sure recourse I would have. I did leave a message with DPMS last evening. Not sure what they can do to help, maybe just verify it wasn't done by them. At this point I think it just amounts to accept it for what it is and move on.

I think the key here is that I should have done a bit more research before I started buying parts. I'm just glad that the barrel has the M4 ramps. Makes putting on the new receiver a little better since I didn't start researching this until AFTER i ordered the Spike's

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom