• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Hoping someone can clarify, since I'm confused about the number of purchases that are allowed in a given time frame, if you are approved as a "collector"....

One of the allowed multi purchases, lists the reason as "to get a discount" for a multiple firearm (handgun) purchase, but looks to be capped at 2 within 30 days, if I am reading the MSP site correctly...

Does this mean you have to buy BOTH at the same time, or could you legally buy ONE, and (for example) maybe 2 weeks later buy another?

Or is it 30 days after the "initial" purchase, regardless of how many you bought on day one?

Reason I am asking, is that I have one handgun bought and paid for, but still waiting on the paperwork (gun was ordered & still hasn't arrived to start process)...and am considering getting handgun purchase process number 2 in the works, if indeed I am allowed to...(Gun #2 is used, in-stock model)

I read the FAQ's, and both statutes on MSP website, but for some reason they all seem contradictory to one another...

Thanks for any insight...

seawolf823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Dec 18, 2011
    Timonium
    I buy as many as I want when I want. I can buy a handgun at one LGS today and see something at another tomorrow and buy that one too. Oh and if i happen to see something else a couple days later I'm gonna buy that one too.:D:D:D

The best part about getting a collector letter is, it's FRRREEEEEEE!!!!!:lol2::lol2:

Oh and if your not a collector and take advantage of buying 2 at the same time then you have to wait 60 days from taking possession before you can make another purchase if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Having a dc letter and being married is a very interesting thing. I've "traded for a couple or more things this past month.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Having a dc letter and being married is a very interesting thing. I've "traded for a couple or more things this past month.

:innocent0

I've had my collector letter for almost a year. I just got to put it to work for the first time last week :D

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you have your DC letter, you can buy as many as you want, same day, next day, 1 week later, etc.

Without the DC letter you can buy two AT ONE TIME, but then have to wait 60 days before the next one.

Time is counted from pickup to pickup, not when you paid for the pistol. So you could pay the gun shop for 10 pistols on one day, and they would run set of paper work each month, and you could pick up one pistol every 30 days.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    If you have your DC letter, you can buy as many as you want, same day, next day, 1 week later, etc.

Without the DC letter you can buy two AT ONE TIME, but then have to wait 60 days before the next one.

Time is counted from pickup to pickup, not when you paid for the pistol. So you could pay the gun shop for 10 pistols on one day, and they would run set of paper work each month, and you could pick up one pistol every 30 days.

Gotcha, Pinecone...assuming that last part is if you did NOT have the DC letter?
    You actually answered a question that I didn't know I had. I didn't really know if time frame started when you actually did the paperwork, got the invoice, or actually took possession.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Getting the Designated Collector letter/permit is free and relatively easy to obtain. Just fill out a form and get a notary to witness your signature. I got mine in about 2 weeks. I've since used it a few times.

Cal68

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Getting the Designated Collector letter/permit is free and relatively easy to obtain. Just fill out a form and get a notary to witness your signature. I got mine in about 2 weeks. I've since used it a few times.

Cal68

Yessir. Did that about 2+ weeks ago myself.

That's why I was asking, because I have a pistol ordered (should of been here by now), and already have another picked out...

I wonder if I bought and took possession of both before physically having the DC letter in hand, that it would/could be retroactive? :innocent0 In other words, not having to wait 60 days (should I see another I want?), like mentioned above? It sounds like even though you may not have the letter in your hands, if it has been approved, the MSP would have record of it...which looks like that is the only stipulation anyhow...

This is a great site for learning, no doubt. I appreciate all the replies. :thumbsup:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes, the last was without the DC letter.

IIRC, the 2 at once only applies to two on the same paperwork at the same time from the same dealer.

Not sure if you pick up one, and then buy another, submit paperwork, and then get the DC>

The fact that you are a DC is indicated on the 77R. SO I would suspect it would be best to wait until you get the DC letter to submit the next paperwork.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Yes, you must have received that Designated Collector confirmation letter if you go forward with your next purchase before the 60-day clock (on your first two guns) has run out. Don't assume that just because you sent in your DC paperwork that you are good to go.

If some how your DC paperwork was lost or misplaced by USPS or MSP, and you checked the DC box on a handgun purchase before receiving the confirmation letter, you will regret it, trust me.

You do not need to show the DC letter to any seller or carry it with you for any reason. Just check the box on the next set of paperwork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom