• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    half the stuff in that midway kit is pot-metal that's well known for breaking as soon as torque is applied. which is unfortunate, because it's a great idea.....just craptastic in application.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Brownell's has a complete kit of tools for ARs. Not cheap, but VERY high quality pieces.

I have just been buying the tools I need, as I need them. For a lower, the roll pin punches and roll pin starters are good.

Brownell's has a special punch for the bolt hold open roll pin. It had a flat ground down it, so it clears the receiver better.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Brownell's has a complete kit of tools for ARs. Not cheap, but VERY high quality pieces.

I have just been buying the tools I need, as I need them. For a lower, the roll pin punches and roll pin starters are good.

Brownell's has a special punch for the bolt hold open roll pin. It had a flat ground down it, so it clears the receiver better.

I have that punch. It's for removal from the muzzle end rearward. No different/handier for installation. Most lowers you can't install from muzzle end due to the profiling on the magwell. Honestly I just use electrical tape on the receiver and a bench vise with taped jaws to install that one.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I figured that out while building a lower today.

Still nice to have. :)

I found that roll pin holder was great for getting the pin in and into the bolt catch. then finish with a normal punch. No vise needed.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I borrowed tools from a friend for the first AR I built.

Recently I got the Wheeler Engineering AR Kit to complete the second upper. Seems pretty good to me. Torque wrench isn't anything to write home about but is okay for occasional use. I may get the actual armorer's wrench in the future.

Including the small hand tools others mentioned should round out a decent tool kit.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have that punch. It's for removal from the muzzle end rearward. No different/handier for installation. Most lowers you can't install from muzzle end due to the profiling on the magwell. Honestly I just use electrical tape on the receiver and a bench vise with taped jaws to install that one.

Glad I had it. Buggered up a roll pin for the bolt catch and had to remove it. :)

Anderson Rifles sells an Oops Kit. Nice to have around, the commonly lost or damaged parts in building a lower.

I also managed to launch a pivot pin detent. :) But found they are easy to install without the special tool. Glad I saved my money.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    On the MidwayUSA website, ( and Brownell's also, buy Midways is easier to view ) they have a Video Library at the bottom of the page that shows you step by step how to install each component and what tools you will need. But, Larry goes a little overboard with some of the extra tools he would love to sell you. :-) Very good video and easy to understand. Good luck, and show us some pics of your build when complete.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Anderson Rifles sells an Oops Kit. Nice to have around, the commonly lost or damaged parts in building a lower.

Mcmaster sells roll pins in bags of 100....for about 4-7 bucks per bag depending on size.

Of course with lpks for 22.50 from brownells, not a huge thing to have a couple extra full kits and then extra pins from mcmaster.

Stuff like buffer retainers and springs are under a buck each so I usually add a few to each order and build up extra everything that way.

Same with ak springs, extractors, firing pins, etc.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am doing the same thing, having a whole LPK on hand, and buy little parts with each order, especially of the things I have already buggered up or lost. :)

I don't WANT 100 roll pins. :) But if you want to make up a small bag with 10 of each size..... :)

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    You can buy a set of punches with a small brass and nylon hammer for not much money. Other than that also getting an AR multi toll should serve your needs. Maybe a mag well vise block also. They'll all come in handy fro working on ARs.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    To build a lower, I saw no need to use a mag well block. I found it easy to work on with my hands.

Roll pin starters and proper roll pin punches make for an easier build. And less likely to ding up the lower.

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    I picked up some punches and the AR multi tool for the buffer tube so far. I got plenty of tape to tape up the lower while I work on it too. I do not want any scratches in it, at least from building it

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98