• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Try as I might, I simply cannot get away from this cartridge. I have dozens of sporter-weight rifles to pick from for stalking varmint and white-tail duty in a broad range of chamberings but it always seems like I gravitate back to the trusty 6mm. Just this evening (before the storm) I dispatched yet another portly (16 lb.) whistle pig with a nice 75 grain V-max out of the 6mm tube out on my property. I want another .243, period. I'm considering the following:

1) Another (Miroku) A-bolt Browning
    2) Kimber 84M or L
    3) Cooper Model 54

Of the 3, I have no experience with the Kimber. I am very fond of Brownings and have several along with a couple of Coopers (Model 52s) but I'm not sure I wanna lay out the scratch for another one. My questions are as follows:

1) Are the Miroku Browning A-bolts as good today as they were back in the early 90s? I have my eye on a new A-Bolt II but wonder if it's going to be as well made as the one I already own (Free floated w/ glass-bedded recoil lug out of the box, adjustable trigger, etc.)

2) What are the Kimbers like? 84M/L? Are the actions as smooth as the 60 degree throw on an A-bolt? Do they have adjustable triggers? Are they free floated from the factory? I know they are very light and I'm not sure about the barrels. Can I expect consistent 1/2 MOA performance out of a Kimber if I do my part?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

ST.243

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have had good luck with my Savage model 110. Came with a solid Nikon 3X9 scope.

Attachments

• DSC_0084.jpg
      DSC_0084.jpg
      84.4 KB · Views: 161

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    As much as I love Coopers I think I would have to give a FN built Winchester Model 70 Super Grade a try. They have them in .243 listed as a Shot Show special on the current web site. Looks to be 26" barrel and adjustable trigger with other very nice features for 1300.00 list. It's the pre 64 controlled feed action,one of the best ever.
    Other than that I would go with the Cooper,you know what your getting accuracy wise with a Cooper.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I've got a new Browning X Bolt Hunter in 223 that is shoots .500 MOA at 100 yards with cheap factory ammo off of a bipod...

The 243 is a more accurate round the my 223...

The Hunter has a 22" barrel, 41.25" OAL & weighs 6 Lbs 6 oz...

It's very well machined & crafted on a beautiful checkered wooden stock...

It's a superb rifle, made in Japan for $884.90 out the door...

Bass Pro had them on sale about a week or two ago...

You might want to take a look at the Browning X Bolts...

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    As much as I love Coopers I think I would have to give a FN built Winchester Model 70 Super Grade a try. They have them in .243 listed as a Shot Show special on the current web site. Looks to be 26" barrel and adjustable trigger with other very nice features for 1300.00 list. It's the pre 64 controlled feed action,one of the best ever.
    Other than that I would go with the Cooper,you know what your getting accuracy wise with a Cooper.

Thanks, Augie and all. I'll check the Winchester out. I am also aware of the quality that Savage is putting out for the buck, as I have a Model 10FCP-SR in .308 and have grown to really like the accutrigger. The Tika is worth a look too.

My price range is in that 900 to 1,200 window so I'll see what's out there. Taking a trip up to a big gun shop in PA this weekend so maybe I'll be able to handle a few of the different offerings.

Best,

ST.243

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom