Shooting Steel - Want Information on Mounting/Hanging Solutions!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    I'm getting some rimfire steel targets and some AR500 3/8" steel targets. Now I have to decide how to hang or mount them.

Chains or Cable? I was at the range this weekend with someone shooting an M1 Garande at a gong at 100 yards and he was having to stop the line constantly to fix his chains as he was breaking them every 5th shot or so. Let me be clear: He was NOT shooting the chain, it was from the impact and movement of the gong that was breaking the chain. Obviously not strong enough.

I'm sure you COULD find a chain that could hold up to the abuse but that would be huge chain. I'm thinking 1/4" cable for the AR500 3/8" gongs.

So, what do YOU ALL think? What have you used SUCCESSFULLY to support gongs without constant breakage?

All ideas and comments WELCOME!

Thank you in advance!

Scarab

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    I am interested and subscribed.

I have some small steel targets and I am currently working on mounting them. I have some stands that should work, but I haven't ironed everything out yet.

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    Try hanging them using a fabric. Something that the shots will pass through. At least for a good long time. Old fire hoses work well.

I'm not concerned with hitting the chain. I'm concerned with the chain not being able to handle the impact from the movement backward. That's what what happening to the guy at the range.

Scarab

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Rimfire or Higher Power with chains?

Scarab

Both, our club has only shot our targets with center fire rifles once so far but they got quite a work out then. We hang them so that the target leans forward a little bit, they swing some but that's all.

The chain that we use came from walmart, can't remember the size but a 3/8" bolt fits through the link

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    If he has them hanging straight down with no angle that will put more stress on the chain than if you do it like the AR500 website shows you how to. I've done it the way they show and never broke a chain yet. The angle is the key. Need to deflect energy downward. Were his targets swinging wildly?

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    If he has them hanging straight down with no angle that will put more stress on the chain than if you do it like the AR500 website shows you how to. I've done it the way they show and never broke a chain yet. The angle is the key. Need to deflect energy downward. Were his targets swinging wildly?

Yes, they were connected on the two corners of the gong with about 12" of chain. How do you angle the gong back/down with chain?

Scarab

Parshooter

Silent Majority Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    East NC
    At a private range for handgun and rimfire I use Shepherds hooks with a snap ring or chain quick link to suspend up to 10" round steels. For heavier duty go with above.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Yes, they were connected on the two corners of the gong with about 12" of chain. How do you angle the gong back/down with chain?

Scarab

I run 3/8 x 3" bolts through the holes in the targets and run 2 nuts and 2 flat washers on each bolt, with the chain link between the washers about 1 1/2"-2" back off of the target so that the target is offset and leans forward a bit at the top.

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    I used schedule 40 1” pipe for all my AR500 Target Stands. in order to hang the AR500 I use a small pipe hanger over the pipe and use 3/8” threaded rod in various lengths and just bend a L shape where I slip the AR500 target over each rod as needed.. This doesn’t work well where the AR500 only has one eye as the threaded rod will spin in the hanger. For all my single eye Ar500 I used landscape timber to make my frame and then used a Hinge. On the cross piece I put a 1x1 stripe of wood across the length then used exterior screws to where I could place clay pigeons between the screws and they were held in place.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not sure of weight or size of the plates. What about heavy duty rubber bungees?

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    People will hit the chain eventually. Last time i used eye bolts, ran a 6 foot piece of rebar through them, bent down the ends and set them into the ends of pipes driven into the ground.

Good luck

Jerry

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I recommend using fire hose, the rounds pass through the hose. Come out and shoot as a guest at our steel plate rifle shoot at the AGC this Saturday from 9:00 - 3:00 p.m. and see how we do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom