• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    deer.jpg

http://smnewsnet.com/archives/234459/dnr-releases-2014-15-deer-season-results/

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I'm going with less deer. That's less deer for the hunter during hunting season. There are a lot of crop damage, deer permits and I don't believe there numbers are included in these figures. I've got a friend who hunts almost exclusively using crop damage permits from the landowners. He only bow hunts, so he can get in and out without anyone knowing. I'm almost positive, he said he doesn't have to record his kills.

Jim Smith

madmantrapper

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Carroll County
    I know a guy here in Carroll that killed 65 deer last year crop damage. I don't know if he is supposed to check them in or not but I would bet they are supposed to be counted some how.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Indeed. It's not due to the bag limits being too low.

I'm going with less deer. That's less deer for the hunter during hunting season. There are a lot of crop damage, deer permits and I don't believe there numbers are included in these figures. I've got a friend who hunts almost exclusively using crop damage permits from the landowners. He only bow hunts, so he can get in and out without anyone knowing. I'm almost positive, he said he doesn't have to record his kills.

Jim Smith

I killed as many this year as last year (I usually give some away, can't use it all). I saw more this year than last year, but just not where I could shoot them. The acorn crop was massive and until late Jan, felt like the deer just were not hungry and moving.

The standard explanation is the acorn crop (few acorns = more movement, more interaction), but it's hard to tell. I looked back over the data and +/-10% year over year is not unusual. The late season deer I killed seemed like they had more fat than usual.

'04 Cummins

Defenestrator
    I sure saw less deer, I got skunked this year, not one deer in probably 50+ hours in the stand. I only saw the same 40lb. pipsqueaker 3 different times. Not sure where they all went. They were rarely even showing up on the cameras...

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Skunked as well. Was pumped as got a new bow this year But due to some personal obligations did not get out till later in the season. Heard them early two mornings before sun up but we're ghosts after. Made it out 6 times. Next year going to hit it hard.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Yeah. Gotta wonder what license sales looked like this year. Time spent afield also. Outside of early season bow hunting, I have a hard time buying the acorn/mast crop theory. Deer that are being pushed tend to move pretty darned well.

And you would think they'd end up in someone else's crosshairs when pushed and shot by another hunter.

They simply weren't around this year.

At least not in the Hereford Zone.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I'm going with less deer. That's less deer for the hunter during hunting season. There are a lot of crop damage, deer permits and I don't believe there numbers are included in these figures. I've got a friend who hunts almost exclusively using crop damage permits from the landowners. He only bow hunts, so he can get in and out without anyone knowing. I'm almost positive, he said he doesn't have to record his kills.Jim Smith

nope, they are reported. if we don't report enough we loose our permits. they want us to get rid of as many of those cockroaches as possible, as do we farmers.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    The deer numbers in Maryland are never accurate anyway. People don't check them in, and others report a 2 doe harvest just to get another buck tag. Big factor that messes the count up is. With Marylands liberal limit, there are a lot of non residents that will kill a deer in their home state and check it in on maryland liscense. Example Pa. With their 1 buck limit.

Gunlawyer

Jan 18, 2013
    Knoxville, MD
    I had a kinda slow season too

Only got 3 out of a potential 4 Maryland bucks. Tagged out with 3 bucks by early/mid rut and by the time I could shoot antlered again, the bucks were not moving anymore. Never did get to fill that last buck tag. Some years are like that I guess.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I was skunked this year but I didn't hunt too hard either. My buddy took two out of my woods this year... there were plenty of signs and plenty of sightings, just never saw any when it counted.

4 days hunting the antlered vegetable thieves and I came up empty as well. I actually saw more Turkey than deer. Goose...now there I did OK.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I got out once before the knee replacement, after that I didn't even sniff the woods.

Jim Smith

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Another reason it seems like there are less deer is that they move more at night...If pressured a lot they may have gone primarily nocturnal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom