• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    I have always been a fan of the Nikons and have recommended the M223 line to many but I have only shot others never had my own. Well now I want a scope for my 6940 I am looking to shoot mostly 50-150 yards.

I am thinking either 2-8x32 or 3-12x42

I am trying to decide between the Nikoplex and the BDC.

I shoot normally 55gr and 62 gr ammo if that helps.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I have a 1-4x20 and have shot it out to 200yds with no problems. On 1x I can use it both eyes open. They now also make a 1.5-6x24 with a 30mm tube that sounds perfect for what you want.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have the 2-8x with BDC. Great scope, especially in the range you plan to shoot. Get a set of angled open sights and you'll be covered from 0 - 500 yards.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    The BDC on the M223 is not very good for distance. Those circles are quite large at 300+ yards.

IMHO, a 1-4x is a better match for the 6940. The 3-12x would be complete over kill.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Only issue I saw witht he M-223s were complaints that the turrets could move too easily. Any comments from anyone?

This has been an urban myth since these scopes came out.

I own and love my fixed 3x32 M-223 scope.

The turrets are not loose, spongy, mushy, or move on their own if breathed on, etc.....

Mine has very positive and stiff clicks which lock the turrets in place nicely.

You are always going to find some Afghan sniper wannabe who thinks he needs a pair of vise grips and a 4 foot extension bar to adjust his unnecessarily tight turret knobs.

Those sand storms can get pretty strong at times and you don't want a grain of sand hitting a turret knob and knocking the dope off your scope.

Nikon makes a great product. Buy it and enjoy it.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Seems like the 2-8 will work best for what I want. Now do I want BDC or no since I may use difference weight bullets?

No!

That's what hold-over and Kentucky windage is for.

Don't buy into the BDC hype.

You could also use a Nikon Pro-Staff in 2x7. It has caps that cover the adjustment devices. I own quite a few of these as well. Great scopes.

Just be careful with this set-up. Some will say your not a "real" AR person if you put a hunting scope on your AR.

bman940

Bart, Nikon Pro Staff
    Oct 11, 2010
    North Texas
    I agree with a number of the guy's who have suggested Nikon's M-223 2-8 BDC 600 scope as your best option. This scope will give you the capability to punch holes in paper all day long and if the opportunity presents itself, take accurate longrange shots as well. I have used Nikon's BDC reticle to shoot 4 inch jars of Tannerite at 500 yards and 10 inch steel plates at 600. It all comes down to entering the most accurate information that you can. Chrono your load, don't just take for granted what the stated MV is on the box, also measure your scope height from mid bore to mid scope and enter that information as well. I think you will be very pleased with the accuracy you will see.
    To throw one more scope into the mix, Nikon has a new 1.5-6 Illuminated reticle, 30 mm tube that should be out very soon if not already. I have had one in my hands yet but I hope to very soon.
    For the question about the P and M designation, the P is for PROSTAFF, Nikon's entry level scope and the M for MONARCH, Nikon's top tier glass.

I'll do my best to keep you guys up to date on Nikon PROMOTION's that will save you some $ on AR scopes. If you have any question's please send me a PM/e-mail and I'll be in touch. I don't do any sales and encourage you to support those who support MDShooters.

Here's a pic of my son shooting my .300 BO with a Nikon M-223 2-8 Rapid Action Turret.

I agree with a number of the guy's who have suggested Nikon's M-223 2-8 BDC 600 scope as your best option. This scope will give you the capability to punch holes in paper all day long and if the opportunity presents itself, take accurate longrange shots as well. I have used Nikon's BDC reticle to shoot 4 inch jars of Tannerite at 500 yards and 10 inch steel plates at 600. It all comes down to entering the most accurate information that you can. Chrono your load, don't just take for granted what the stated MV is on the box, also measure your scope height from mid bore to mid scope and enter that information as well. I think you will be very pleased with the accuracy you will see.
    To throw one more scope into the mix, Nikon has a new 1.5-6 Illuminated reticle, 30 mm tube that should be out very soon if not already. I have had one in my hands yet but I hope to very soon.
    For the question about the P and M designation, the P is for PROSTAFF, Nikon's entry level scope and the M for MONARCH, Nikon's top tier glass.

I'll do my best to keep you guys up to date on Nikon PROMOTION's that will save you some $ on AR scopes. If you have any question's please send me a PM/e-mail and I'll be in touch. I don't do any sales and encourage you to support those who support MDShooters.

Here's a pic of my son shooting my .300 BO with a Nikon M-223 2-8 Rapid Action Turret.

bman940

Bart, Nikon Pro Staff
    Oct 11, 2010
    North Texas
    sorry, image didn't come through.

bryce.jpg

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    No!

That's what hold-over and Kentucky windage is for.

Don't buy into the BDC hype.

You could also use a Nikon Pro-Staff in 2x7. It has caps that cover the adjustment devices. I own quite a few of these as well. Great scopes.

Just be careful with this set-up. Some will say your not a "real" AR person if you put a hunting scope on your AR.

I was thinking that but I really want the M223 for the better glass and this may end up a hog gun or any other creature that runs by my back door.

I am leaning toward no BDC also mainly because my gf or her kids my be shooting it would be better to have them learn with standard crosshairs

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    Hey Zane, I use nikon monarch on all of my rifles. I personally had leupolds, redfields, and bushnells and liked the monarchs the best due to the quality and price point. I have family that use nightforce, but kinda out of my budget and Im not really shooting at people in AFG in dusk.

So I would say go for it!!! I regret selling my only nikon monarch gold...that one was a beast 30mm

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Seems like the 2-8 will work best for what I want. Now do I want BDC or no since I may use difference weight bullets?
    I run a 2-8 BDC on one of my varmint AR's and LOVE IT! I don't really 'use' the BDC, but I like the plain crosshairs in a scope reticle, so that was my choice, no regrets at all. It will shoot 1/2moa all day long with handloads and is a one shot kill weapon on groundhogs out to my average of about 150yd shots where I hunt them.

I tend to use 'kentucky windage' over dialing the scope. I handload, know the ballistics of the different loads I shoot and where they will be along the trajectory path for the load being shot and distance to target.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    For general use, I much prefer the Nikoplex (Duplex-style) reticle. Tried, true, simple. The BDC reticle is pointless for varying loads. You'd be much better off with a real mil-dot reticle for that purpose. For 150yds and less, 2-8x zoom range is more than enough.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I run a 2-8 BDC on one of my varmint AR's and LOVE IT! I don't really 'use' the BDC, but I like the plain crosshairs in a scope reticle, so that was my choice, no regrets at all. It will shoot 1/2moa all day long with handloads and is a one shot kill weapon on groundhogs out to my average of about 150yd shots where I hunt them.

I tend to use 'kentucky windage' over dialing the scope. I handload, know the ballistics of the different loads I shoot and where they will be along the trajectory path for the load being shot and distance to target.
    I need to correct my post.. I do have the Nikoplex with adjustable target turret, not the BDC reticle..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom