• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Is the wooden box required for the 5 pounds you mentioned or the 'above 5 pound' where a license is required?

To all...

Thanks to everyone who responded. Lots of great info. I have printed them out and will go through them again once I complete the class and have at an idea of what I looking for. I will probably be PMing a few folks here for advise after the class as well.

In the mean time I will keep an eye out for the 1K bullet deals and the 5K primer deals. I had to order reloading books (Lyman's 49 being one of them) online as my local library didn't carry any.

If you want to possess more than 5 pounds at your place of reloading/home, you are required by MD law/fire code to get a license from the State Fire Marshal, and use an approved container.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    A wooden box is required over 5 lbs as I recall. I am building one anyway because it is what the powder manufacturers recommend.

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    What about something like this? I know building one would be cheaper. Doesn't look like it has any hardware on it but brass could be added if need be for handles. I have never bought smokeless powder before so I am unsure of the container size(s) they come in so know if it/they would fit. I Assume most we would get here in MD is 1lb containers to get to the 5lb limit?

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=794352&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=WX2*0206934268000&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&gclid=CIzI3ZPv6L0CFYt9OgodxSYA2A

Attachments

• wood box.jpg
      wood box.jpg
      84.8 KB · Views: 78

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    What about something like this? I know building one would be cheaper. Doesn't look like it has any hardware on it but brass could be added if need be for handles. I have never bought smokeless powder before so I am unsure of the container size(s) they come in so know if it/they would fit. I Assume most we would get here in MD is 1lb containers to get to the 5lb limit?

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=794352&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=WX2*0206934268000&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&gclid=CIzI3ZPv6L0CFYt9OgodxSYA2A

My IMR powder comes in containers about as big around as a 32-ounce Nalgene and a little shorter. The Unique I have came in a container about as tall as a Nalgene but not quite as big around. So if you buy a container that can hold 5 Nalgenes, you'll probably be fine.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    The powder manufacturers and federal requirements I saw call for 1" thick walls. You may want to size it to handle a few 4 lb containers in case you get the permit.

Doug S

Trufflehunter
    Jan 21, 2013
    If you want to possess more than 5 pounds at your place of reloading/home, you are required by MD law/fire code to get a license from the State Fire Marshal, and use an approved container.

Has anyone done this? I *might* have a "friend" that recently found 5 lb bottles of their favorite powder available online, and they MAY have picked up two to save on HAZMAT fees...

Wondering "for him, of course", if the license is something I should recommend.

Dukes Defense

Oct 2, 2012
    Has anyone done this? I *might* have a "friend" that recently found 5 lb bottles of their favorite powder available online, and they MAY have picked up two to save on HAZMAT fees...

Wondering "for him, of course", if the license is something I should recommend.

Hypothetically, If your friend reloads the powder in excess of the legal limit and while only possessing the legal limit at one time, then there should not be a reason to get a permit if they are in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations.

The law is also clear under Maryland Statute Public Safety Title 11-105 that a "person" cannot be in possession of more than 5 lbs of smokeless powder... So while you can debate whether this is per household, the law is clear that it is a "a person" so if a person only has albs then they need not obtain a license. The issue then becomes storage in the household. This is addressed in two parts. First each person should have separate storage areas/magazines/containers to make it clear wrt possession who possess what, then its a good idea to store each possession under the SAAMI smokeless powder guidelines that the Fire Marshall uses to ensure proper storage; http://www.saami.org/specifications.../download/SAAMI_ITEM_200-Smokeless_Powder.pdf

MARYLAND STATUTES AND CODES
    Section 11-105 - License required; exceptions

§ 11-105. License required; exceptions.
    (1) Subject to paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person need not obtain a license to possess or store up to 5 pounds of smokeless powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition, and up to 5 pounds of black powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition or for use in the loading of antique arms or replicas of antique arms, if the smokeless powder and black powder are stored in their original shipping containers and are possessed only for personal use in firearms

If your friend doesn't have the time or the means to reload everything while being in possession of more than the legal limit, they must have the permit in place before taking possession. If that is not possible then they certainly can gift the powder to another individual at the time of delivery so that no one is in possession of more than the legal limit of powder.... Seems convoluted doesn't it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom